Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 07:28:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: back up camera  (Read 1284 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »

Lets talk about back up cameras.  Mine is on the fritz and need to go get another one.  Let me know your thoughts.  If anyone has one they want to sell let me know what you have and I'll consider it. 

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 07:42:37 PM »

I replaced just the camera about 2 years ago when I accidently fried the existing. I picked one up at Radio Shack for $29. w/60 ft of coax. It's color and claims to have night vision, but at night without backup floods on I can't see didly. My old one was much better. I strung the new coax down through the dash and into the bays coming up in the engine compartment. Now I have two styles of coax already strung if I ever have to replace again LOL. Good luck, Will

Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »

If you just want to get by with a crt type monitor and want to buy the camera I have an older Voyager monitor you can have for free. I just don't have any spare cameras.

This is what I have now and it seems pretty good:
http://www.asaelectronics.com/voyager-7-multi-screen-rear-view-lcd-monitor-with-4-camera-inputs.html

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 02:42:11 AM »

I am almost positive it is the monitor part that is crashing.  It is black and white.  If you hit the mode 1-2 button it will show a fantastic picture for about 2 seconds then the lines get squirly and then snow.

Paladin that was a very nice offer.  I think I best go to Radio shack though.  I can have the monitor today for the same cost as shipping and I wouldn't have to trouble you none with boxing it up and getting to the post office.  That was a kind offer and not likely forgotton any time soon.

www.snakebreaker.com
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 04:07:49 AM »

I bought  a cylindrical type camara on e bay for ten or twenty bucks and mounted it in a home floodlight fixture.works great and is fully adjustable. If you want a photo e mail me at stifflersfather@gmail

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 10:36:20 AM »

I am guilty of having one and I view it (no pun intended) as very distracting where it is currently located and leave it off most of the time.

When I hookup:

A- I never allow anyone to help

B-Stop the process if anyone comes up and wait till I am again alone to finish. I also make a point never to approach anyone doing this either.

IMO the current location on the dash is going to be replaced with a set of gauges for the gen that warrents that spot more appropriately.

Recent advances in technology has driven the price down to peanuts for many of these camera and IMO the price is now more in line with its value, very little.

The monitors do add to the complexity and depth of the instrumentation array if that is Worth something to you.

If something comes loose I am going to feel it and hear it, for sure.

If you currently do not have one a photo of the toad attatched to the dash will simulate the experiance wonderfully.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 10:48:20 AM »

This is the one that is in the bus right now.  They have it for $150 bucks at northern tool. I just ran across it while surfing the net. I found the entire package for $90 at some bibi zizi.com whatever they are called?  I thank yall for the input.  I decided to just spend the $90 and ordered the package.  All I have to do is plug it in to the existing wiring.  I really didn't want to have to dig out the old wire and run a new one.  This way the I can use the existing wire on both ends.  I definately like the photos of desi arnez's.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200321517_200321517

www.snakebreaker.com
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »

Where did you find it for $90?  The Northern Tool one is color, there is a cheaper black and white one.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 04:59:58 PM »

i just used the old wire from the sony b/w cam   all you need is the coax part and hook the power to the light system  so it is only on when you are running. i find it very nice to be able to see what is in back of you, like when i was pulled over the other day by a cop, i didn't see him in the side mirrors but i saw him in the rear cam.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »

Where did you find it for $90?  The Northern Tool one is color, there is a cheaper black and white one.

The one I have now is B and W.  I don't mind it at all.  I ordered the new one from Spytown.com

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »

i just used the old wire from the sony b/w cam   all you need is the coax part and hook the power to the light system  so it is only on when you are running. i find it very nice to be able to see what is in back of you, like when i was pulled over the other day by a cop, i didn't see him in the side mirrors but i saw him in the rear cam.
I bet he appreciated it as well.

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: