Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 07:10:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What exactly does mode do on B500 tranny?  (Read 1309 times)
belfert

« on: September 19, 2006, 05:31:40 PM »

Does hitting the mode button on a B500 tranny turn on economy mode?  What exactly does it do?  Does it just change the shifting pattern and not change anything on the open road?

I was over at a Detroit dealer getting some harsh shifting looked at and they recommended using the mode button.  It never shifted harshly for them and they didn't fix anything.  For some reason, the bus doesn't seem to accelerate as well now, even without mode on, but it might be my imagination.

Brian Elfert
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 05:44:59 PM »

Hello Brian.

I'm not impressed with that advice to "just use the Mode button" Less than knowledgeable responce, or they don't care about what you care about.

As for the "Mode" button, it depends which way the transmission is programmed.

Typically, there is a performance program, and an economy program, with variations within each.

The performance program downshifts earlier when climbing (at higher revs), and holds gears longer on acceleration (to higher RPM)

the economy holds gears longer(lower revs) when slowing on a climb, and shifts earlier on part throttle upshifts

Whichever is the default operates with "Mode" off, the other with "Mode" on.

On the seated coaches I drive, (not knowing which other adjustments may be programmed in) I prefer the economy setting, because on "performance", the transmission downshifts at the slightest provocation on the highway, for no real gain in performance, just a degradation of fuel economy, and another shift for a passenger to notice.

If I want a lower gear, I select it myself with the keypad, when I want it. No different than car manufacturers, the factory settings still leave a lot to be desired in some real world conditions...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »

I believe the default for the transmission is economy mode, and selecting the mode position (it shows on the display) it changes to a performance setting. The performance setting has harsher shifts.

buswarrior's comments were right on.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 10:10:41 PM »

My Mode setting is for the economy setting.  the standard is the "performance" setting.  For mine, mode holds a gear longer before downshiftg, and upsifts sooner.  Better fuel economy they say, not that I can tell.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
belfert

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 04:47:17 AM »

Hmm..  I wonder if they changed the default from performance to economy?  They did reprogram the DDEC so it doesn't hold the speed on cruise quite so ridgidly as it was upshifting and downshifting all the time to keep the speed constant when on cruise.

The good thing is they didn't charge me anything even though I expected to pay an hour or two for diagnosis.

The harsh shifting is occasionally when stopping when it shifts from 2nd to 1st and sometimes when shifting from drive to reverse and back.  This never happened during their test drives and they checked everything to no avail.

Brian Elfert
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 09:54:06 AM »

Occasionally mine shifts really rough too.  Most of the time its ok, but sometimes when it shifts it really slams.  Its been better since I changed the oil and put synthetic oil back in.  I have had the Prevost dealer look at it several times while its been in the shop, but there were no fault codes, so nothing to do but pray.  It also seems to do it more often when in Mode, after a long drive. 

We both better hope the tranny's last, as I guess they cost in the $15,000 to $25,000 range to rebuild.  That would be a big ouch.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
belfert

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 03:18:57 PM »

We both better hope the tranny's last, as I guess they cost in the $15,000 to $25,000 range to rebuild.  That would be a big ouch.

MCI sells a reman B500 for $10,000 to $11,000.  With labor, it might be $15,000.  Somewhere on their website I saw something where they can put a ZF Astronic in instead of a reman B500 for the same price.  Doesn't help on a Prevost, but I have a Dina that is supported by MCI.

Brian Elfert
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 02:29:16 PM »

Rebuilt B500R was just sitting there beside the door when I was at MCI Newcastle last week....

If I had only brought a few strong friends and the truck....

They wouldn't miss it, would they?

I would strongly recommend you go drive a ZF Astronic with a knowledgeable person to demonstrate and coach you before you think about buying one.

If you are shown all that it can do for you, you might like it, or you might hate it.

No matter what you do, it does not accelerate as smartly as the Allison, lots of gear changes as it works to 10th gear, but the Allsion will cause massive fuel consumption to launch hard.

No free lunch, as they say!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 01:44:50 PM »

Brian, did you get a chance to check the drivetrain - u joints,mounts,etc?
If you have a good tech that you know with a Pro-Link, ask them to activate"fast adaptive", then drive your bus.
This usually gets the trans to shift smoother.
Sammy  Cool
belfert

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 04:39:48 PM »

Brian, did you get a chance to check the drivetrain - u joints,mounts,etc?
If you have a good tech that you know with a Pro-Link, ask them to activate"fast adaptive", then drive your bus.
This usually gets the trans to shift smoother.

Yes, all that stuff was checked by C&J Bus Repair.

Brian Elfert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: