Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 06:21:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI wheel studs  (Read 1568 times)
trucktramp

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:59:33 AM »

The PO of my 5A was kind enough to mount tires on aluminum rims but did not put on longer studs.  Several studs are broken and all of the nuts have just a few threads to hold onto.  Since I need to change the rubber on the bus I want to change the wheel studs too.  Are these studs MCI specific or can I get them at my local jobber/NAPA.  I have heard that MCI gets alot of money for them so I'm not against using aftermarket parts.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:02:57 AM »

Got mine local.Auto wheel and rim (mostly big trucks now). A local brake and electric supply also.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:09:03 AM »

Try a local truck parts place. Studs for aluminum wheels are 5/16" longer than studs for steel wheels. Or, you can the standard studs and the nuts that are made for aluminum wheels. Those nuts have a threaded shoulder that seats in the hole of the aluminum wheel.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
LUKE at US COACH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:38:49 AM »

Hi Dennis & Folks:

If you can't find the studs for aluminum wheel locally, we have them in stock.  You can reach us toll free at: 1-888-262-2434.

I Hope this Helps!!!!

Happy & Safe!! Bussin' to All.

LUKE at US COACH
blank

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »

Or, you can the standard studs and the nuts that are made for aluminum wheels. Those nuts have a threaded shoulder that seats in the hole of the aluminum wheel.  Jack

Are you saying you can use the standard steel wheel studs, and with the aluminum wheel nuts it will work?

Just for giggles, how much is a set of 20 studs? Clifford said we better be sitting down if we ask MCI, and that only MCI were the correct ones???.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »

I am not saying they are not out there in the after market but I have never been able to match the same stud in Dorman or Euclid brands 14 bucks each from MCI the last I bought for a 9.
I am not one for aftermarket parts on the front end of a bus period no way would I use the China made studs on the front to save a few bucks

good luck
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:15:33 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
blank

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »

I am not one for aftermarket parts on the front end of a bus period no way would I use the China made studs on the front to save a few bucks

good luck

Trust me, these days I go out my way to avoid buying anything Chinese, even if I have to buy used or go without. If we want a pump or a jack or some stupid tool or part so bad we'll sell our country out for their garbage, we deserve everything we get.

But I dont have any problem with aftermarket parts that are of OEM quality.
flynbanjo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 01:46:48 PM »

Just for giggles, how much is a set of 20 studs? Clifford said we better be sitting down if we ask MCI, and that only MCI were the correct ones???.

I paid $15.00 each from MCI.  So that is $300.00 for a set of twenty

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »

Trust me, these days I go out my way to avoid buying anything Chinese,

I even started buying Chinese food made in Mexico!! Grin

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: