Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 01:29:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting started with 1/2 way finished bus...  (Read 3806 times)
jemamus

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »

My father had a really awesome dream about 12 years ago to go buy a bus and convert it into an RV. We all thought he was crazy.... Blah blah blah you all know how this goes.  But we all supported him and said "cool, let do it" So he got a good deal on a fully functional MCI 9 with a Detroit 6 Cylinder diesel in North Houston and drove it home (over 2 hours) with minimal issues(a little smoking, but nothing major).  He then proceeded to buy updated headlights, a huge air conditioner system to mount, tanks for all water, new updated bumper and a new updated endcap.  Lots of big money parts among various other small things that now are stacked up in the garage collecting dust.  We worked on the bus, stripping it almost completely down, windows, seats, siding even that awful middle isle(wow that sucked).  We raised the roof 8 inches, welded everything down secure and only need 2 more sheets of sheet metal to have it completely closed back in.  This was done over the span of a few years and my father ended up going into a fit of depression over the slow progress of it due to his illness.  He has arthritis in his spine and after working at the plant all day just doesn't have the energy in his old age to go out and do the exhausting work.  So now that I'm finished with college and settled down I was thinking about taking over the project and getting him revitalized and finishing it.  I think working together will make it much easier for him to get out and do it and I hate to see such a cool dream go to waste. Not to mention the money.  My mom wants to sell it in parts or scrap it all, but I refused to let them do that I told them to give me another 2 years and I'll finish it.   So all that happy days family matters stuff aside the problem I face is this.  I'm an electronics technician by trade and my father is as well we are both....mediocre mechanics but not great and know next to nothing about diesel engines.  The bus has been sitting without being ran for about 8 to 9 years now, it wasn't drained or sealed off either.  We also live in coastal Texas so I'm going to have an awesome weekend or two of 12 hour days holding a metal brush grinding wheel on the frame not to mention the problems rust caused in the engine.

Should we finish closing it in and do everything except the engine first? Or do we go straight to the engine and try to make sure she still runs before putting another god knows how much time and energy into the cabin.  I've been told that these Detroit diesels are unstoppable beasts and not to worry about it, but I'd just like some direct feedback from people that actually might have been there and seen it.  We literally have a ton of the parts, it really just needs time and car. 

As I've said I really hate to see all of our hard work and money and time go to waste not to mention someones dream die with it.  So I really appreciate anything and everything you guys and gals can input as far as money savers(we're on a fairly tight budget), tips and really any positive input will be greatly appreciated!  Especially info on what the hell to do with the engine at this point? Do i start it up and see what happens? or do I flush oil and coolant systems before turning it on?  Thanks a lot in advance.

Trey
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »

I would suggest giving a general city location allot of bus nuts in Texas that may be close and be able to help you get it started. If it runs then proceed. Best of luck with your adventure.  Just Dallas Might be able to help you.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:39:30 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
blank

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »

Not only look for some help, but before you continue with the conversion, take care of all the mechanical stuff, etc., and get it out and drive it. Nothing will get you as excited about getting the project going again, than driving it. And then keep driving it as you work on it, so the juices keep flowing.

As far as what the years have done or not, once again, getting it going will tell you. If your not so mechanical, have someone go through some of it for you.

Good luck.

jemamus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »

My city location is 2 hours southwest of Houston.  Any Diesel mechanics novice or pro want come help? I'll buy you some beer and dinner! or Tea...if you don't drink.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »

How far from Victoria are you located Jim lives there he is a good mechinic and knows 2 strokes and has a MCI

good luck 

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 06:58:14 PM »

Not only look for some help, but before you continue with the conversion, take care of all the mechanical stuff, etc., and get it out and drive it. Nothing will get you as excited about getting the project going again, than driving it. And then keep driving it as you work on it, so the juices keep flowing.

As far as what the years have done or not, once again, getting it going will tell you. If your not so mechanical, have someone go through some of it for you.

Good luck.

Agreed, nothing will "recharge" everyones interest in seeing it run down the road if its finished or not.

If I was closer I would lend a hand but Im in IN.

Best of luck with what ever you do! Dont let it get scrapped!!
jemamus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »

How far from Victoria are you located Jim lives there he is a good mechinic and knows 2 strokes and has a MCI

good luck  

I'm about an hour and half from Victoria, not a bad trip.  Exact city is Bay City.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »

Wish I were closer.  See if it will turn over with a socket and a breaker bar on the crank shaft bolt. just move. that would be start. Might start post  Bus nut in Bay City Texas Area.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »

There are several busnuts in the Lake Jackson and West Columbia area and a Eagle owner in Sweeney 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:50:50 PM »

Wish I were closer.  See if it will turn over with a socket and a breaker bar on the crank shaft bolt. just move. that would be start. Might start post  Bus nut in Bay City Texas Area.

Make sure your bus is out of gear if it has a manual transmission.. Wink
blank

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »

Just to let ya know your not alone. I was Bus dreaming when I was a kid back around 1970. We used to sneak into this boneyard and pretend to drive old derilic greyhounds that had seen better days. You know you can cuss a blue streak at imaginary passengers and throw them off the Bus when your 12, lol. I bought an old GMC PD 3751 back in 1988, but didnt have the space or knowledge to make a go of it and it ended up scrapped. That still bums me out.

Once a Bus nut, always a Bus nut? I just drove an MC5 home about 200 miles, had a band bus conversion started. It was all 3/4 ply with formica, the stuff weighed a ton, was put together all Mickey Mouse (but looked okay!). Its all laying out on the trailer, probably close to 2 tons of material. Now I get to start with a clean slate.

I would suggest you sit down with Mom and Dad first, and find your place in this project. I understand your Dad started it, but if your going to see it completed, Mom and Dad need to hand over control making you the CEO of the project. Maybe its still his, maybe its his money, or some ratio between you two, but if the choice is you completing it or seeing it scrapped, they need to hand over authority and direction. Certainly bounce things off them, and certainly make intelligent and sound logical choices they can agree with, but take control.

IMHO, your first priority should be to get it running and determine what the Bus needs to be mechanically sound and road safe, and then assess the project from that point. If your going to bail out, youll do much better having a Bus someone can drive home. But lets be clear. MC9's are a dime a dozen right now and losing value. If the Bus will need significant monies invested to get it running and roadworthy, and your not commited to finish the project, bail out now. There wont be any sense throwing money at it if its all going down the drain anyway. IOW, no major repairs or engine overhauls or anything unless your keeping it.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:01:14 PM »

You what? You want to do a bus conversion? An unfinished one at that? You must be a nut........ a bus nut......sigh, poor guy! Welcome! Soon you will look like the rest of us

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 11:03:14 PM »

Do i start it up and see what happens? or do I flush oil and coolant systems before turning it on?

First of all, I admire you for wanting to keep and finish the bus you and your dad started. There is more value in that than any bus you can buy.
Now to answer your question, I would first put a socket on the crankshaft and try and turn it over like was already mentioned. If all is good there, I would then drain the oil and install new oil and filter (Delo 100 40w or equivalent rated for 2stroke only) Then I would make sure your fuel system is clean and install a new fuel filter. Then I would crank the motor over from the rear of the bus with the fuel off until the oil pressure comes up. If all is good and the coolant is full, you are ready to start.

My guess is; after all that it will fire right up.  Grin

Good luck

Gary

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 03:23:32 AM »

I would get it running, check fluids first. It will probally fire right up. I would wait to change fluids, till it is ready for the road for good. Good luck

Tom Yaegle
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 03:55:08 AM »

I agree with Gary... The bus is already worth more than any other shell you could buy because your father started the conversion...and you would be helping him fullfill his dream.. Take the advice that has already been given and see if you can get it running like it should and then proceed from there with the conversion work. I wish you Good Luck!!

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: