Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 03:01:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replace passenger compartment of school bus with 20' shipping container?  (Read 9008 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 10:09:45 PM »

I am wondering if the shipping container is really appropriate for what you want.  From my limited experience with them, I have found them to be extremely rigid.  Vehicle bodies as on trucks and buses flex.  You can jack up one corner, and the other three stay on the ground.  If you jack up one corner of the shipping container, one of the two adjacent corners also lifts so in essence you lift one entire side.  Is it really a good idea to permanently attach a structure with such rigidity to a vehicle frame that can torque and flex?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 10:32:28 PM »

That's an interesting point about flexing.

I am now looking over the various 'truck nut' sites.

Looks like the $3,300 insurance quote I got for a Class 8 truck plus a container chassis might have been far higher than it needed to be.

I think what I might need to do is register a Class 8 truck as a motorhome, which is not what I explained I would be doing to Progressive today. Then, with Class 8 truck motorhome, I think I could tow a shipping container on a chassis as a 5th wheel. Maybe all I need to do is spot weld the container to the chassis so it's really a true 5th wheel travel trailer.

What do you think?

I think a container on a container chassis might still flex, but I doubt it will be an issue at all, since the container will be so light compared to what a true container chassis can handle.

Kevin Warnock
http://KevinWarnock.com - my blog
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 01:40:55 AM »

Kevin, Im in awe of the way your mind works! You are always coming up with neat ideas! Keep us updated on the insurance deal and this idea for another project.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 05:53:39 AM »

[quote  Maybe all I need to do is spot weld the container to the chassis so it's really a true 5th wheel travel trailer.

[/quote]

How many 5th wheel bodies are welded to their chassis? I would hazard a guess at zero. The standard 4 corner latches should be sufficient.

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 07:04:58 AM »

Anyone have any idea how much a truck conversion costs to insure?

Kevin, My be Tom C, will have that answer, I believe he is doing a truck conversion. If that's not correct

I apologize.

Steve 5B.....
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »

... (Have you ever seen pictures of containers that have fallen off ships in bad weather?   The darn things float for so long that they are considered a shipping hazard, and have to be dealt with by salvage companies or the coastguard!   When I worked on a gas platform in the North Sea we had a 20' container slide off the back of our supply boat as it was being offloaded, and it bobbed about in the sea for an hour or two until our standby boat could put a line on it and tow it back to the platform.   When we eventually opened its doors there was hardly any water in it!)

Shipping containers and sleeping whales are the biggest hazzards in ocean yacht racing, and have been responsible for more sinkings and deaths than you can imagine. Both are invisible to radar and very difficult to spot by the naked eye, especially when a racing yacht is travelling at 25knots at night and on autopilot. If the yacht isn't holed, it loses it's keel and capsizes, usually 1000 miles from land. Then it floats about long enough for someone to find it and take photo.

Jeremy

(Sorry - completely bus-less post)

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »

Kevin, I know you made it quite clear to AAA what you were thinking of buying. However, the person that you were speaking to might not have fully grasped it. I live in Antioch, and have AAA. I have 3 cars, a work truck, and homeowners with AAA. I have every discount imaginable and they would not insure my bus. I have had auto insurance with them since 1976 without an accident, and homeowners since 1990 with no claims. I tried everything I could and was told they do not insure conversions of any kind. I have Progressive and am very happy. I hope it works out for you. Just make sure they will write a policy before you make a decision based on them.

Good Luck,
Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »

Yes, I was shocked that AAA was so eager to cover a school bus conversion.

Progressive won't cover school bus conversions, to my knowledge. Progressive insures my RTS conversion.

I have pretty much decided against cutting up a school bus, since I discovered since my original post that I can get a Class 7 or Class 8 truck titled as a motorhome and will then pay reasonable insurance rates, not the $3,300 type rates.

What I need help with now is how do I get a container chassis plus attached container to be considered a 5th wheel 'travel trailer' that's insurable at motorhome rates.

On the Heavy Duty Truck to motorhome board, some advise that to title a Class 7 or Class 8 truck as a motorhome it's advisable to remove the air lines to the trailer. It's also apparently advisable to remove the commercial 5th wheel hitch and replace it with one for consumer sticks and staples 5th wheel travel trailers. However, I need those air lines and the commercial hitch, since the container chassis will require them. I also want an air ride chassis so I can install a campground leveling system that uses the air bags, just like my RTS conversion. My sense is there must be a way to still get what I propose titled correctly for low insurance rates. Any ideas?

Thank you for all the great advice.

Kevin Warnock
http://KevinWarnock.com - my blog
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »

Kevin we have a toter home. Freightlinner chassi with a 12ft living quarters fully self contained  Titled as a RV. Then 5th wheel to pull our steam engines with. cost us 750 a year.  Bob
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:27:39 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »

Will the city allow you to keep what essentially is a commercial vehicle at your home?  I know around where I live some cities require commercial vehicles to be kept inside if you park at home.  Yours may be titled as a motorhome, but I doubt that will stop the city from seeing it as a commercial vehicle.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 06:31:06 PM »

Anyone have any idea how much a truck conversion costs to insure?

Our truck conversion: $724.00 per year with Progressive.

http://www.ustruckin.blogspot.com/

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 06:36:24 PM »

Gary ,our's was a full size semi with one axle dropped & frame stretch and a custom box built in Elkhart with a 5th wheel to pull steam engine. It is $750 a year at Allstate $500 deductible with towing & uninsured motorist etc.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
blank

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 09:02:05 PM »

I guess im confused. Why buy a school Bus and tear the body off to install a container to convert into liveable space, when you could just as easily convert the Bus itself. You would save yourself a mountain of work, a mountain of money, have much more room, and would be parkable as is and be a bonified Bus Conversion. Old School buses are cheap, you could buy several for the cost of one container.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »

Art, it was my understanding that mainly he wanted the container to be movable from location to location and taken off the truck to sit on the ground. The reason he was looking at making a school bus into a motorhome is because of insurance costs opposed to getting a freightliner....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 09:32:07 PM »

Once you park the the trailer, where do you park the truck?

They make these nice movable prefabs, about two-thirds the length of a single wide. Check 'em out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: