Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 06:58:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep your fingers crossed  (Read 4553 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »

Best of luck! You are taking off in a beautiful bus and going to have the time of your life, and get by very cheaply too! I want a FULL report of your trip too! My bus is down right now and part of the reason is because Im setting it up to run wvo too. I run bio in it now but I want to have the option of running svo as well.

I just filled up my little cobalt chevy and it was almost $60.00 for about 12 gallons  Shocked But in that little car, it will take me about 400 miles.

As for the electronic engines..... sigh, I have read that the vo messes with the fuel sensors. I would be real careful (or real desparate) before trying this in that kind of engine.....
Well thank you HCB!  She looks good but If I would have waited I might have been able to purchase Luvrbus' beauty.  The wow factor kind of got me when I bought it.  The price was OK but If I had waited I could have gotten a whole lot better deal.  The PO was also a liar.  I have discovered all the reasons he was getting rid of it and failed to tell me.  Notice the air scoop on the rear bay door.  He told me he put it on to just get air into the bay.  He did that because the genset is in there wrong and on really hot days it will heat it up and shut off.  That is my next project.  The other was he flat told me that he, his wife and 3 kids could travel in it for a week before dumping the 1 tank black and gray.  LIAR.  WE could barely get 24 hours and that was with as soon as the hot water came out of the shower, get wet and turn it off, soap up and rinse off.  I put in a gray tank and things are right now.  We can go 5 days without dumping the black tank and never have to dump the gray as it just goes to water the nearest tree.  Yep I said it!!  Another thing was the middle air unit.  He said it worked fine but leaked once.  ONCE!!!! Liar.  I have had it at PP and L twice and they still have yet to fix it right.
And finally he said he never ever ever put Delo 400 in the oil pan.  I was digging through some service records he gave me after I bought it and found every oil change was Delo 400 not 100.  I changed it immediately and miraculously it stopped smoking out the tailpipe and I barely burn any oil at all now.  This is why in the other thread I told you that you have a clean slate to do whatever you want to do.  That baby is your baby.  Have fun with it.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
blank

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 04:42:04 AM »

Brother in law promising to have it done next week, 14 months ago is the problem.   So I take it to a local welder 9 days ago.  It still isn't done!!!!!!  They said they found a pin hole, translates into they blew a hole in it.  That tank is cursed. 

You run into stuff like that too?
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 05:13:56 AM »

Brother in law promising to have it done next week, 14 months ago is the problem.   So I take it to a local welder 9 days ago.  It still isn't done!!!!!!  They said they found a pin hole, translates into they blew a hole in it.  That tank is cursed. 

You run into stuff like that too?
Oh yeah!!I can't call him and chomp on his butt because of my sister.  I have to keep the peace and in the end it bit me.  Next time I will know.

www.snakebreaker.com
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 05:42:37 AM »

Are you still needing a shop to fix your tank right or start over? There is a shop by Hobby airport called Fabco that we used to make our aluminum coupling guards. They can build anything with aluminum.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 05:44:42 AM »

A little tid bit for those interested in WVO.  Yesterday was the first day I have seen the oil in my WVO tank.  It has been settling for a while.  I can tell you the oil that went in there was nothing short of freaky nasty.  What came out the pipe and into the bus was pure gold.  IT has only been run through 1 ten inch filter prior to bus entry.  I tested for water and nada zip zero water.  The point here is if anyone is about to venture off into the WVO world take this advice.  You can buy an expensive centrifuge, you can work your butt off trying to dewater, you can do whatever, but earth's gravitational forces will do most of it if you let her.

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 05:46:53 AM »

Are you still needing a shop to fix your tank right or start over? There is a shop by Hobby airport called Fabco that we used to make our aluminum coupling guards. They can build anything with aluminum.
I appreciate it!!  The shop I am using should be done Monday.  We are a catholic community and they are the hub of it.  They were fish frying and ect ect all week last week.  He knew I was ticked because I told him, after all he aint married to my sister Grin

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 05:47:54 AM »

A little tid bit for those interested in WVO.  Yesterday was the first day I have seen the oil in my WVO processing tank.  It has been settling for a while.  I can tell you the oil that went in there was nothing short of freaky nasty.  What came out the pipe and into the bus was pure gold.  IT has only been run through 1 ten inch filter prior to bus entry.  I tested for water and nada zip zero water.  The point here is if anyone is about to venture off into the WVO world take this advice.  You can buy an expensive centrifuge, you can work your butt off trying to dewater, you can do whatever, but earth's gravitational forces will do most of it if you let her.

www.snakebreaker.com
blank

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 05:53:09 AM »

So what your saying is you pick up the oil from the Pakistani Restaurant, park it in back of your shed to let it settle, then run it? How long??

You not going to let that fish fry oil get away, are you? Fish oil outta smell funky.  

Curious, are you running oil, or grease? I mean, does it solidify like lard or crisco, or is it liquid at room temperature?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:55:49 AM by artvonne » Logged
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 05:59:27 AM »

If you do get it from a Pakistani restaurant check your roof before you leave. You will probably have 12 workers on top of your bus hitching a ride home. Grin
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »

So what your saying is you pick up the oil from the Pakistani Restaurant, park it in back of your shed to let it settle, then run it? How long??

You not going to let that fish fry oil get away, are you? Fish oil outta smell funky.  

Curious, are you running oil, or grease? I mean, does it solidify like lard or crisco, or is it liquid at room temperature?

I am running vegetable oil.  Cooking oil with fish is awesome.  Very little free fatty acids.  You want it liquid at room or barn temp.  The oil I used today has been settling for 6 months because I never dreamed it would take this long to get it all done.  I have 1500 gallons so the oil I am getting now will probably sit for 6 months.  Tomorrow I will draw a sample of the oil in a glass jar, photograph it and post it.

Here you go with a pic of the golden juice.  It looks nothing near like it did behind the restaurant.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:04:10 AM by wal1809 » Logged

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »

Well here is the official report.  100 miles round trip and not a hitch.  I ran her up to 75 and she had a lot of peddle left in her.  No need to roll that fast so I backed her down to 60 and just cruised.  I couldn't tell any difference in the two fuels.  Here we are somewhere west of Sealy, Texas on I-10.

www.snakebreaker.com
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »

hmmm, Im kinda rethinking my "plan". You saw the room I have under my bus in the other thread... I wonder what would happen if I used ALL that space underneath for fuel tanks and put my water and gray and black all inside. I know I obviously would lose a lot of potential storage space, but.....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »

I intend in the future to install a 7 foot long/2 foot wide and 3 feet tall fuel tank.  That will carry 200 gallons multiplied by 7 mpg is 1400 miles.  Any further than that I will haul a trailer with a 300 gallon poly tank I picked up yesterday for FREE! With those 2 I can go 3500 miles.

So on you bus you could dedicate 1/2 of on bay to oil and the other half to gray tank.  You still have the rest of your bays open for storage.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:25:55 AM by wal1809 » Logged

www.snakebreaker.com
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 09:19:47 PM »

what about the weight though? what is the weight difference of vo compared to water or diesel?

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 03:24:13 AM »

what about the weight though? what is the weight difference of vo compared to water or diesel?

WVO is about 9 pounds per gallon.  200 gallons would be 1800 pounds.  I am not sure what the rating is on your bays but the Eagle is I believe 1600 pounds per bay, and the old heads say they will carry a whole lot more than that.  I am sure we could do 3 tanks or 1 in each bay that is 7' long  3' tall and 1' wide.  That would be 100 gallons each and spread over the length of the coach.  That still gives you around 2000 miles.

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: