Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 05:47:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: loading a smart car  (Read 8096 times)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2011, 06:01:38 AM »

Chev - you're talking *export* here.  I'm guessing what your friend did in South America was illegal there but that's not the point.  Motor vehicles, parts, and (especially) engines must be declared to US Customs and must be US-compliant if they're imported into the US.  If US Customs approve the import of the parts, that's OK but this isn't an easy hurdle (and it ain't gonna happen on an engine).

I'm sure that you know people who have done it and got away with it (I have too) but I've also known people (and by this I mean people I know personally) who had a ride to the nearest Federal Courthouse in handcuffs.

Sorry about all this thread drift but many people out there think "oh, this doesn't apply to me", or "I can find some way around it because I want to" or "I can outsmart US Customs".  These are BAD mistakes to make.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2011, 06:45:30 AM »

Ok.. no further comment.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »

I've no idea if Renault sells cars in the States, but if they do you might be about to get the new Twizy model, which is another smaller-than-a-Smart alternative. Not only is it shorter, but is significantly narrower too as it's two seats are in-line rather than side-by-side.

Renault is a major manufacturer (equivalent to Mercedes), but I don't know if they have any presence at all in the States.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2011, 05:46:42 PM »

I'm waiting for the "Loading a dumb car" post now!!  Wink

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
NEO/Russ
NEO/Russ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2011, 07:45:57 PM »

at least you spelled dumb the right way with a lower case "d"

Well no longer a bus nut, but over the years I learned a lot here and still come back to see what I can apply to the conversion of my KW T2000 for hauling my Teton fifth wheeler.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: