Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 10:53:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROOM TO BREATHE  (Read 5046 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 02:28:34 AM »

Dan -

Amador Stage Lines, eh?

Good carrier, one of the better ones in CA.

Been around a long time, has a good PM program, only a couple of headline-grabbing boo-boos due to driver error in the 30+ years I've been familiar with them.

Sister company to Royal Coach Lines out of San Jose, CA, another top-notch carrier.  (Not business-wise, but family-wise.)

If in the market, wouldn't hesitate to purchase a used coach from either company, but alas, at a premium price due to condition.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

PS:  I probably would have said to black socks: 

"Since you seem to be pretty well-informed, I'm going to ask you a dumb question, see if you can give me an intelligent answer.  Ready?  Listen carefully: Is it possible (pregnant pause), that the manufacturer of this bus just might have sold new vehicles to other bus companies besides Trailways?" 

Then enjoy watching his facial expressions as he tries to answer intelligently. . .   Grin

Yeppers, right out of Sacramento.  I used to live in Hayward by the way.  I wrote them an email about it, and they did not respond.  I liked your pregnant pause response, I will remember it.

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 02:29:57 AM »

When I tell a non bus person that I own a real bus most say why do you want to own a school bus?

Things were going well and good until this was mentioned.  Wink

Our first bus, was a schoolie, so I know of what you speak.  We used to call it the "Okie Winneabago."  Wonder what ever happened to it?

Thanks for your comment,

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 02:30:32 AM »

TV broadcasts are now in color?Huh Wow!! what will they think of next?  Grin

And three-D.

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 02:32:27 AM »

What was the difference in a 10s and the 10sc ? any of you guys have a 10SC seems like only 20 were built  

good luck

Oh my Gawd ..... My string is NOT going in the direction that I wanted it to ... What will I do?  What will I do?

Okay, now you are on the hook Clifford, "You are obligated to tell us the difference."

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2011, 02:34:15 AM »

Mr. Boxcar Okie:

Awesome post! Congrats!

When I told a friend I was in the process (good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise!)getting me a bus, he said, "I thought Volkswagen stopped making them!"

Now that is rich.  I like that.  Do you know how Volkswagon people tie their tennis shoes?

With little Knotsies.

(Don't go reporting me to any moderators now)

Glad you liked the post.

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 02:38:28 AM »

Great story I can only understand the newbe part. I thought an ebay number was a vin
to a bus. I wish that dam bird would stop singing so loud.
  Kevin

Look at it from this perspective Kevin ... We are ALL newbies at one time or another, no shame in that.  I find Newbies refreshing, their enthusiasm cannot be matched, they are primed and ready to go, they can and often do move a mountain accomplishing their respective tasks or chores.

It is the posers, the fakes, the so-called experts that tend to sink my boat.  I can do without them.  I remember the day I picked up my first diesel, which I have to admit, overwhelmed me to no end.  The previous owner smiled, and he said to me, "Day #1 Don, everything from here on out, is on the learning curve, be ready."

He sure didn't sugar coat that one and he was right.

Thanks for checking in,

BCO

Post Note:  After looking at this, it is apparent it would have read better if it were all condensed into one comment/answer thing (Okie Technical term) and next time, I will do that.  Hey Van?  I am ready for my ballon!

BCO
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:40:46 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »

BUS Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »

This winter at a gas station somewhere in Texas I was approached by a couple red necks who came right out with it; "can we look inside?".  I said sure, stand on your tip toes and look in the windshield.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
qayqayt

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »

Thanks BCO.  I always look forward to your posts and often read excerpts to my wife.  Our old coach also attracts the inflexible coffee cup guy but sometimes it's a retired driver who has fond memories of driving the old girls.  We've met some interesting people who just can't help it... they have to ask about the bus.  

My folks, now long gone, used to drive their old camper van all over the USA.  They would stop at a bar in some "back woods" town and put a package of Canadian cigarettes and a $2 bill on the table.  Eventually it would lure someone over to ask and next thing you know they were having a great time swapping stories with the locals.  They slept in many pub parking lots in that old camper.  We don't have $2 bills anymore but our bus often starts some interesting conversations with friendly strangers.

We like the bus club rallies and have actually run into people who know our coach and have helped with advice or comments.  There is always someone quick to criticize or offer cutting comments especially about the older coaches but overall I think the rallies are worth attending too.  I've just learned how to cut the conversation short when I need to.

Bryan

Bryan
Vancouver BC
GM PD-4108
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »

BOOMER:  This winter at a gas station somewhere in Texas I was approached by a couple red necks who came right out with it; "can we look inside?".  I said sure, stand on your tip toes and look in the windshield.

Man, that is cold dude, really cold.  I am too short to pull that off, and I hear in jail, they really like us little white pasty faced boys, I am just going to say, “Uh the wife is asleep or something like that.”  Last time I filled up, I was standing on the opposite side, and this guy says to me, “What are you doing?” and I said, “Buying fuel.”  So he says, “Where?” ... I say, “Other side.”  Then he says “Why aren’t you over there?” and I said, “Who wants to look at that ______ !” 

$399 and some change, and we had fuel when we pulled in ... Please insert LOL or smiley face here.

BCO

QAYQAYT:  Thanks BCO.  I always look forward to your posts and often read excerpts to my wife.  Our old coach also attracts the inflexible coffee cup guy but sometimes it's a retired driver who has fond memories of driving the old girls.  We've met some interesting people who just can't help it... they have to ask about the bus.  

My folks, now long gone, used to drive their old camper van all over the USA.  They would stop at a bar in some "back woods" town and put a package of Canadian cigarettes and a $2 bill on the table.  Eventually it would lure someone over to ask and next thing you know they were having a great time swapping stories with the locals.  They slept in many pub parking lots in that old camper.  We don't have $2 bills anymore but our bus often starts some interesting conversations with friendly strangers.

We like the bus club rallies and have actually run into people who know our coach and have helped with advice or comments.  There is always someone quick to criticize or offer cutting comments especially about the older coaches but overall I think the rallies are worth attending too.  I've just learned how to cut the conversation short when I need to.

Bryan

Hey Byran, thanks for the comments, I don’t usually read my bride anything I see on the net, but then again, “I like her happy, if she is happy, then I am happy.”  I desire to be nothing more than a happy, happy man before I depart this life. 

Bus rallies are good and bad, I will give you that.  And you are correct, “you do meet a lot of good folks at these gatherings, no doubt about it.”  It is like that old axiom, “you sometimes have to kiss a lot of frogs, before you find your prince.” 

I wish I could curtail the useless banter and learn how to exercise self restraint on some of my comments.  Like most American’s I have the right to remain silent ... but seldom afford myself of the opportunity.  I will attend one or possibly two rallies this year, and hopefully will discover the joy of comradeship with other members of the tribe.   

Glad you liked the post.

See you in the fast lane

BCO

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 09:45:10 PM »

After spending many years riding my bike all over I found that stopping for fuel was one of the best parts of my trips. Generally it was time to stretch the legs and being a bad a$$ biker on occasion I may even light up a cigarette!! Grin But talking to the locals as they came and went while you were plopped on the sidewalk taking a rest really gave you some good clues as to the type of individuals that called that area home. But the most popular question I get at the majority of all my stops is "Are you headed to Sturgis?". I might but it's not for 3 more months!!! Wink

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2011, 01:12:39 AM »

, the entire nine yards.  

You do know that the "whole nine yards" pertains to the length of the .50 calibre ammo belts in a P51 mustang, dont you?  You might wanna know that the next time some historian walks over. Or that the P-38 lightning had the wrong blowers put on and were only good at low altitude? I learned that from an Eagle guy. I thought he was full of his own excrement but he knew his facts.

I think the key to dealing with dumb people when you wanna get away is to throw something at them thats way over their head. Start talking about the speed of light or relativity or supercolliders or the Saturn V. High physics/science stuff. That should frost their brain pretty good. But God help you if they are a nerd and actually know whats up. Youll be out there talking til the cows come home.

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2011, 03:25:30 AM »

After spending many years riding my bike all over I found that stopping for fuel was one of the best parts of my trips. Generally it was time to stretch the legs and being a bad a$$ biker on occasion I may even light up a cigarette!! Grin But talking to the locals as they came and went while you were plopped on the sidewalk taking a rest really gave you some good clues as to the type of individuals that called that area home. But the most popular question I get at the majority of all my stops is "Are you headed to Sturgis?". I might but it's not for 3 more months!!! Wink

Too many people for me, don't like large groups and I feel totally uncomfortable walking around with a handkerchief on my head for head apparel (ear ring is okay just don't want a snot rag for a headpiece) .  

I certainly don't think a Cushman Eagle qualifies either.  Best I stay home.  I saw a sign in Wyoming once, it read:  "Warning:  Do not irritate the locals."  You ever seen one of those?

BCO
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:39:06 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2011, 03:27:52 AM »

, the entire nine yards.  

You do know that the "whole nine yards" pertains to the length of the .50 calibre ammo belts in a P51 mustang, dont you?  You might wanna know that the next time some historian walks over. Or that the P-38 lightning had the wrong blowers put on and were only good at low altitude? I learned that from an Eagle guy. I thought he was full of his own excrement but he knew his facts.

I think the key to dealing with dumb people when you wanna get away is to throw something at them thats way over their head. Start talking about the speed of light or relativity or supercolliders or the Saturn V. High physics/science stuff. That should frost their brain pretty good. But God help you if they are a nerd and actually know whats up. Youll be out there talking til the cows come home.

Art .... There was this nuclear physicist and he was riding around in his limo one day and his chauffeur said to him, "Man, you have it made." and the good doctor said, "How's that?"  So the chauffeur says to him, "I have been watching you.  Every night, you get up on the stage and you give your cheesy speech on nuclear energy and fusion and then you collect your money and go to the next gig.  You have it made.  I have heard that same old tired speech so many times, I could give it in my sleep."

So the physicist says, "Okay, next time I give it.  YOU get up there and YOU give the speech, and you will see how easy it is."

So the chauffeur agreed.  

The next time he gave the speech, at the end of the talk, he did as the professor had done numerous times, he asked if there were any questions?  And one guy, in the back, stood up and asked a question about nuclear energy and fusion.  The Chauffeur rolled it around in his mind a little and then said to the guy ... "In all the years I have been giving this speech on nuclear energy, that is undoubtedly the dumbest question I have ever heard.  It is so dumb, that I am going to call my chauffeur up all the way from the back of the room, to this stage and have HIM answer it for you."

The next time I come across one of these black shocks, brown shoes, pocket protector full of pens, I am going to stand my ground, look 'em firmly in the eye, and then say:  "Yeah?  Do you know how to load a Smart car? ...  That should do it."

BCO
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:47:03 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: