Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 09:46:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT-need help getting on BNO forum  (Read 3188 times)
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »

I have tried unsuccessfully for a while now to get on BNO, but cannot get Ian, or whoever is the moderator to activate my account. Could someone who is "on" over there please ask him to email me or something? rampeyboyataol.com. Thanks for your help!

Boyce Rampey

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 06:17:45 PM »

As I have been told "The boss nut is busy"  Also check your spam folder as things get re directed.  I have not been let in even checking both spam and re applying for addmission. Just keep lurking and gleaning information its all good.

Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »

Boyce,
I have had the same problem. Just gave up.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »

My new Alaskan friends are having the same problem..... they cant get on BNO either. I dont know what is going on, but Ian must have something very important going on and probably in need of prayers as this is sooooo unlike him.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 06:02:53 PM »

Ian has never been one to rush into things gee guys and girls what do you expect for free,I have a friend in Phoenix that is having the same problem here

Life is short drink the good wine first
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 06:19:04 PM »

I havent heard of this before..... I guess Im just out of touch. But when I registered there it was accepted right away, I dont recall waiting....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »

Yea it happens but he has a soft spot for women LOL takes BW to wake him up here lately

good luck

babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »

Yea it happens but he has a soft spot for women LOL takes BW to wake him up here lately

good luck

I posted a PM to BW to get the Boss Nut's ear but I guess it was deaf that day.

Brice

The other Brice
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »

good luck

LOL it has it's advantages.....  Wink Cheesy Grin

Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 08:47:23 PM »

It isn't a new problem.. It took me several trys and about 3 months to get approved and that was back last year. I had already given up when I was approved.

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 06:18:26 AM »

I have tried unsuccessfully for a while now to get on BNO, (snip)

Why would you bother?  I quit going over there months ago -- no "technical content" anymore.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 06:22:35 AM »

Why would you bother?  I quit going over there months ago -- no "technical content" anymore.
[/quote]

Is it just Fids and Foo going at it? Or just no one asking the right questions?

The other Brice
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 06:53:48 AM »

It took me a while to get approved. If you are on facebook, you can make him your friend. I did that and sent him a message. I was approved the next day.

Good Luck,

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »

eh?

Both BNO and BCM receive hundreds and hundreds of robot engine registration attempts per week.

They all have to be gone through manually.

One Saturday recently, between customers at his store, Ian showed me the holding tank for new registrations, the number was something like 2800 attempts. With only a dozen or so visible on the screen at one time, you do the math as to how long that takes to look, decide, delete or allow, and move on. I think we found 2 real busnuts that day.

Seriously cuts into productive work time, or adult beverages, or the hockey game, or.....

For both boards, you really help the moderators if you put some human content into the registration, and choose a user id that appears at least half human, otherwise you blend in with the robots and you simply get deleted.

These are the hidden evils that both boards do a GREAT job in keeping us safe, secure and quiet from the crap out there.

Send me a PM with the user name/e-mail address you tried to register with at BNO recently, and I'll zone Ian onto your coordinates.

And, thank you to BCM for their patience while we discuss how to spend time at a different busnut website....

We are indeed fortunate that the owners of both BNO and BCM have a cooperative outlook towards the hobby!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »

Thanks BW! I couldnt agree more and will get the user name of the AK bus nuts.

|@n

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 03:42:08 PM »

Rampeyboy, you're in. Check your email.

Briceplerge (jerrysalvad0r71@gmail.com - BricePlerge) is the closest thing I have to Brice, but this is a robot registration. But I also checked the registration page and Brice, I accepted your registration back on December 8, 2010, so I wish I could say it was something I was sleeping away on, but it's not. Log in and use the password 123456 then change it as soon as you're in.

Denisskaw (bleiddudelsuv@gmail.com - DenisskaW) is the closest thing I have to Dennis, but this is a robot registration. But Dennis, same thing. You registered and were accepted on December 28, 2010 but have never posted anything. Basically, you gave up before ever trying. How about try again?

Luvrbus, I have no registration attempts at all from the city of Phoenix. Have your buddy try again. I am certain I will find it amongst the bunch. If you feel more comfortable sending an email along with the registration, that'd be great, thank you.

Everyone, Facebook is the social media of choice today. BNO has a Facebook presence called BNO - Bus Nut Online - the social network for busnuts! and it's at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_141126842574707. There are 226 "Friends" who have joined the Facebook page of BNO which also is a self registration process.

So, it looks like I am slow on the trigger on just one registration after all this moaning for nothing here at beautiful downtown Bus Conversions Magazine's forum page. Two things: One, ask me, or maybe BW, if you feel it's more comfy chatting to him, but don't bring it up elsewhere. That's the equivalent of talking behind one's back. It's just rude.

And two: Mike and the gang at BCM - continued congratulations on a great board... the best board... and thank you for allowing this thread to go on unfettered. I know you knew there was an explanation and I'm sure you get the same all the time and I'm also sure that's why you let it stand. Class act. Class web site. Class bunch that run the place. Proud to be a member. Again, thank you  :-)

Ian
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 03:46:31 PM »

Thanks Ian! Looking forward to more activity on both boards!
Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »

I have had the same problem. Just gave up.

Same for us.  If anyone gets through over there, ask him to approve "technomadia".  I've tried registering twice over the course of the past month.

BTW - my hat is off the all the spam-fighting heros out there.  Thank you for all you do!

- Chris // www.technomadia.com

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
busdriver58

Eagles Fan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »

Me too, maybe they have an "ignore new user" button...

Chihuahua, MX
1969 Eagle 05 8V92/Auto &
1964 Eagle 01 8V71/Std
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 04:43:17 PM »

I just signed up over there.  We shall see.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 05:26:33 PM »

You guys can send a private message to   |@n on here. 
hope that helps

Lonnie

1976 4905
|@n

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 05:06:39 AM »

Chris check your email including spam and/or junk email folders, I just approved your registration.

Julio, you registered in May 2010; yep, a year ago. An email likely went to your junk email folder automatically because it comes from my commercial email server, not gmail or other "free spam" service provider. Log in and use 123456 as your password then change it right away.

Wal, you're in, check your email.

Lonnie, to be honest, I have never checked my PMs here, sorry.

Mike and the gang, thank you again for tolerating this thread. I owe ya!

Ian
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 06:52:21 AM »

No problem I@n.  Thank you for the kind words and we feel the same about you and BNO.  We are both in this to serve the bus nut community.   Spammers are a problem that both sites deal with on a daily basis.  Phil can certainly empathize with you on the formidable task of sifting registration requests to keep the spam bots at bay.  And the spammers are getting more sophisticated every day it seems.

As was mentioned, it doesn't hurt to contact the admin via email, or in our case use the contact us form (with "forum" chosen as the reason for contact) to let us know "hey, I just registered and I'm for real" and say something about your bus interest that will show you to be the real thing and not just some spam bot or guy in India or Russia working at his computer.

Phil and I@n both go through hundreds of spam bot registrations to find the real people.  Then when they send either a challenge (to verify it's a real person when they aren't sure) or a confirmation/welcome email, it often goes into the recipients spam folder.  So if you don't get a reply within a few days, it is advisable to check your spam folder.

I would like to just take a moment to show you what some of the spammer registrations look like.  I will mix in couple legitimate users.  Without cheating by looking in the members list, take a moment to pretend you had to spot the real ones from the fake ones (and that you had many more than that to sift through).

UsernameFirst Half of Email
loobakkeracersar
captunderdogcaptunderdog
McDodonhertausten851
chrisullivan11chrisullivan11
augerdoggermystuff4sale
sunglassesmazzwh001
89_Randisew1988

Take a shot at it and see how you do.  Then join me in a round of applause for Phil and I@n for their vigilance and skill at keeping spammers out.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:07:02 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 07:20:41 AM »

hehe....... not my yob mahn

I think both boards are awesome! (((hugs))) to both!

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 08:29:49 AM »

I found out why James never made it here he didn't answer Phil's questions on the return email he is going to try again you guys need to see the photos of his job installing the new section in a wrecked Country Coach Prevost I found for him amazing job with a little help from the guy Boomer referred him too

good luck

busdriver58

Eagles Fan

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 08:38:41 AM »

Julio, you registered in May 2010; yep, a year ago. An email likely went to your junk email folder automatically because it comes from my commercial email server, not gmail or other "free spam" service provider. Log in and use 123456 as your password then change it right away.

Ian

Thanks, I appreciatte your answer.

Chihuahua, MX
1969 Eagle 05 8V92/Auto &
1964 Eagle 01 8V71/Std
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 10:32:27 AM »

This board has a Captcha on the registration form; I've never been to the BNO board but I expect that has one as well if they are using half-decent software. How are all these spam registration attempts getting past that?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 10:44:52 AM »

This board has a Captcha on the registration form; I've never been to the BNO board but I expect that has one as well if they are using half-decent software. How are all these spam registration attempts getting past that?

Jeremy
Bots were developed that could beat Captcha not long after it was introduced.  That is part of you may have noticed the Captcha images getting harder and harder to read on some sites.  Trying to stay ahead of the bots.

But there is also another opponent in the spam wars.  Occasionally you will see projects posted on the freelancer sites for someone to get a large number of accounts set up on forums and social sites.  The pay is too low to interest most in North America and Europe, but it looks pretty good to some of the folks in India or Russia or a few other places.  So sometimes it is a human doing the registrations.  Fortunately they usually have a very poor grasp of English and it shows.
jemamus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »

/bump ditto, I gave up
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 06:16:53 AM »

And, they do all this time consuming BS effectively for free.

If you think you know anything about these matters, check the traffic statistics for both sites.

The server space and the electricity to run the computers might be covered....

So, be happy and be sure to buy any of them a drink when you see them, cuz we all owe them.

a lot!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: