Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 08:53:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning  (Read 2785 times)
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »

If you have ever driven or have driven this past winter in states that use sodium chloride you need to immediately wash that corrosive stuff off & possibly disassemble all of your electrical and mechanical stuff and clean it.  I have had my Harley ruined by it & the 3 way valves for my veg system are trashed because of it. It is some nasty stuff. There are many things it has damaged on my bus/bike/trailer
blank

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »

Are you sure you dont mean Calcium Chloride? Its better at melting snow and ice, and much, much better at eating iron. Remember the 35W bridge??
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »

Whatever it is it is some wicked stuff
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »

Well, which did you mean?  Sodium chloride is common table salt.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »

Yes, but dihydrogen monoxide is way, way worse.   Many more people die from it every year than from whatever is put on the roads.   Please read this very informative website about its dangers:  http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Be careful out there.   You've been warned . . .
John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »

Good Lord!  How about Road Salt/Ice Melt/Deicer -- would that satisfy everyone?  

Unnecessary comments in threads are why I never really started posting on the other bus bulletin board.  Instead of thanking Ron for the reminder, he's chided for the wrong chemical formula.  Then we wonder why people stop posting and participating.  Ron, I've been taken to task, as well, for daring to use a common term that most folks would know, rather than the obscure technical one.      

Ron, I will say thanks for the reminder, I still need to find a carwash that has an undercarriage spray for my car.  We had ice in Dallas this year, and I had to go out in it.  Now that the weather has warmed up, it is easy for me to forget.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »

Well, which did you mean?  Sodium chloride is common table salt.

-Sean

I didn't take a sample & I'm not a chemist but whatever they use on the roads instead of salt in some of the states between Colorado & Tennessee. It has cost me a fortune
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 05:35:32 PM »

... he's chided for the wrong chemical formula.  ...

Asking for clarification is hardly "chiding."

-Sean

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
opus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 06:17:18 PM »

Actually, its Magnesium Chloride.  I am just saying that cause I am bored though.  I knew what he meant.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 06:28:51 PM »

In Alaska we use Calcium Chloride mixed with sand. At the city shop I worked at, the stainless steel sanders fell apart in about 6 years. Cars and trucks are a pain to work on, bolts just snap off and exhaust systems are only good for 5 years. All my nice stuff gets parked in the winter.

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
blank

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 06:40:16 PM »

Theyve been experimenting with things like corn up there too, and if what it did to our concrete sidewalk was any example, its some very corrosive stuff. Within minutes of putting it down it started spalling the surface. Calcium Chloride never did anything to it.

Use lots and lots of water to flush it away, clean out all the recesses, make sure all the drain holes are open, and promise never to drive in that crap ever again.

Must be a full moon or something....
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »

Good Lord!  How about Road Salt/Ice Melt/Deicer -- would that satisfy everyone?  

Unnecessary comments in threads are why I never really started posting on the other bus bulletin board.  Instead of thanking Ron for the reminder, he's chided for the wrong chemical formula.  Then we wonder why people stop posting and participating.  Ron, I've been taken to task, as well, for daring to use a common term that most folks would know, rather than the obscure technical one.      

Ron, I will say thanks for the reminder, I still need to find a carwash that has an undercarriage spray for my car.  We had ice in Dallas this year, and I had to go out in it.  Now that the weather has warmed up, it is easy for me to forget.

Arthur

I agree completely. It seems if you dare post around here you had better be perfect right down to your spelling. It's not called chiding either! Some of us are getting a little tired of it and speaking up! I know someone directly that is well versed in electricity that won't post anything because of those that "know it all'!! Thanks for the reminder Ron. I'm lucky the bus sits in a dry spot all winter but I'm sure my other vehicles need some attention.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 06:58:21 PM »

In Alaska we use Calcium Chloride mixed with sand. At the city shop I worked at, the stainless steel sanders fell apart in about 6 years. Cars and trucks are a pain to work on, bolts just snap off and exhaust systems are only good for 5 years. All my nice stuff gets parked in the winter.

Its interesting living in the south after living in Minnesota 50 years. It was the same up there, everything rots pretty fast. I see cars down here I havnt seen on the road in over 30 years. Many still have the original paint, some almost bare metal from decades of sun and rain, but still no rust through. I saw a 69 Camaro recently that looked like that, its the guys "work" car. And theres a guy in town drives a 1972 Charger year round as his everyday beater. But its when you put a wrench to those old bolts that havnt been turned in decades and they break loose easy, thats when ya smile.
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »

I hear ya! Every time I go down south, I drool over all the rust free classics. When my wife and I replace cars with used ones, we go south. We just brought one up from Texas last year. It was 4 years old and looked new under it. I bought a new Chevy Duramax in 2008, installed a SS exhaust and everything under it is rusty including the SS exhaust. I wish they would just spread sand. Heck I think half of the moose that are killed on our roads are licking the salt or whatever it is on the side of the road.

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Tim Strommen
Electronics Geek

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 08:16:34 PM »

...Yes, but dihydrogen monoxide is way, way worse.   Many more people die from it every year than from whatever is put on the roads...

Yeah, you need to balance this is your diet even more carefully than a diabetic needs to control their blood sugar.  Too much and you'll die.  Too little, and you'll die.  This nasty stuff is all over natural waterways, and fish are full of this chemical.  Scientific studies have shown that all clouds in the atmosphere around the globe are all contaminated with this chemical...

Bad stuff.

-T  Cheesy

Fremont, CA
1984 Gillig Phantom 40/102
DD 6V92TA (MUI, 275HP) - Allison HT740
Conversion Progress: 10% (9-years invested, 30 to go Smiley)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 10:57:38 PM »

Yes, but dihydrogen monoxide is way, way worse.   

Man, I'm doomed!

I work around thousands of gallons of this stuff every day!

I'd better make a note of this on my Facebook page to warn my family and non-busnut friends!

Thanks (I think), for the warning!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 03:45:54 AM »

Oh geez, i just drank some last night...why is my screen turning colors? Fire truck pump this stuff too. Uh oh, I hear the black helicopters up there.
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 05:03:45 AM »

Yes, but dihydrogen monoxide is way, way worse.   

Man, I'm doomed!

I work around thousands of gallons of this stuff every day!

I'd better make a note of this on my Facebook page to warn my family and non-busnut friends!

Thanks (I think), for the warning!

You're doomed??

Up here in Canada, I pretty much bathe in the stuff!!
Time to get the will updated.

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
Pete359EX
86 Prevost XL

any excuse to buy new tools

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 05:19:13 AM »

Do you think I could sprinkle this (Road Salt/Ice Melt/Deicer), in my draft beer at the no alcohol rally? LOL!

Boy things have been getting heated around here lately!
Fred

Fred, 1986 Prevost XL, just beginning...Plans for roof raise, slide-outs, extension to 45', and maybe repower to CAT.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 06:10:56 AM »

I don't usually like to drive my bus in the winter because of the salt and other deicing stuff used on the roads.  I was hesitant to drive to Florida this past December because of rust from salt.  When I got to Florida I noticed even the painted bracket for my backup camera that is 10 feet off the ground had rust on it from the salt.

I did have one crimped connection for my side marker lights break due to corrosion from the salt.  I hadn't used a sealed butt connector originally, but I replaced it with a sealed one.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 06:11:54 AM »

Guess my bus will never corrode--I just go to Fred's area in winter heeee heee..   serious In Cheap Indiana they pre treat with Brine solution and Beet Juice.  I think this is doing more damage than the older methods. Seems to be more visible build up if your traveling before the snow or if the snow just turn into rain. everything is coated gray. Yes is bus related and something to protect elect and other exposed surfaces from. Undercoating coming back?   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 06:17:24 AM »

i dont know anything about wiring, but i always use sealed butt connections... and wrap the completed joint with a bit of tape as well... these i dont solder, but i kinda feel all wiring should be soldered to the connector...

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 06:24:04 AM »

Well, for a while I thought I was being picked on because of being a woman on here, but, guess not, at least not entirely, lol. Remember the post I made about the motor/engine that stirred up the debate?  Geez! I sure dont know the technical terms for everything, but, I am honory enough, that I am not going to stop posting because of it. I will stand up to any of ya, lol. Anyhow, back to the original post, thanks for the warning, I am sure many will be reminded, thanks to you! By the way, most on here are stand up people, and a few that I have met in person, the best of the best!

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »

ornery  :  having an irritable disposition, difficult

synonyms:
crotchety, cantankerous

honory:  only ruthi knows for sure     :grin:

The MCI has landed..... We are home.