Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:51:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lost job. selling 4104 cheap  (Read 7609 times)
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »

Jordon,
 Just saw on the news here in Boise a new plane company is coming might check in to it
best of luck
Kevin

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 08:53:01 PM »

Jordon,
Sea Port is the name of the company in Boise Id. Give it a try what do you have to lose
My your life be blessed
 Kevin

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 04:22:45 AM »

Lots of companies offer guard services for remote installations. You HAVE to have your own camper. Live on site They pay all utilities. Good pay. Good job. Lonely though. Her's one of them:

http://www.alcatraz-security.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=27

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 05:41:32 AM »

Jordan, it sounds like you have made up your mind.  But please take a little more time to think it through and listen to folks that know what you are going through.  I know how frustrating and hopeless it feels to be in your shoes.  I was there a few years ago when I had a different small niche business and WM and every drug/gift store suddenly decided it was good business and jumped in.  I lost everything.  That was when I got a bus and moved into it.  Without that, Mom would have spent the last of her life in a nursing home and I would have got some job I hated and lived in a cheap apartment I hated and would have generally been miserable.  Instead I live cheaply in a bus, loving it, and look where it led.

Now your situation is a lot different from mine in some ways, but your economic trial is very similar.  With one good plus, you already have a converted bus.  There is a lot of wisdom and experience in what everyone here is telling you.  Your chances of getting a job you enjoy will be much better if you are mobile to live where you need to for the job.

Talk to your dad about it heart to heart.  Obviously he believed in your dream enough to finance it in the first place.  Likely he will be no more satisfied with you losing money and being upside down in the loan than you will be.  And while your parents have evidently offered to let you move back in, they would quite possibly like to see you remain at least partially on your own feet.  As others have said, there are options for living in it with little or no cost, or better yet even with pay.

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 07:41:05 AM »

Jordan,

Take from an old guy who has been around the block a few times.  Things will get better.

Now, for the kick in the pants.  You are unlikely to get $11K for a 4104, no matter how nice it is.  Maybe $7-8 if you are lucky.

So I, along with some others here, say keep it.  Leave it listed on all the free sites but keep the price up there at $11K.  It won't sell, but it will show your dad that you are trying.

In the meantime, if a job comes up 500 miles from home, you have a way to get there and a place to sleep that doesn't cost a fortune until you are back on your feet.

You are young, you have marketable skills, and you have friends here.  Concentrate on finding the job and don't be afraid to take a chance on something out of the box.

Good luck.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
jordansinthesky
Otterpilot

Me at work.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 10:08:59 AM »

Thanks again for all of the advice guys/gals.  I am sad to hear that I may only be able to get 7-8k for this bus.  I must have been a sucker paying 15 for it then  Angry   If  I can't get at least 10 for it, I will be forced to keep it.  As for all the job advice, I am not going to be able to fly for some time due to the loss of my medical certificate caused by health problems that are putting me on medications that the FAA doesn't approve.  My main problem with keeping the bus and living in it is that I am not a technical person, and these dang things take constant technical upkeep, and seem to suck money that I don't have.  At this point my dream is simply over, and it would be a huge load off of my back to be out from under this bus (pun intended)  So  I guess I'll just keep trying, and hope that someone realizes that this bus is worth more than 7-8k.

1957 PD4104.  Self proclaimed youngest busnut in the nation.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »

Im sorry to hear about your health problems..... kinda the same thing happened to my son. All his career dreams were cut off due to health issues at 17 years old! One thing about it, you are both still young and can develop marketable skills that your health wont interfere with. It would be much more difficult to develop health problems that cause a career change at middle age.

As for the bus, no you werent a sucker. In fact you got a good deal. There has been a LOT of problems/changes in the mideast recently (even more then usual) and fuel prices have gone up sky high since you bought the bus though and the price of large vehicles has just completely gone in the toilet. When you bought your bus, a few months ago, the market was down on large vehicles...... but not as bad as it is now. The large vehicles are waaaaayyyy under valued right now. If/when fuel prices and unemployment settle down the value will go back up.

As for working on these with "technical" stuff, stay in this forum and be active. These ole guys are a TREMENDOUS help! Did you see what I just went thru with the hookup thread? As long as you are willing and able to do the work, ask for help. One of the best investments I have made for my conversion is a tool called "an internet compatible camera" that takes good pictures lol  AND as an added bonus, like I tell my own son, you will be learning some dang good skills that will help you thru life and are even marketable! Good 2stroke mechanics are a dying breed!

And for another thing, this bus you own has actually given you marketable skills already as a professional bus driver! Go get a CDL
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:07:52 AM by happycamperbrat » Logged

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »

Lots of advice here, keep in mind things will get better for you..I second the idea of getting your CDL. I drive for a USPS Contractor, the pay is very good, 2 days a week off, home every night.

If this job ever goes I can drive my bus about 80 miles south of here park it, stay in it weeknights and come home on weekends, and drive a truck for one of the several Natural Gas Companies doing Shale Drilling and make good money there. I would be away thru the week but it would beat going over the road and I would kind of enjoy staying in my bus.  The Gas Drilling Companies have hookups, I see a lot of campers/RV's at their terminals. You might not ever use your CDL but it would be good to have, you never know... Long story short I can see an advantage to being your age, having a bus and your CDL.

Rick
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:15:33 PM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 06:39:40 AM »

I don't go along with all the naysayers.  My personal economy is doing fine.  You don't have to participate in the recession! 

You have learned a lesson here about debt.  This whole situation would feel different if you didn't owe for the bus.  I have learned after a long time of banging my head against a brick wall that I am better off NEVER borrowing money for anything from anybody!  It really is possible to live that way if you are determined to.  Right now you feel like a slave to your Dad.  I doubt he feels that way, but you probably do.  All I can say is "suck it up..."  List the bus for sale, but if it doesn't sell right away, do whatever you can to make money and make some kind of payments to your Dad, even if they are pathetic.  Get creative.  Buy the book "The Power of Who".  Great book on getting a job in today's world.  Keep your head up.  Life happens.  Learn from it.  The painful lessons are the ones you will never forget.  God Bless!

Marc

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2011, 07:25:35 AM »

Are you, qualified as a ground school flight instructor, or could you get qualified?  There seems to be plenty of flight school work out there.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2011, 07:54:54 AM »

Im getting the feeling he is just done with the Bus and wants to move on. Weve all been there a time or two.

If not, I would get a subscription to AOPA and talk to their medical dept about approved meds, find a different Dr, change your diet, get some excercize and get your health back, etc..

My Dad has had type 2 diabetes since the late 90's, and living with us, his diet had made us more aware of watching sugar and carbs. But his Heart Attack two years ago got us watching salt and calorie intake, which led to reading all the labels on the crap the world wants to feed us. That led to an almost complete stop in boxed foods, with real meals made with fresh meats and veggies. The difference that has made in all of us from a health standpoint cannot be overstated. I would relate the change to detoxification.

Its just not normal for everyone to be sick and have medical problems and severe allergies, especially when young.
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2011, 08:42:57 AM »

You are unlikely to get $11K for a 4104, no matter how nice it is.  Maybe $7-8 if you are lucky

Things must be really bad down there. Here in Alaska I would bet you would sell it fast for 15k. That's an idea Roll Eyes Alaska has a lot of work in the summer months, you could bring the bus to Alaska, work for the summer living in the bus, then sell the bus at the end of the season. Wink
Sorry to hear about your situation,

Gary

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »

Sorry to hear about you situation.

But sounds like a chance to learn a little about your bus and how to work with it.  I was off for 6 months last year sure was tuff but good to know that both the buss and the 35 ft Avion travel trailer are paid for and if the house goes there is some place to go.

Though I was going to have to take one of them out of town and stay in one of them part time while working.

My wife was diagnosed with Caliac deiese just the first part of the ear the change in the food we eat is helping.  She has had problems with dibeties and it is going away and things are changing.

I suggest you let the guys here in this group help you learn about your bus as they did me and you will have the knowledge to fall back on later.

Good luck hope it all gets better.  If I can help e-mail me bobgil@sbcglobal.net I hope I can help some one as I was helped from here.

I have not been around much in the last two years but I am still reading when I can.

Bob Gil

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
LesBerg

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »

I don't know what to tell you  Huh though I don't know that I'd take advice from someone who hasn't had a permanent job in almost eight years. Tongue

I won't lie and tell you that I expect things to get better - on the contrary, I expect them to get much worse. Our national debt is currently about 95% of our GDP, and there are economists that expect it to hit 100% in no more than five years. If it does, then the economic problems we have today are going to look like a sneeze in a hurricane. I know just enough about markets, finance, and economic theory to know that I don't want to be caught flat-footed if they're right.

That's no small part of the reason we want a bus. We're lucky enough that at the moment my wife is working on several $40/hour contracts that should last us the next several months at minimum, and we're planning on buying and living in a bus for the very reasons that everyone has spent the last two pages telling you about.

I wish you the best of luck however it plays out for you. I'd tell you that I'd love to buy your bus from you, but we wouldn't have the money for about another three months. You may find that owning it in the coming months and years could be a godsend if you can get it paid off or traded for something that needs less maintenance.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2011, 11:08:45 AM »

I think LesBerg needs that Bus for him and his family.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: