Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 08:12:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twin to my Shorty Prevost on E-bay  (Read 2116 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »

Jeremy,

I'm sure some of the problem is due to the weaker dollar, but probably more is due to the system of manipulation and speculation that really sets the price here.

Anyway, it's good to see that you have time for the bus stuff in spite of your son Willie's upcoming wedding.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »

Anyway, it's good to see that you have time for the bus stuff in spite of your son Willie's upcoming wedding.

That would make me Prince Charles? Wow, I've been insulted before, but that's just going too far...

Jeremy

PS. I happened to see some wedding-preparation coverage on TV earlier (I wasn't watching it I swear, the TV just happened to be on in the background). Anyway, the coverage was from outside Westminster Abbey, and it was practically a bus show. Behind the people being interviewed for the camera was a continuous stream of fancy buses going past, with every type of luxury touring coach you can think of, plus dozens of red double-deckers, all of which looked to be from different manufactuers and none more than 2 or 3 years old. I actually remarked to myself how the buses looked more modern and high-tech than any of the cars.

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »

Humble apologies!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 04:39:14 PM »

Jeremy,

I'm sure some of the problem is due to the weaker dollar, but probably more is due to the system of manipulation and speculation that really sets the price here.

Nobody really manipulates the price of oil.  It is bought at auction much like this shorty bus.  The seller believes he can get more.  He might get more or he might have to keep it.  If a person feels they can buy it at auction and sell it for more at a later date, more power to them.

I believe our problem now, is that during the last run up, fuel prices never reached the point we collectively said too much.  Bush released some of the government's stockpile to bring prices down before we decided to change our ways. 

In February of this year, Detroit had a great sales month.  Most of the vehicles sold were SUVs and full size pickups rather than the hybrids the government keeps hyping.

Lately, I've been reading that China and India's oil usage will have more to do with the price of diesel than our usage.  We use far more per person but those countries have far more people. 

Recently, India has been raising the price they will pay per barrel while China has been buying into supply with strategic partnerships around the world.

At this juncture we're lucky the dollar is still the currency of oil.  It lowers the cost of our oil purchases.  That only happened because of Pres. Obama's quick action.  The Euro was briefly looked at as the currency of choice with the latest idea is a basket of currencies.  This too helps us as there will be a lot of hemming an hawing over the basket's makeup.

For me personally, I bought my bus with a $7.00 per gallon target.  I've had even more fun and saved more than I expected.  I can't say I've saved actual dollars but that points more to items wearing out than the price of fuel.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: