Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 11:04:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Biodiesel and the DD 8V71  (Read 4253 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 10:23:06 PM »

Thank you Bill Glenn!! Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 10:08:18 AM »

Hey Guys,
  I have been reading up on alternative fuels for my 8V71 and think that the best way for me would be to go with straight WVO and heat it. And also, obviously run a second tank of straight diesel to start/stop with. I can see where in a car or truck that would kind of be a pain in the butt, but with my bus, I think it would be fine.
 My question is: I can get WVO from KFC but should I only use the french fry oil or is it ok to use the chicken frying oil also? I understand you don't want animal fats and I'm sure there is some in the chicken oil just from the chicken.
  One more question: anybody have pix as to how to heat the oil?? Or can you explain how to go about it? My fuel tank is way up front and I was thinking it may be better back by the engine. Any thoughts on that??
  Thanx a bunch!
     Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 02:18:40 PM »

Hey Chaz

Glad to hear about your first run.  Smiley
Animal fat runs good to, just have to keep it warmer. No problem with KFC oil not enough to worry about.

Leave the diesel tank up front, locate another one close to the back for alt fuel.

I like the fuel line in the insulated heater hose, and heated filter method best. In really cold climates an added flat plate heat exchanger just before the fuel pump boosts the temp great.

There is some good links to pictures some posts back, google WVO and you will get alot more.

Pickup truck motorized 6 way fuel selector valve from JC Whitney will help your switchover. Mount it in an insulated box with the flat plate HE to work in really cold weather.

Bill

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 03:35:23 PM »

I welded in a bung on my WVO tank and used a screw in type block heater. I run that off of an inverter with a flip switch on the dash. KFC oil will work just fine.

Dale
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 03:52:17 PM »

Thanx guys. I will use both of your suggestions. What is and where could I get a fuel filter heater? And "flat plate HE"?  I was thinking about that heat tape you use on water pipes to keep them from freezing or to thaw them. But they are 110.

What about when you are driving, do you need to heat the WVO? I was thinking about a copper coil in the WVO tank and running the anti-freeze thu it. Realistic??

thanx again!!
  Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 07:27:43 PM »

I have to comment on the idea of reducing our dependancy on over seas oil.  My son is back from Iraq where he served in the USMC.  He told of several stories.  The cost of oil "over there" is getting too expensive for my blood.  The more we can promote homegrown the better!

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 09:23:27 PM »

Chaz,
Ebay for the flat plate heat exchanger (HE) $100-120.00.

heat tape wont do, Need alot more heat.

coolant loop in tank works to keep it fluid. but need more heat on lines.

Danny,

Glad to hear your son made it back, we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

Bill

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 06:29:42 AM »

Bill, or whom ever,
  Thanx for the info on the flat plate heat exchanger!!!!!! I looked on e-bay but am unsure what I am looking for. This is what I THINK I am looking for, but I'm not sure: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brazed-40-Plate-Outdoor-Wood-Furnace-Heat-Exchanger_W0QQitemZ200038359038QQihZ010QQcategoryZ20598QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Is that correct? I am assuming I need to plumb it in the coolant line as well as the WVO line. Is there anyplace I can reseach how to do this? Or do any of you have any tips or tricks? I am new at this, and just don't want to reinvent the mouse trap.  Wink
  Thanx for all your help!
     Chaz

Dale MC8

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 08:52:34 AM »

IMHO, wrapping a coolant line AROUND the WVO tank may be easier, work just as well and avoid any chance of a leak of coolant into your fuel. And put shut-off valves on this line in case you have to pull the tank for some reason.
My 2 cents. Dale MC8

Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 10:10:48 AM »

Good thought Dale. But I think I may make a copper coil- 1 piece - and put it in the tank. I think I would be pretty safe with that if there are no connections in the tank. (?)

I'd still like to know a little more about what others have done and what does and doesn't work. 

I looked up Webasto and I think it looks pretty cool, but it never really gave me much info. How it works, what it does and can do....... Like can I run radient hydronic heat in the floor with it? And will it warm my engine? And can it be plumbed so It will run hot water thru the WVO tank and the engine and floor all at the same time?
I imagine it will take some creative plumbing to do it, IF it CAN do it.
  Any suggestions??
   Chaz

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: