Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 11:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ron and kristins starter comparisons..  (Read 3941 times)
MDV Maria V

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »

Answers to replies both on this thread and Teresa's-  will try to keep it all on this thread from now on for archived issues.

Starter does not grind; when starting, it hammers very hard until engine starts and the key is let off, then hammering stops.  Does not hammer when key is in run position or make any sound whatsever, only sounds when key is in start position.
The new starter is wired exactly like old starter.  If it is not right, it has been like that since purchased two months ago.  Negative is grounded directly to bus body.  There is a connection from bus body to engine. Starter is grounded directly to bus body. Positive runs from batteries to connection block, from block, one cable runs to starter, smaller cable runs to front of bus.  From starter, cable connection goes directly to alternator.  Wire from relay goes to solenoid.
RE: relay, could be relay, we did find one burned up going to tail  lights, another that went to old horn.  Starting issue may possibly be a bad relay chattering, causing hammering in starter.
Yes, we have roadside assistance with AAA.  I would suggest that anyone planning an Alcan trip get the full protection!
Yes please on connecting us with the GM group who is going to AK June 1.  We will already be home one way or another, by then.  We may be looking for a place to store her for the summer, if anyone has any ideas about that. She was meant to be a stateside bus, anyway!
Planned to drive through Oregon, John, thanks for coverage!
Ron says thanks so much, you all "rock"~  KRISTIN
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »

DO THIS NEXT...... Bus in neutral.  connect a wire to the B+ term on the starter....strike connect/ momentary contact  the other end of that wire to the Re or SW terminal on the starter solenoid.  If it chatters you have a bad starter or it is not wired correctly internal.  If it starts fine then it's between the switch and the starter. If the starter is OK then put in a switch in the engine compartment that is called a "rear start" switch.  You are supposed to have one of those anyway but be sure it is a momentary contact switch so it shuts off when you release it.

From this point I think the trouble shooting of the starter is complete.  Wiring?  Lots of stuff. 

I am pretty certain I can give you my space to store the bus.  $50/ mth. or part.  Rick's starter rebuild shop is on the premises.  He rebuilds starters and alternators but doesn't work on vehicles.  I can help you work on it but I am getting long in the tooth so heavy lifting is kept to a min.  But, between the three of us we should be a certainty to succeed.  This is only a option and not a request.  I don't know what path you are taking north and the fuel difference might pay for a shop.

And again, good luck.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »

you correct me if I am wrong but in one of the posts you said the charge (amp) gauge pegs on the discharge side after starting if that is the case the starter is staying engaged because the starter will draw over double the amps the alternator will produce if it was a dead short the fire dept would be there 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
MDV Maria V

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 05:06:38 PM »

update and thanks so much for all the suggestions!
Wiring is most definitley correct, all terminals have been thouroghly cleaned, both pos and neg. starter has been bench tested prior to reinstallation, soon to occur. Bench test: starter solenoid  on new starter, doesn't chatter, engages very solid.  Starter spins freely.  Old starter solinoid now engages very solid, old starter does not turn. I can turn old starter manaully but not with DC power.  Have determined starter is not miswired and works correctly
TomsToy
Tom Turner

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 08:30:34 PM »

Hi Folks,
   Not being a GM man I am not sure of bus voltage but you said that you got a new "set" of 8Ds which would imply more than one and a 24 volt electrical system but the new starter solenoid was stamped 12V.  Is the electrical system 12 or 24 volt?

1984 TMC MC-9 6V92T HT740
La Grange, Georgia
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »

12v

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
pato-06

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2011, 04:52:57 AM »

most likley the starter relay. had similar problem, just switch wires to ac relay if you still have it.pat.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 09:24:25 PM »

Update for the archives:

They took the new starter apart to check the brushes. However the new starter's bushings were fine. In taking this starter apart though, they found a stripped screw. That tiny little screw was causing lack of good contact and thus the hammering sound.

With the help of my Uncle George Todd, they ran down several other issues with the electrical system. The reverse, lights, charging, etc. all seems to be working right now. Mostly it was bad grounds.

While Uncle George was here they also went over the slack adjustment to the brakes and the brakes are said to be safer now.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 09:36:35 PM »

Hats off to your uncle Georage he seems  to be a very good uncle to have. I really enjoyed talking with him. I am glad the folks are on their way home  The OP should have his name posted some where they flat took these folks to the cleaner.      Tony
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 04:34:52 AM »

Papatony
To me it doesn't seem like the previous owner deliberately misled, it just sounds like a typical old bus scenario. Once Uncle George was on the case, it sounds like a few minutes of accurate diagnosis and then repair of routine minor maintenance issues solved the problems.

Ted
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:38:19 AM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 05:18:48 AM »

Ted,

Well said.  Not being there I tend to agree.  Had I had this experience and this difficulty I quite imagine I would be looking for "Devils" as well as fixes. Sad Cry  Good thing he has agility and energy going for him.....my goose would have been cooked.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 05:47:25 AM »

The upside! what a education!! he might not think so now but he has something no one can take away from him :and security if something else comes up. Just might be able to say-Aw that's nothin just do this and lets go    best of luck and good bussin   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 05:53:03 AM »

Hi guys I guess you are wright these guys have been around a long time.  Its just if I had sold my bus going that far I would do every thing I could make sure it was right. Happycamperbrat brought up a good point about keeping a record of the changes we have to do for some one in the future. I had to do a lot of work on the wiring, and I'm going back right now and record it. Sooner than later some one else will have to deal with it.  Hats off to all the folks who helped this couple. I bet we will have two new members soon.       Tony
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: