Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 09:23:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I met another Nut today, looking for any advice  (Read 5191 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 11:12:06 PM »

If you want to get home keep it simple....bypass all circuitry, run a couple of extension cords from the cockpit to the engine bay and control the starter/shut down etc.......don't trust the dash gage unless you have cross checked it....the wiring can aget old and complicated on buses....the engine is simple and does noy need much to control it....sound slike bad grounds etc...Keep It Simple. 
BTW all you need is a sick relay to give you a big amp draw in  the eng on position.

Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 07:41:45 AM »

We are Alaskan's, Kristin and Ron and our "new" bus is a 1962 GM 4106 conversion,

Kristin and Ron:

Welcome to this great list! There are a ton of very helpfull people on this list.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Once you get the bugs worked out, things will be very good for you.

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 08:34:29 AM »

Teresa,

I used  to live in SD and spent as much as 7 weeks, total and ten trips, in Mammoth Lakes, Ca. skiing.  US395.  I was always doing 130 when I passed China Lake....well once, anyway...but most often 90 MPH.  I left Bishop at midnight one trip and I was in Pea Soup Anderson's and bellied up to the bar at 0015.  The best I could do was 100 up Bishop's Grade in my Datsun Z car.  Talk about memories?  I have slowed down a might as I was in my prime back then at 40 something.

I expect to drive Wendy down 395 next fall as her final voyage.  I hope to stop by your "Ranch" and recharge for a couple days before heading south.  How far are you from "Dirty Socks"?  That is one place I never saw and wanted to. The Mammoth Hot Springs off of 395 is a little known treat that I hope is still accessible.  I know you are a far piece from Mammoth.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 08:42:07 AM »

Ron,

The BB has a listing of Knutz that will help.  Good place to start when you need a tool or an extra hand.  I am located in Eugene, Orygun on I5.  I'll do what I can for you from Salem south to Roseburg.  Eugene is in the middle of that run.

You NEED to get the schematics and manuals for the engine/trans.  learn how to post pics...even from a cell phone.

DO YOU HAVE ROADSIDE/TOWING ASSIST INSURANCE?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »

Teresa,

I used  to live in SD and spent as much as 7 weeks, total and ten trips, in Mammoth Lakes, Ca. skiing.  US395.  I was always doing 130 when I passed China Lake....well once, anyway...but most often 90 MPH.  I left Bishop at midnight one trip and I was in Pea Soup Anderson's and bellied up to the bar at 0015.  The best I could do was 100 up Bishop's Grade in my Datsun Z car.  Talk about memories?  I have slowed down a might as I was in my prime back then at 40 something.

I expect to drive Wendy down 395 next fall as her final voyage.  I hope to stop by your "Ranch" and recharge for a couple days before heading south.  How far are you from "Dirty Socks"?  That is one place I never saw and wanted to. The Mammoth Hot Springs off of 395 is a little known treat that I hope is still accessible.  I know you are a far piece from Mammoth.

John

John you are welcome anytime, in fact if I hear of you wizzin by without stopping I will feel slighted  Wink Yes, lol, 395 is one of those highways where "I just cant drive 55" There is little traffic on it and it is a looooooonnnnggg desolate strip of nothingness but straight hwy...... all too easy to go 100+

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
MDV Maria V

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2011, 12:15:27 PM »

Ron,

The BB has a listing of Knutz that will help.  Good place to start when you need a tool or an extra hand.  I am located in Eugene, Orygun on I5.  I'll do what I can for you from Salem south to Roseburg.  Eugene is in the middle of that run.

You NEED to get the schematics and manuals for the engine/trans.  learn how to post pics...even from a cell phone.

DO YOU HAVE ROADSIDE/TOWING ASSIST INSURANCE?
\

YES, DAUGHTER IN EUGENE SO HAD PLANNED TO GO THROUGH, THANKS MUCH!  WE WILL BE POSTING ON OUR THREAD TO TAKE THE HEAT OFF TERESA'S AND KEEP THINGS ARCHIVABLE...!
John
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »

Kristin and Ron

I presume you are going up the I-5 through Seattle and Vancouver Canada.
I live just outside Vancouver (just a mile or so off the highway) and also have a 4106 -and a manual/schematic and a "big" yard (10 acres) .If you need a place to overnite you are welcome here.

Regards

Fred PD4160
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2011, 09:19:44 PM »

Fred, I told them about your kind offer and they may take you up on that.

The problem is now, for the most part, taken care of! What happened was that the new starter had a stripped screw in it that wasnt allowing good contact. This was causing the hammering sound.

The batteries are now charging, reverse works, lights work, etc. The chassis system seems to do fine now. They are heading out tomorrow. They are still concerned because the house lights, refer, etc doesnt work........ but at least the main system is now working and they can travel. There is still probably a bad ground that caused the original starter to go out and may cause problems with the new starter as well....... so this story is just moving north.

They are very nice people and not a day has gone by where Ron wasnt working under the bus and doing hard work. They have made very nice driveway dwellers and I give them the highest of recomendations for their trip north.

Thanks again!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 01:06:13 PM »

. . .The batteries are now charging, reverse works, lights work, etc. The chassis system seems to do fine now. They are heading out tomorrow.  

That's great.

Now about that callused toe... scrub it twice daily with a pumice stone.
And stay on the fuel with the heel. Grin

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:12:24 PM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: