Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 03:15:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I got hookups!!!  (Read 10363 times)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2011, 09:00:27 AM »

... actually there are TWO books that are available that refer to the electric code.
... There is also what I call the users guide ... that explains in layman terms all the code talk and specifically addresses code changes

I believe what you are referring to is the "National Electrical Code Handbook," also published by NFPA and released with (or shortly after) each code revision:
http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product.asp?pid=70HB11

This book, which, as you note, is more expensive ($149) than just the Code, contains the full text of the Code inside, so it is actually a larger book (even though the word "handbook" might lead you to believe the opposite).  But along with the code it also contains additional notes, photographs, illustrations, and explanations.  When I bought my first NEC many years ago, this was the edition I chose, and it was invaluable in helping me to understand the meaning and reasoning of some of the more obscure code passages.  As you wrote, once you know your way around the code, having the extra notes becomes less important, and when I bought subsequent editions I bought just the plain code.  Nowadays I buy it in downloadable PDF format, so I don't even have a book lying around the house.

If you are going to buy either edition, I highly recommend you wait for the 2011 edition, due out later this year.  Otherwise you will be stuck with the 2008 edition, soon to be superseded.  The 2011 will be in effect through 2014.

There are also a number of third-party books and guides for electricians that are smaller and less expensive than either of these.  In addition to be written more in "plain English," they stick to covering only the topics you are more likely to encounter.  So, for example, when you buy the Code, you are getting a chapter dedicated to wiring in theaters, which have specialized requirements, that most people, even professional electricians, will never need.  The basic guides omit those sections, as well as sections on wiring over 600 volts, low voltage cabling, and the like.  Often these books are a better choice for the handyman, but you need to get one based on the most recent code (at this writing, 2008).  Also note that none of the basic guides will cover the special provisions that pertain to RVs.  For that, I recommend George Myers' book.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »

Okay, I have some other projects Im working on at my property. I believe the book with the illustrations for dummies is exactly what I need. Yes, it is more $ but still cheaper then hiring an electrition and with simplified instructions at my level (like what I got here in this thread!) I wont kill myself........ WIN-WIN

George Meyer's book is as good as ordered!

Thanks again!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »

Ya know, we are really very proud of you.  Perhaps it's because you are a girl in a man's world here, but you more than hold your own.

Look over this whole thread and imagine that it was started by a guy.  In the vast majority of cases, ego would have gotten in the way of listening and the thread would have disintegrated into how stupid the codes are and I ain't gonna follow no stupid code.

So, even though I disagree with you on politics, you are one cool chick!

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »

Grin Grin Grin
Ok, I couldn't decide between

"jeez, len, get a room"

"Dude, ask her on a date already"

and

"Code?  CODE???  I don't need no stinkin' code!"

so you got all three... Grin Grin Grin

OK, now group hug... Wink

Brian

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »

Well, more like a daughter or even grand daughter, but yeah, group hugs are fine.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2011, 10:48:02 AM »

secondary panels to green bar by itself (at least here)... and im still using the 05 book....and NEC isnt difficult to understand if u actually read it carefully

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2011, 03:35:05 PM »

The 2011 code and "handbook" is already available and being enforced here

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2011, 03:13:50 AM »

Ya know, we are really very proud of you.  Perhaps it's because you are a girl in a man's world here, but you more than hold your own.

Look over this whole thread and imagine that it was started by a guy.  In the vast majority of cases, ego would have gotten in the way of listening and the thread would have disintegrated into how stupid the codes are and I ain't gonna follow no stupid code.

So, even though I disagree with you on politics, you are one cool chick!

WOW!!! I just really dont know what to say except...... awe, shucks. What a giant compliment, and coming from you who I often clash with on political stuff and all! Wow! Thank you  Grin But honestly Len, I have seen several of the guys in here take beatings on thier projects...... Im not the only one. I think we mostly all come here to learn and not just to pump our chests. But I am really, really flattered. Thank you  Wink

Grin Grin Grin
Ok, I couldn't decide between

"jeez, len, get a room"

"Dude, ask her on a date already"

and

"Code?  CODE???  I don't need no stinkin' code!"

so you got all three... Grin Grin Grin

OK, now group hug... Wink

Brian

Brian

BIG GROUP ((((HUGS)))  And I might add that I sent the album link to my son who now thinks he has the coolest mom ever!! Absolutely PRICELESS!!!!

Um, but he just dont know how VERY MUCH help I got here!! I told him, but he doesnt get it and wont do forums or facebook or any of the social stuff (he's wierd for a kid...... what can I say, although he has dad who wont teach him anything about cars and a mom who is bound and determined to do a complete bus conversion so I guess strange things are to be expected lol Poor kid!)

Well, more like a daughter or even grand daughter, but yeah, group hugs are fine.

Can I borrow the keys to the bus? Can I have some cash? What's for dinner?  Grin Grin Grin

secondary panels to green bar by itself (at least here)... and im still using the 05 book....and NEC isnt difficult to understand if u actually read it carefully

Thanks for info!

The 2011 code and "handbook" is already available and being enforced here

Melbo

Good News!!

hmmm, maybe this would have helped at home but Im sure it wont help me in doing the electric on the bus....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: