Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 07:38:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C.B. Radios  (Read 4317 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »

I can hear all the BS I need with a walkie talkie type CB why do all the plumbing for dash unit lol

A good radio with a good antenna could pull in signals 20 or more miles out, base stations possibly out to 50 miles or more in good conditions. Even in rugged hill country you could get out a few miles with a good radio, where a walkie talkie may only work 1/4 to 1/2 mile, and sometimes less.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »

Quote from: luvrbus
I can hear all the BS I need with a walkie talkie type CB why do all the plumbing for dash unit lol

Quote from: artvonne
  A good radio with a good antenna could pull in signals 20 or more miles out, base stations possibly out to 50 miles or more in good conditions. Even in rugged hill country you could get out a few miles with a good radio, where a walkie talkie may only work 1/4 to 1/2 mile, and sometimes less.

I think Clifford's point is that if it ain't within that short of distance, it ain't none of his concern to talk or listen to or about it!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 03:10:16 AM »

We used to carry ours (radio's) in a briefcase, with a 500 watt Palomar right next to it, the antenna was welded to a pair of vice-grips which we clamped to the top of the mirror post on the pass. side on an old Fruitliner or KW and run 3500 miles and never missed a lick.

BCO

I dont know where length of coax came in either, I think once an antenna is SWR'ed to a particular radio, coax length wouldnt have much effect unless it was significant, but I dont know. I know we hooked up more than a few without checking anything and dont recall blowing up any radios, but I did check SWR whenever I had a "good" radio, I think it helps to have it matched if nothing else. One thing I remember, is a good antenna will always make a bad radio look good, and a good radio isnt any better than a bad radio if you have a bad antenna. Once again, get the tallest antennas you can live with, and put them up as high as your comfortable with. Most OTR trucks have them up where they just clear freeway overpasses. But they also have them up front, and with that long trailer most of their radio power is behind them. On a Bus, if they were mounted in back and set to clear 11-12 feet, or at least as tall as your AC's, you should be good.

We are running a short antenna in our coach, just barely above the AC's as you point out, it is a magnetic jobbie, if the need arises, it can be laid down if we have to do it.  It is also hooked up to a 500 watt Palomar which on a good day, gives it a range of about 35-37 miles, which is okay in my book.

Remember the good old days, KKV-5865.

BCO

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 05:02:51 AM »

As antenna go obviously the higher the better. Just like the truck I put it at the drivers window and 1 inch higher than the next highest point on the vehicle. That way when approaching a close low clearance you can use that stick as a height gauge to verify if you should procede under or not.

IMO duel antennas look cool and sometimes preform slightly better but very slightly and are a royal PITA.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:09:55 AM by Joe Camper » Logged

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2011, 07:14:07 AM »

IMO duel antennas look cool and sometimes preform slightly better but very slightly and are a royal PITA.

The little short ones look cool, I agree, but I have never had any degree of success with them.  I tried them a couple of times and they are like you say ..... not worth the aggravation.

BCO

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: