Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 04:13:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: Would you be likely to attend a rally at a "No Alcohol" facility?
Yes - 37 (52.9%)
No - 24 (34.3%)
Maybe - 9 (12.9%)
Total Voters: 70

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rally at a "No Alcohol Allowed" facility?  (Read 7618 times)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »

Never again! my party was over before it began. Oh no not the three WWW's again!!!  Grin Kiss

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2011, 04:28:47 PM »

TomC,

You missed the point.

It is not whether or not one can go three days without a drink, it is whether one is denied the choice by arbitrary or moralistic rules.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Tom, the following is not directed at you, just a comment in general.

There is no place here for judgmental posts concerning other busnuts. One should only speak for oneself.

There is nothing immoral or sinful about drinking alcohol. The immoral part is judging others.

If the sign said "NO Drunks" it would make a lot more sense!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »

I can do without the weed but Willie ,Waylon,and Lonestar Beer is not all that bad lol

good luck

Smokin' weed makes you uh, uh, .... I forget.

BCO

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »

I've been to many places where there was a "no alcohol" rule that was only there to provide a tool for the management to use if things got out of hand.
Never has anything been said about discrete drinking.
As for the right to choose - I'm all for it until it crosses the line.
I don't go to campgrounds looking for rowdy behaviour just like I don't go to bars & dance halls looking for peace & quiet.

That "no alcohol" rule is usually simply the result of inconsiderate behaviour of a few. . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2011, 06:28:02 PM »

I can do without the weed but Willie ,Waylon,and Lonestar Beer is not all that bad lol

good luck

Smokin' weed makes you uh, uh, .... I forget.

BCO

What were we talking about?   Cheesy Cheesy So no alcohol. That would be pretty hard to enforce. I wouldn't really have a problem unless they were fanatics like other things I detest when fanatics get involved. If it's to have some leverage against loud parties and such, all for it. If it's to have control over others with their ideas and beliefs then I really wouldn't want to be involved anyways. To each his own.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »

good luck

The picture I had painted of you completely flew out the window with that statement.

Anyway, let me know when and where the BYOB Rally is and I'll try to make it.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »

I've been to many places where there was a "no alcohol" rule that was only there to provide a tool for the management to use if things got out of hand.
As for the right to choose - I'm all for it until it crosses the line.
I don't go to campgrounds looking for rowdy behaviour just like I don't go to bars & dance halls looking for peace & quiet.

That "no alcohol" rule is usually simply the result of inconsiderate behaviour of a few. . . .

You see, if Kyle had posted this before my post, I wouldn't have had to stumble all over myself trying to say the same thing. My post are a good example of where more words mean more confusion.

Anyone Netflix the West Virginia Whites yet?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »

In my many years of attending the EAA fly in at Oshkosh Wisconsin where federal law stipulates 8:00 hours bottle to throttle for drinking  I have never had a problem or second thought about drinking.
 As rules on what someone can or can’t do seems to be a restriction on personal freedoms and unless their personal freedom becomes a problem with someone else’s sensibilities there should be no problems. That’s my $.02

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »

My impression or feeling is exactly like Sean's.

My *behavior* would probably be to buy a six of very good India Pale Ale, put them in the fridge, enjoy the entire rally, and drive out with them forgotten in the fridge.

If the rule were to be "We have a no-alcohol policy and we reserve to right to search any vehicle that comes through our gates", then that would be a "H*LL NO".  If the rule were to be, we're going to walk around looking in peoples' coffee cups for alcohol, that would be a "definitely no".  If it's a "we prefer a place where people are responsible about drinking and the way that we enforce that against the idiots who would give us problems is to ask people to not display open containers in public and behave in a reasonable, responsible manner", then I wouldn't let that stop me.

I have been going to a music festival for over 20 years that has been held on a remote "environmental campus" of a State university.  The university's insurance policy has always been written -- "no coverage for any alcohol"; the insurance underwriters also require them to restrict alcohol.  Their rule to participants is "our insurance doesn't cover alcohol and we ask you to behave in a way that does not publicly display it and also behave in a way that is responsible in its use". (Of course, with our litigious society, if a drunk walks across a meadow in an "environmental campus" [i.e. not overly "civilized"] and trips on a drainage grate, he and his lawyer will sue the organizers, the university, their insurance company, the brewer of the beer and anyone else around -- and those defendants will have to spend more money than most of us have in our buses just to defend themselves even if they "win", but that's a political problem.)  I've never had a problem with that policy -- although I would prefer that it wasn't an issue.

Now hold on thur Pilgrum.  Why is it you think the rest of us would give that yahoob a single dime.  You too aren't smart enuf to git outta jury duty but I suspect your smart enuf to see thru that one.  Me too.  You put your finger on the problem though, plain and simple.....POLITICS.  A bunch of slickers have you convinced that you are the only one smart enuf to see thru this crap.  Only you and the attorneys that they hire to blow smoke up your byecrackey till your eyes are grey.  BP gets all frothy in the mouth about the money they are paying out down in the Gulf.  They want that TORT law stuff brought to a halt.  So does the power companies that own neuc plants.  If we could just agree to limit the cases to just us and the ones we like we would be just fine.  Problem is some jerk is gonna start incinerating woman and children with some appliance even after he has been warned about his products liability and his solution will be to abolish TORT laws.  I'll keep my law and let you refuse to sue those God fearing capitalists that are only trying to make a buck and send their children to private colleges like Yale.  

FOR EXAMPLE  In Texas....God bless Texas... they tried mightely to abolish Tort Law.  Big Oil and Big Pharma and Big almost everything is really BIG down in Texas....God bless Texas...  W tried mightily to get Tort nixed and failed so his fall back was to have "Punitive Damages" limited to $200K for malpractice suits.  Well, I watched Dr. after Dr. troop up to the witness table and lament their mal practice insurance bill and lament how they could treat all the li'l chillans for almost free if it just wasn't for the high cost of mal practice that was driven to astronomical levels of cost cause the malpractice awards were just so dang nabbit hi in Texas....God bless Texas...that the philanthropic Insurance companies, really Big in Texas....God bless Texas...  So just look at how the cost of medical insurance has plummeted in Texas....Blessed be the name of the Profit.....er, God bless Texas.  Anybody know how Texas....blessed be the name of the state of mind/Texas.... compares to the rest of the country in terms of Mal practice insurance.....how bout medical services to ALL chill'ns under 40.  Or life expectancy as compared to the rest of the Corp. Colonies?  The USA is # 21 in the world and I am wondering just how much Texas....God bless Texas....is dragging us down...errrr...  I mean improving our national/international standing.

Now you gotta know I haven't even looked up a single tiny bit of the stats on this but I was there for the fight to abolish Tort law cause it would improve everything, even baldness.  Yep O Rooney, folks......sounded a lot like Snake Oil Salesmen or maybe a Pol with deep sympathies for the common mans BIG insurance company.  I'll bet there is a Texan....God bless Texans, everyone... in the crowd that will take umbrage at my very insinuating that all the blondes in Texas....God bless Texas....aren't natural  
Blondes.

Boy did this get legs or what?  And this being only my seventh cup of coffee since 7pm PT.  Anyway, Oonrahnjay started it....Honest.

As they say on the X Files...."The Truth is Out There".....Way out there.

John

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:20:28 PM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Seville

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »

After a long hard drive of 10 or 12 hrs, the first thing I do when I pull into a campsite is have an ice cold beer!
Then I'll have my second one as hooking up the shore power.

I have yet to go to my first bus rally. It would be really sad to not be able to eat and drink with fellow busnuts who have driven hundreds of miles to celebrate the hobby we all love so much.
Our wonderful buses!!

New York City
1984 MC9 6v92T
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2011, 04:50:00 AM »

Exactly.  Which is why I said that I wouldn't have a problem right up until the point where they ask me on check-in whether or not I have alcohol onboard. 

Where I come from there are a couple of "no alcohol" weekends at the provincial parks because of past misbehaviour by college age students.  On the Friday preceeding those weekends the cops will actually set up checkstops outside the parks and roust the kids, checking trunks etc for alcohol.  But if you appear to be over "a certain age" they just wave you through.  Its kind of depressing actually to get waved through.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2011, 06:07:28 AM »

...  But if you appear to be over "a certain age" they just wave you through.  Its kind of depressing actually to get waved through.

Yup, just like when store clerks no longer ask for your ID when you buy beer.

I remember one time at Wal-Mart the woman ahead of me in line actually got upset when the clerk didn't ask for her ID and was fuming to her husband about how she must be looking old now.  The clerk was uncommonly smooth though.  He said something like "Your husband looked old enough to buy it so I didn't ask for your ID".  That made her feel better and the husband appeared relieved that the clerk had defused her.  It probably would have been a miserable ride home otherwise.
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 07:09:31 AM »

When I was 16, I worked in a convenience store.  The owner insisted I card everyone.  I can't tell you how many ladies that were sooo happy to show me their id.   If only I wasn't so naive.....   I could have had a really fun time,  wow,  the memories.... Wink   

sorry for thread drift....  I do agree the policy is in place so when things get rowdy and they can eject campers based on policy.  And also agree with Bob that after a certain age, well, we have earned the right and know how to hold our alcohol.  It is really about keeping the peace in the park.   Really think it is a non-issue for knuts.  Show up and have fun.  (plus, the stories always get better after a little nip or two) 
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 07:30:04 AM »

A female friend of Paulas who is about 65 was carded at the Thompson (GA) WalMart yesterday when she purchased a bottle of wine. She told the clerk "Thank you".  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
blank

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2011, 08:13:58 AM »

sorry for thread drift....  I do agree the policy is in place so when things get rowdy and they can eject campers based on policy.   

Not necessarily. Some dry counties are vehemently against any alcohol consumption. Period. And it goes far beyond simply seeing drinkers as alcoholics or rowdies, and straight into the Bible and callin y'all sinners. Saying Jesus didnt turn the water into Wine, he turned it to Grape Juice (new wine), etc., etc.. Well whatever. I dont need to handle snakes to prove my faith either.

I dont think any campground would ask to search your vehicle, and if they did they can kiss my a$$. But if they say no alcohol, they now have the right to evict you if they catch you, and it might be after dark and maybe sic the sheriff out to enforce it. Not my deal, after driving all day I want to get rid of my worries and kick back and relax, and I wont be paying good money to park in any Campground with a bunch of Nanny rules.

But by all means, y'all go and have a great time. Looks like some wouldnt like having the likes a me around anyway.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: