Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 07:40:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larry & Penny Thompson Park in Fl - NO BUSES??  (Read 5544 times)
LarryN 4106

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 04:39:35 AM »

I agree with White-Eagle....This is my rule. Sorry but there are better places (for us, meaning my wife and I) than someone who has even a molecule of notion to not allow me in. I don't like RV resorts of any kind. Full of snowbirds who seem to claim some sort of ownership when that is not the case...."we have been here since October....(whilst their grandkid takes a pee into the swimming pole next to grandma)...."

I will never beg my way into one of these places if there is a state or federal park nearby. I was, in a past life, a GMC Motorhomer....and they have two national conventions a year. Now, the NEWEST GMC is a 1978, the oldest a 1973. I always laughed MAO at the whore resort parks that wanted those hundreds of coaches for that week, when otherwise their age rules would have prohibited them.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:42:38 AM by LarryN 4106 » Logged
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 05:04:33 AM »

And what about the 'disabled only' and 'mother and child only' parking spaces in supermarket car parks? How are these not clear cases of illegal discrimination on the grounds of disability and sex? I've always assumed that such signs are technically 'advisory' only, and don't hesitate to ignore them if I feel it is reasonable to do so (such as if there's a whole row of such spaces which are unoccupied).
Jeremy

Jeremy,
  Handicap Parking spaces are wider to allow occupant to easily get into a wheelchair when another car is parked next to them. You can and very well may be ticketed for using one of these spaces without a handicap sticker on you vehicle.
   When Paula was in a wheelchair afer breaking her back in an accident, I blocked in 2 cars that were parked in adjoining handicap spaces without stickers , because I needed to get Paula out of our van and into her wheelchair.  After having needed these spaces (no longer need them), I still ghet upset to see people use them that do not need them.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 05:12:30 AM »

Jeremy,
  Handicap Parking spaces are wider to allow occupant to easily get into a wheelchair when another car is parked next to them. You can and very well may be ticketed for using one of these spaces without a handicap sticker on you vehicle.
   When Paula was in a wheelchair afer breaking her back in an accident, I blocked in 2 cars that were parked in adjoining handicap spaces without stickers , because I needed to get Paula out of our van and into her wheelchair.  After having needed these spaces (no longer need them), I still ghet upset to see people use them that do not need them.  Jack

You can't be ticketed on private land I don't think - that was my point about supermarket car parks specifically.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 05:40:08 AM »

Actually, Im not sure on the exact law...... but the stores are required by law to put up the handicapped parking and then police will patrol and ticket and sometimes even tow without a sticker. My mom has a placcard and it was issued by the DMV, it is tied to her driver's license so she can use any car she wants but she has to put up the little sign in the window when we park.  So I think even though the store "owns" the parking lot, the parking spaces with handicap really belong to the state.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:42:10 AM by happycamperbrat » Logged

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 05:40:37 AM »

Jeremy,

You can't be ticketed on private land I don't think - that was my point about supermarket car parks specifically.

Jeremy

In the U.S. most communities have laws restricting handicap spaces to those who have the special license plate or placard that hangs from the mirror (which can only be obtained with a doctor's order).  If the police see a vehicle parked in a handicap space without it, or if the store personnel call to report it, the police will ticket it.  Also in many places there are laws mandating the minimum number of handicap spaces business places have depending on the total count of parking spaces their lot has.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 05:44:21 AM »

Jeremy

There are other hazards to be considered when parking in handicapped spaces over here in the USA. Some of us highly opinionated, unruly, independent minded backwoods type rednecks take offense when people who don't need handicap facilities use them. There was one young man I know who parked in a handicapped spot. When he jumped out and sprinted towards the store, a friend of mine inquired weather or not he was handicapped. He replied he was not & "what the $%^# business was it of his & what the #$% are you going to do about it?" My friend told him he would have to think about it but it was very uncaring to park in a space some person who was indeed handicapped might need.

A few weeks later that young man was the victim of an unfortunate attack that left him permanently wheelchair bound.  The official report says it way a bungled robbery attempt. The young man said he was kidnapped and told he needed to be legal to use the handicapped spots.

I guess there are always risks to about any kind of behavior.

TOM

PS: I was just reminded that the same opinion sometimes extend to poaching other peoples traps, using foul language around ladies, deliberate failure to uphold a verbal contract ratified by a handshake, oystering, fishing, or hunting on others peoples land, and other infractions of what used to be called behaving like a gentleman.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 05:44:59 AM »

In the U.S. most communities have laws restricting handicap spaces to those who have the special license plate or placard that hangs from the mirror (which can only be obtained with a doctor's order).

It's not often I get to clarify you Mike, but here goes:

They have to get the doctor's prescription for a handicap sticker and then take it to the DMV who issues it.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 06:07:38 AM »

It's entirely possible that supermarkets here are 'obliged' to allocated handicapped spaces in exactly the same way, and that in theory the police also have the same powers to administer them. I say 'in theory' because I've never seen or heard of the police here showing any interest in what is parked where in a supermarket car park - however, the point is well made.

And I also take the point about the risk of other people taking it upon themselves to enforce such rules as well. Nothing more dangerous than a self-righteous man.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »

And so it is that another good thread (originally "Larry & Penny Thompson Park in Fl - NO BUSES??") gets hijacked.

Grin Grin Grin

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2011, 06:28:27 AM »

And so it is that another good thread (originally "Larry & Penny Thompson Park in Fl - NO BUSES??") gets hijacked.

Grin Grin Grin

Guilty as charged!

TOM

Delaware

Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »

This is not hijacked --- simply thread DRIFT --- multiple thoughts in a single place

Throw in a little ADD and you can have a party in your brain

HTH

YMMV

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2011, 10:59:06 AM »

I think the thread told it's friends that it was popping down to the campsite shop, but found the shop closed so it drove down to the local supermarket instead. Then it parked in the wrong spot and got reprimanded by some locals, who got even more angry when the thread kept insisting that it was a motorhome, not a bus.

Meanwhile, it's friends had organised a search of the campsite when the thread hadn't returned as expected, and eventually 'phoned the police to report that it had been hijacked. The police didn't respond straight away because they were dealing with a disturbance elsewhere.

Jeremy

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2011, 11:58:48 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Thanks for the laughs!

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 06:26:33 PM »

OK! Since the thread has been declared officially hijacked,.......

Nothing more dangerous than a self-righteous man.
Jeremy

How is a self-righteous man dangerous? And, when you say "nothing is more dangerous", then the most dangerous thing known is a self-righteous man?

I disagree.

TOM

Delaware

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: