Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 06:37:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larry & Penny Thompson Park in Fl - NO BUSES??  (Read 5708 times)
mugsytrpt

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »

Ok.  Here is the story.  I did an earlier post asking about places to stay on my way to the Keys.  Several responded and a few stated how nice Larry & Penny's park is in Miami and stated that would be a good place to stay.  Did any of you stay there in a BUS?  I just called to make a reservation for a week and was told they do not allow bus conversions unless it was done by a professional company.  I told them I had asked about places to stay on a bus forum and theirs was highly recommended.  I asked them when this policy had begun.  They told me that it has always been a policy and they did not allow BUS conversions unless done by a professional company.  SO....My big question is this...Have I bought myself a nice big beautiful bus, got hooked into being a busnut, and got my family somewhat hooked only to find out that many, I have called several over the past year, parks will not allow the best motorhomes to camp in the their spots?  My bus still has all windows, so there is no way to state it was not an OTR bus at one time.

If I seem to be frustrated, it is because I seem to be hitting a brick wall finding places to stay.

Thanks for all responses in advance,
James

1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New Kohler 23.5kw genset April 2013
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »

James...when park owners hear 'Bus'...they are thinking of 'The Partridge Family' bus.
Always say that you have a 'motorhome'.
Others will chime in hear and say basically the same thing I said.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:57:35 PM »

Another bus nut and I took our buses to Larry and Penny Thompson Park in 2009 and again in 2010 with absolutely no question about the nature of our conversions. In fact there was a long term seasonal camper there in a conversion and he said he's been going there for years. Not a clue how this has come about.
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 14 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »

James...when park owners hear 'Bus'...they are thinking of 'The Partridge Family' bus.
Always say that you have a 'motorhome'.
Others will chime in hear and say basically the same thing I said.
Jack

Exactly correct Mr Hart,

I have never been turned away (in any state of conversion) and have always said 40' motorhome.

Plus if there to hoity toity I couldn't drink a beer there either....oooops wrong thread... Grin

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
mugsytrpt

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:19:49 PM »

Thanks for comments.

Jack,

I have no problem doing that, but I do not want to be 8 hours away from home and when they see my bus and say sorry we do not allow those in our park.  I have two girls and my wife with me when I camp.  I would probably not be a very nice BUS person if I got there and they would not allow in with my Bus.  They ask for make and year model when I was making a reservation.  Now they have my make model and address.  Oh well......

Mike,

You posted on my previous post and your comment about L&P was the reason I called them.

Thanks,
James

1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New Kohler 23.5kw genset April 2013
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 04:05:38 PM »

Probably Just a hiredhand thinking hippie open air conversion. with wild cat and hawgs(animal). Year of conversion converted in 2002 by Ga Conversions(example). Never been turned away but have been aware of ten year rules that could be enforced for park owners protection. Most wouldn't know a 80 from a 2000. If it's clean and neat apearing and you don't have 50 kids pushing it in you should be good. Lot's of State parks there  John Penny camp one of our favorites.Don't forget Corp of Engineer facilities. Really don't know if there are any in keys. But those are usually nice and inexpensive.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:43:04 PM »

Amazing! No ones bus looks more like a bus then mine. And yet I have parked in several campgrounds without ever having any problem whatsoever.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »

If they are so busy they can turn folks away then so be it. I guess I wouldn't tell them "bus" in any conversation. I would imagine you have a better rig than some of the s&s rigs that show up all the time. As Bob stated, it's hard to beat anything the Corp of Engineers maintain. Always worth a look see.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Joebus

1978 MCI Mc8

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »

We spent a month in L&P Thompson in 2009. My coach is a 1978 MC8. Never questioned. Staff and Park were excellent

Joe Beleskey ,Stroud Ont. 50 Miles north of Toronto
1977 MC8, 8V71T, Auto
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »

If they are so busy they can turn folks away then so be it. I guess I wouldn't tell them "bus" in any conversation. I would imagine you have a better rig than some of the s&s rigs that show up all the time. As Bob stated, it's hard to beat anything the Corp of Engineers maintain. Always worth a look see.

When asked, we just say, 40' Silver Eagle motorhome, no problems.

BCO

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »

If they let in professionally done, but not self done conversions, but both are called "Bus conversion" , Motor-home or Coach, etc. That my friends is called Discrimination and could be fought in court or bought to the media and they wouldn't want their name on that.

What do we have on this board and others say 3,500 Owners that might want to camp at said place. Maybe they don't relize how many might want to spend their money in their town or campground etc.
Just sayin

Dave

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 05:56:45 PM »

Anybody have their email address?

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:52:26 PM »

Just wait a day and call back. Be sure to say motorhome rather than bus!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 03:17:47 AM »

I have the same problem, keep calling it a bus. But once the passenger seats are gone and you have converted it over it now becomes a motorhome for living in. It not longer transports passengers for a fee. Just keep saying motorhome, motorhome, again and again.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 04:52:59 AM »

When we call to make a reservation for our 73 MCI we say we have a 40' coach.  If they ask for the make and year, we say 2003 (year we finished the conversion) MCI. Never have had a problem so far.
   Only place we have ever been turned down was when we pulled up to O'Lena State Park in FL without a reservation. The person at the check in building, looked at our coach and asked "how long is that?" I told him 40'. He said all the bigger sites were full, only thing he had availasble was tent sites. He did say we were welcome to walk through and see if we could find a site we could fit on. From the tents sites we had seen at other campgrounds, we did not bother walking through to look for one.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: