Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 11:35:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: loading a smart car  (Read 8174 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 07:55:09 AM »

Nothing like the ease of which a truck can be maintained and repaired compared to a bus-one of the big main reasons I'm using my Kenworth cabover for my truck conversion.  It's higher so I can get my fat belly underneath easily and everything is servicable by a normal truck mechanic.  It will create some very relaxed cruising as compared to when I drive the bus wondering if it is going to break-even though I've rebuilt everything in the engine compartment including the transmission, rear end, new air bags, new steering gear. And being 40ft, anyone can drive it since (at least here in Calif.) it is considered a 3 axle house car.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 07:58:15 AM »

Buying a semi is like buying a bus, or at least it was a few months ago.  Market in the toilet.  Especially for trucks with over 500K miles on them.  If you get one that has had good fleet maintenance, they should have minimal problems.

Yes, the upkeep is higher, but the Dodge upkeep is a tad on the high side if any of the major diesel parts go bad.  If it was an automatic, he would have to change the converter at about 100K miles and most of the transmissions did not last all that long.

The issue I always think about with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck pulling a big trailer is the brakes.  If the trailer brakes would fail to apply for some reason, they would be toast.  With the class eight truck, they should be able to control it very well.  The big truck also will likely have jakes and that will make a huge difference on the hills.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:02:44 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »

To add to Sean's post, over dimensional permits are not obtainable in some states if the load is "reduceable"; in other words, if something on the load or vehicle can be removed to bring it within legal dimensions.  Any half way observant officer following that rig could see that the Smart put it overwidth.  That said, not having to cross a scale will probably go a long ways towards not getting caught.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »

If you would like to see the world of HDT trucks go to this Escapee's site:
http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?s=b694c6280f41f034971300bbc323f564&showforum=32

These guys are serious RV haulers!

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 10:30:16 AM »

I should have mentioned earlier that the HDT community discusses Smart Car mounting regularly, and most who are carrying the newer models mount them at an angle to keep the width legal.  The specific angle is well known in the community, and a friend of ours who is converting a Kenny showed it to us -- it's pretty steep actually.  He put a winch in to load the car.  He is also cleverly using the space under the tall end of the mount for his generator, which is actually a truck APU; pretty slick, actually.  He used to have a Neoplan and is often lurking on this forum, so perhaps he will chime in.

As for "AFAIK," rwc nailed it: As Far As I Know.  I tend to use several of these abbreviations when posting; usually if you just Google them you will get them spelled out:

FWIW: For What It's Worth
IOTW: In OTher Words
BTW: By The Way
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
JMO: Just My Opinion
IMO: In My Opinion
IMHO: In My Humble Opinion (where "humble" is usually tongue-in-cheek)
HTH: Hope This (or That) Helps

There are hundreds if not thousands of such abbreviations.  Most originated in the early days of text-based email; I used them in the 70's.  They became more widely known in the Internet era, and now are enjoying a resurgence with SMS (texting).  If you hunt around the 'net you will find many lists of them, so no need to clutter the thread here with any more of it.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »

I love it... 'the specific angle is well known in the community' 

Kevin Warnock
http://KevinWarnock.com - my blog
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »

I love it... 'the specific angle is well known in the community' 

Yeah, meaning that I, myself, do not know it.  But what my buddy told me is that someone on the HDT forum did all the math, and it is well-known over there that if you build a ramp at such-and-such an angle and set the wheels of the car at precisely such-and-such a distance from the end, then the entire car fits within the 102" footprint.  As I said, the angle is pretty steep, like maybe 20 or so.  Not for the faint of heart if you are going to try to drive the car up on it.  My buddy is using a winch.  Or maybe a wench...

Probably if you did a search on the Escapees HDT forum that someone linked earlier in the thread you can dig up the "well-known" angle.

-Sean

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »

Here is another version of home made smart car crazyness

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 04:13:04 PM »

You guys need to measure the fender flares,rub rails and bumpers on some of these buses they are not even close to a 102 inches wide closer to a 107 wide was the same deal on a 96 inch wide bus too.
I have no idea where just the mirror and lights can exceed 102 inches wide came from if so bus manufactures are in trouble they sure put a bunch on the road from the factory with fender flares lol there has to be a loop hole some where in the 102 law
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 04:18:45 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »

You guys need to measure the fender flares,rub rails and bumpers on some of these buses

I have, Clifford.  MCI, Van Hool, Setra, etc. are all 102" fender skirt to fender skirt (or rub-rail to rub-rail).

Bumpers don't count -- they enjoy the same "safety equipment" exemption as mirrors and lights.

I have no idea where just the mirror and lights can exceed 102 inches wide came from if so bus manufactures are in trouble they sure put a bunch on the road from the factory with fender flares lol there has to be a loop hole some where in the 102 law

Well, transit buses are a different matter.  Most transit districts, being government entities, are exempt from their own laws.

Remember, too, that these width limits are state by state.  The federal code says that, for interstate use, states must allow the safety equipment exemption.  Some states allow other equipment, too.  But if you want your coach to be legal everywhere, then it needs to be 102" or less for everything other than the required safety equipment.  Note that many states limit 102" vehicles to STAA routes, so, for example, in NJ your bus needs to be 96" or less to go anywhere useful.

FWIW.

Here is another version of home made smart car crazyness

That one's illegal for sure.  To wit, it blocks all the tail lights (and license plate), and there are no side markers at the back.  I see this all the time with motorcycles and ATVs, too, although many of the racks do have auxilliary lights on the back and side to keep them legal.  Still, this attachment puts you over length in some places.  In CA, for example, vehicles over 40' are prohibited from many state highways.  Even strapping a bicycle on the back puts you over the legal limit if you have a 40' coach.

Again, not something you hear people getting pulled over for much.  But it's a stiff fine if it happens, and you usually have to correct the overdimensional  and lighting issues before being allowed to continue.

-Sean

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »

Edit, oops! Embarrassed

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »

BCO, Just for you Here is the link to all the Abbreviations you want to know. Juast put one into the search bar and it will tell you what it is. Enjoy

http://www.abbreviations.com/BTW

Dave

Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »

It will create some very relaxed cruising as compared to when I drive the bus wondering if it is going to break-even though I've rebuilt everything in the engine compartment including the transmission, rear end, new air bags, new steering gear. And being 40ft, anyone can drive it since (at least here in Calif.) it is considered a 3 axle house car.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom, please let us know when you want to sell your bus. Grin
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »

Just curious. Has anyone here ever had their bus stopped and measured by anyone from the dot? In fact raise your hand if they pulled you over and did an inspection. I have a fifth wheel gooseneck flatbed trailer I built that is 108 wide at the fenders and I've never had any problems and it's been through a lot of scales. I guess fenders are possibly exempt as they are considered safety equipment!! Roll Eyes

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 09:20:42 PM »

That guy is punishing the frame on that XL.  People never cease to amaze me.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: