Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:03:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aluminum extrusions for old MCI bay doors......  (Read 1254 times)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »

I found today that I'm in need of some new aluminum extrusions for the upper part of the bay doors  for my MC5A.

I sure do wish I'd found or bought the linkages for the cantilevered doors...but, be that as it may, I'm stuck with what I've got!

I was told today that I could purchase (2) 28" lengths of this item for $90 per length!  I won't mention the company, because I have a good relatationship with them, but this is getting rediculous!

If anyone has a better idea or supplier...I sure would like to hear from you.

Thanks,

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Burgermeister

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 04:36:19 PM »

Is this extrusion for a bay door hinge, or??
NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 04:21:10 AM »

Marc, the parts I need are actually for the two rear most doors behind the rear wheels, the air discharge doors with the louvers in them.  They actually meaure 26" each..but I could cut what I need from a bay door extrusion if I could find one.

NCbob

Burgermeister

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:49:33 AM »

Again,  I'm not sure if you need a structural part for the door or specifically a hinge extrusion, or Huh?

I have a "9" that I won't be using those doors, if it's a help!

Marc.
NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 01:37:44 PM »

Marc, perhaps I wasn't specific in explaining my needs.  The are two aluminum extrusions which hold the rubber hinge material on the older model MCI's. One attaches to the body of the bus and the other to the door, whether it be a storage bay or in this instance it's the air cooling outlet doors behind the rear wheels.

I have removed the doors for repair. These are the only two doors that you cannot simply install the new hinge material in the body portion of the arrangement because they've installed them flush with the skin.  So they need to be removed to install a new hinge rubber.  I found that salt and IL winters has taken its' tool on the aluminum.  Each piece is 26" long.  Wish I'd have taken my camera to the barn today...but I didn't.

If pics will help, please advise.

Thanks,

NCbob

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 02:06:57 PM »

I'm not an MCI guy (yet) so I'm not sure this will help.  Fred Hobe has replaced the rubber hinge with SS piano hinge.  Taka a look.
http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/fredhobe.htm

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dale MC8

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »

I recently replaced the hinge on the battery door of my MC8 as per Fred Hobe's suggestion (see Len's post.) I DID NOT, however rivet the hinge in the same way the old one was fastened but drilled out the rivets holding the skin in place (see picture in Fred's article,) slipped the hinge under the skin, drilled holes in the hinge using the original location holes and riveted the new hinge in place. Looks and works great.

HTH

Dale MC8

Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.
Burgermeister

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 09:35:09 AM »

NCbob,

I'd go with Len and Dave's suggestions

Marc
Dale MC8

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 09:42:59 AM »

Marc, my name is DALE..............lol

Dale MC8

Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: