Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 10:56:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twin to my Shorty Prevost on E-bay  (Read 2075 times)
chuckd

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2011, 01:42:38 PM »

Well not exactly a twin, same shell and paint job, different converter.

Chuck http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item=300551006281&viewitem=&category=50056
blank

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »

Thats a sharp looking Bus.
mikewarmblood

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »

Beautiful bus!!! but the seller forgot that diesel is 4.13 a GALLON!!! I think folks need to hold onto their buses for the next few years till the prices plummet which I hope they do. Then buses will go for what they are worth.  I didn't know however there was such a thing as a 35 Prevost. that is a new one for me.  Nice. 
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »

Beautiful bus!!! but the seller forgot that diesel is 4.13 a GALLON!!! I think folks need to hold onto their buses for the next few years till the prices plummet which I hope they do. Then buses will go for what they are worth.  I didn't know however there was such a thing as a 35 Prevost. that is a new one for me.  Nice. 

Now that is interesting?  "I think folks need to hold onto their buses for the next few years till the prices plummet which I hope they do."    What makes you think that prices on this commodity are going to plummet?  If anything, it is going to get even higher, that would be the smart bet.  I understand it is approaching $4.25 in Montana and is already past that in San Diego ... It is not going down, to the levels it used to be, that is a pipe dream.

BCO

blank

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 07:05:31 PM »

What makes you think that prices on this commodity are going to plummet? 
BCO

I think hes refering to Buses, how people are losing jobs and homes and so will give them away out of desperation, and he can get a deal? Sad that there are possibly a few here close to that predicament.

I think it could stabilise, or they could even appreciate. As more people lose jobs and homes and turn to different living alternatives they may move into RV's. And its not like 30 years ago when nobody knew anything, I think many today understand a coach is the Mercedes/RollsRoyce of mobile living.
mikewarmblood

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »

I am referring to the price of fuel. I hope to Christ that the  fuel prices crash
,  Buses are hard to sell except for the few on here.  I can get a 2001 Van Hool for 89,000. much lower than you would think a motorcoach of that caliber would go much more.    if fuel goes back where it belongs 1.20 a gallon, buses will be easier to sell my opinion
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »

If anybody thinks diesel will ever be $1.20 a gallon again I think they are dreaming.  Even in 2008 prices didn't get much below $2 when prices crashed. 

I can still afford to fill the bus tank at $5 a gallon based my usage.  Every mode of transportation costs more as fuel prices go up.  If we took 3 vehicles to haul the same 9 people as my bus each vehicle would have to average 23 MPG.  One of the vehicles would have to be a van, pickup, or large SUV to haul all of our equipment.  The large vehicle would drive down MPG.  This doesn't include at least one night in a hotel each way for everyone.  Hotel rooms are at least $400 additional.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »

diesel is only about 10 cents a gallon if you have a dime made before 1964

so I guess that really is cheap enough

it's not that diesel is expensive --- it's that your money isn't worth anything

is this thread drift???

I also thought that was a little pricey for a 35 foot bus in todays market

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
mikewarmblood

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »

is this thread drift???
I am not sure.  But I think that anything on Ebay is pricey. The topic is that it is a bus like the original poster's bus  I guess I made the comment about the cost of buses. And that I feel that for these fuel prices,that bus will sit a lot longer than it should.  I think trying to sell a bus for what one thinks it's worth is not a good time roght now .   
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »

To answer one of the points brought up earlier.  Prevost made 30 + or - 35 footers, in about the 79 and 80 time frame.  Two were up on e-bay a year or so ago.  I bought mine from the Bluebird board.  I paid less than his minimum, so I think it is over priced, but bless him if he can get it.  I am wondering if the other 35 footers had the same paint scheme?

chuckd
mikewarmblood

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »

Is yours 96 inches wide or 102??  I know Prevost makes 45 footers.  I know a lot of folks like the 35 footers for easier driving.  I love the looks of the bus.  What engine does yours have?? 
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 08:22:14 PM »

I think the biggest advantage of a 35 footer is getting camping spots especially in government owned parks.  Unless you drive in the city a lot I don't think a 35 footer has much advantage when on the road.  I have a 43 footer and I don't think driving it is a problem anywhere I have been.  If anything, height is a bigger problem than length.  Some campgrounds don't see 12'9" tall vehicles often so the branches are too low.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
mikewarmblood

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »

If anybody thinks diesel will ever be $1.20 a gallon again I think they are dreaming.  Even in 2008 prices didn't get much below $2 when prices crashed. 

I can still afford to fill the bus tank at $5 a gallon based my usage.  Every mode of transportation costs more as fuel prices go up.  If we took 3 vehicles to haul the same 9 people as my bus each vehicle would have to average 23 MPG.  One of the vehicles would have to be a van, pickup, or large SUV to haul all of our equipment.  The large vehicle would drive down MPG.  This doesn't include at least one night in a hotel each way for everyone.  Hotel rooms are at least $400 additional.

Maybe you can and that is great. I have a bus in South Dakota and it will take maybe a tank and a half not sure.to move to Mo But I can't afford to fill up my F250 and that is 25 gallons. I mean I can afford it but I drive my Prius and it takes 8 gallons to fill it.  My buses I don't drive them much just fire them up take them for a drive enough to heat everything up then they sit just can't afford to go across the country.  I don't feel it is responsible use of my little income.  Yes you are right my bus gets around 8 a gallon. If I drove 40 people to Springfield and back or to St Louis and back it would be much much cheaper than having 40 people in their own cars.  But for me to joyride in my bus which is fun  is just to damn exspensive right now.  America isn't mad enough the truckers aren't mad enough to do anything about the cost of fuel. and our economy will suffer for it inspite of what the news says ,, recovery my backside ain't seeing it in SW Missouri I tell ya.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:17:02 AM »

What makes you think that prices on this commodity are going to plummet? 
BCO

I think hes refering to Buses, how people are losing jobs and homes and so will give them away out of desperation, and he can get a deal? Sad that there are possibly a few here close to that predicament.

I think it could stabilise, or they could even appreciate. As more people lose jobs and homes and turn to different living alternatives they may move into RV's. And its not like 30 years ago when nobody knew anything, I think many today understand a coach is the Mercedes/RollsRoyce of mobile living.

I beg to differ, the way I read it, he is talking motor fuel issues.

BCO

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 02:32:41 AM »

Given that oil supply hasn't significantly changed recently (Ok, Libya etc has had some effect), and that worldwide demand for oil is currently at a comparatively low level, the current 'high' price of diesel and petrol in the US is presumably not an increase in the cost of the commodity at all, but a drop in the buying power of the currency that is purchasing it. And is the Government perhaps raising fuel duties and taxes as well, as part of a plan to modernise the economy generally?

Either way, the point is that on previous occasions the cost of fuel went up, and then came down again, because of short-term fluctuations in demand or supply. This time it's going up for more fundamental economic reasons, and isn't likely to come down again - at least, not until the value of the dollar is restored, which won't happen until America's economic debt and trade deficit is dealt with. Which (at the risk of straying further off topic) has become such a structural issue that the only way of reducing it is by a fundamental reform of the economy (ie. much higher taxes & more competitive businesses exporting more American-made products to the rest of the world. Reflecting the fact that America is now just one big, strong economy among many big, strong economies, and no longer the biggest and strongest economy of all, largely unaffected by what happened in the rest of the world).

And yes, it's true that the deficit isn't a new problem, but it's become such a threat that the US dollar is no longer regarded as safe enough to be used as the world's 'reserve currency', which has propped-up the dollar's value for decades. Much of the money which used to be held in dollars is now being switched to commodities such as gold and silver, the values of which are currently at extreme record-highs.

So, regarding the price of diesel - yes, I'm afraid you're screwed for the foreseeable future. But - as they always do - the current 'crisis' will pass, and although the cost of diesel won't fall, everything else will quite quickly re-balance itself and a new status-quo will be established that still allows normal people to drive ridiculous vehicles. Except that those vehicles will eventually become slightly less ridiculous, as the higher fuel prices (and environmental legislation etc) motivate the manufacturers to produce better products.

And if you still think $4 a gallon is expensive, try to remind yourself that most of the developed world already pays double that.

Jeremy

Edit: By the way, that shorty Prevost is very similar in style to my own bus, except mine is even shorter. Coaches are generally available in lengths from 8m to 13m here, although it's still quite unusual to see the shortest versions - presumably because the cost savings are minimal, while the income-earning ability is much lower.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:17:22 AM by Jeremy » Logged

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: