Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 12:57:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting started with 1/2 way finished bus...  (Read 3953 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 05:56:27 PM »

You need not worry about the rack stuck on a 6V92 they are spring loaded to prevent what Russell is saying,but I would change the oil the mighty Delo 100 oil (if that is what it has ) will separate when sitting for a very long periods 
Chevron puts a use by date on the drums or mix it again just thought I would throw the info out for you guys bet you you didn't know that lol 

good luck

I wouldn't challenge you for luv nor money.  Just curious though....what are the phases that separate out made of?  One of them can't be ash.  Water would spin m head and dampen my day LOL

But there is some ash and there is some sulfur and what?

So far the advice to use Delo 40 weight specifically rated for TWO STROKE has been under-emphasized.  Some shops that don't stock Delo 2 stroke will make every effort to sell him Delo 20W 40 or another multi-grade....none of which are suitable.  Stick to your guns.  Lots of jerks set you up to "do what I tell ya or your calling me a liar".

Just asking, now

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 06:03:08 PM »

Buried in the "talk" is the implied message that engine work can escalate to tens of thousands in short order.  It will take a stout heart and deep pockets, not to mention a firm commitment to throwing good money after bad to stick with a bad deal out of nostalgia.  You could easily get into a dollar level where you could buy a finished bus in good condition for a more reasonable price.  But, I would do what you are doing and stick with Daddy's project till the dust settles and you can make an informed decision.  It's all fun anyway.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
jemamus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »

Hang tight Gary we will both get flamed for this one lol he is in a very high humidity area like 100% in the summer 50% is low for that area

good luck

Yea it's kinda like living in a sauna about 75% of the year and a walk in freezer the other small portion.  As I've said I have a few weekends worth of 12 hour grindfest sessions to buff the rust off of all the framing we put up before so pray for my back and hands.  Good thing Schlumberger purchases expensive anti fatigue and vibration gloves for me.  I'll get some good use of them on those 2 weeks ends.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 06:05:43 PM »

You have wal in your back yard he has the sources in your area. for the rite oil and filters etc  forgot  he trains dogs to leave snakes alone. so must be a intresting guy.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:12:39 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
jemamus

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 06:08:12 PM »

Buried in the "talk" is the implied message that engine work can escalate to tens of thousands in short order.  It will take a stout heart and deep pockets, not to mention a firm commitment to throwing good money after bad to stick with a bad deal out of nostalgia.  You could easily get into a dollar level where you could buy a finished bus in good condition for a more reasonable price.  But, I would do what you are doing and stick with Daddy's project till the dust settles and you can make an informed decision.  It's all fun anyway.

John

we're putting a pretty small amount of cash down and saying heres what we have to go on.  Lets make her run then we'll decide whether or not it's worth doing anything else.  I don't plan on making my shallow pockets or my fathers much shallower, this is more of a finish it just to say we did, with minimal expenses.  What it looks like afterwards, we really couldn't care much about.  And as I've said about 90% of the parts that we need we already have sitting in the garage sooooo...it's a do or die thing.
jemamus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 06:10:31 PM »

You have wal in your back yard he has the sources in your area.

Indeed I'll need to have a bar b que and invite everybody around over! Cool
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 06:11:14 PM »

Tery, the O'Rilley auto parts in Bay City can get what ever you need filters, oil and they had Delo 100 40w in stock the last time I was in there when I needed fuel filter they had those also.
Check the wholesale bulk stations in you area I like Exxon/Mobil oil myself just remember you are not married to Delo there are a 100 different brands of 40w out there you can use I am not a Delo fan could you guess that lol

good luck
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:15:41 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »

J  my boys are in their early 30's now and helped on last two coaches and we share the pride of our accomplishment.  When I'm out I take great pride in bragging on the fact that the coach is a family project.  A proud PaPa   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 11:52:16 AM »

I say for grits and shins, change the oil filter-air filter and fuel filters, pop in some batteries and fire that baby up.  She might surprise you.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 06:38:51 PM »

I have to laugh at the post "1/2 way finished bus"!! The only finished busses I know of are in the scrap yard!!! There isn't a bus that is finished  around here! Ok... maybe a few that claim to be 75 or 80 % but those are rare.  Cheesy Cheesy

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »

For safety and piece of mind, do not change the fuel filters until you have at least tried starting the engine. Thae reasoning is that the filter probably has enough fuel to make the engine fire, and probably take off. Filters seldom plug completely, they just pass lees and less and less fuel. Even at idle, a plugged filter will pass enough fuel to start and run.

I say for grits and shins, change the oil filter-air filter and fuel filters, pop in some batteries and fire that baby up.  She might surprise you.

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 08:25:45 PM »

You need not worry about the rack stuck on a 6V92 they are spring loaded to prevent what Russell is saying.

good luck

Ive heard you talk about this before, even on 8V71s as I recall. What year did they start doing them that way??
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: