Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 09:05:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: main center roof rail mci  (Read 848 times)
4shore

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »

Hey guys some good friends of mine purchased a 1991 MCI c3, they put 3 roof airs on roof cutting the main rail.  I said holes needed to be reinforced with steel connecting all sides together, well they chose not to any opinions on this. thanks
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:25:41 PM »

This is and excellent experiment into the theory of roof hole reinforcement requirements!!

We will soon know how well MCI structures are designed to hold up in case of major damage!

Please keep us posted as the experiment progresses.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:47:26 PM »

My guess is that in typical motor home service, it will be a long time before any problems show up.  Then they will be able to say "see "I told you, no problem".  They will probably run it 5-6ooo miles a year, over smooth highways, and the stresses will be minimal. We all know better.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Rick 74 MC-8

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »

Not sure if its rite or not. But my 74 mc-8 had two 14" vents installed when (professionally)  converted in 1975.  The center beam was cut and no reinforcement. The only problem I have seen is the roof skin flexing when trying to seal. I have since made an aluminum frame to stop this when I installed roof warts. On the MC-8s the roof is rounded all the way side to side It now has approx 350,000 miles on it. ymmv

Rick 74 MC-8

About 20 Miles West Of Chicago
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 06:55:42 PM »

Previous owner installed the roof AC on the centre line and cut the centre rib.

It was cut in 1986, after being a seated coach for 11 years and having a good shunt to the front end.

No effects seen yet, but I watch for it.

I'd personally off set them if it was me with the sawzall.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: