Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 08:08:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trip cancelled - going to sell bus  (Read 6994 times)
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »

I way underestimated what it would take in terms of time to get a working bus.  I would have never started on this if I knew I wouldn't have a usable bus to leave on Sept 27th.

I'll bet everyone here is guilty of that.  What you're going through is nothing new.  To make a usable RV/bus in just a few months single handed is just unrealistic.  I thought I could do it in a year and that was a severe underestimation.  If you had just one more day, you'd still need just one more.  That's the way it goes.  I'm with Bob.  Stop looking for pity here and get out there and work on the bus.  It won't fix itself.

The good news is that is you really want to bail and are willing to take the substantial loss you claim, you should be able to move it quick.

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2006, 08:42:16 PM »

So sad to hear of your "fed up!" Angry Definetly know that frustration. Sounds like you need to go on this trip no matter how you get there at this point even if it's a bicycle.

I'm not sure, but this is my take on this.

-it seemed you were opting for going in a conversion Van to the desert with tents. Also sounds like your buddies were'nt really into it either. However, if they still are, Temp latch the door and get down the road in the bus, same facilities as a Conversion van but has genny, more room, and get's better mpg. At least drive it around the block before you make the final decision whether or not to take it.

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda, DOESN"T MATTER NOW! just going on the trip, push has come to shove so are you going? You can't talk about selling the bus because you can't do it before you go.( of course if you leave kyle4501 the key's he'll come get it and add it to his collection before you get back Cheesy his wife won't mind Grin Cheesy)

We expect post next week on how the trip was, especially on how the bus was or could have been. ( :)and we know you can post Mr. Hero Member Wink) this board is here for exchange of facts and ideas (and an opinion every now and then)

Why your adventure may iinclude being glad you're only having to get a conversion van unstuck. Roll Eyes

-now it seems that you also mentioned not going with your buddies, if you don't, go some where in the bus, even if it's close by. (I farmed out getting the grass mowed money well spent and allows me a little time too work on the bus). You don't need plumbing cause you have to stop to potty any way and the campgrounds have good potties and showers. You may find that you want to work from the bus. or live in the bus(no grass to mow)

Do it your way, and if it's not workin out how you planned, change your way to make it work for the best.

Life is short, go enjoy some of it. ( and have enough fun that you know that your havin it, relax too)

Look forward to your reports of adventure.

Cool
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:17:09 PM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
bobadame

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2006, 10:36:13 PM »

I haven't touched my bus in a couple of years. Life has gotten in the way of that project but I am starting to see that I will be back on it in another year and a half. Sounds to me like you need a break from your bus. It will wait for you.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 04:23:16 AM »

Most of the posts in this thread have been pretty understanding and supportive of Brian, recognizing the symptoms of burn out. But I am suprised to see some of the tough love posts, some even reading as accusational. From the very start (not just this thread but the one where he first realized it was probably not going to be ready) Brian recognized his personal responsibility for falling short. Unlike half the people in this world, he did not try to blame others for his situation. he took responsibility. That in my mind demonstrates strength of character. He burned himself out trying hard and doing his best and missed his deadline anyway. He came here in his frustraton and despair to share his news with the friends and comrades that he had found in this forum. I beleive he came here looking for understanding from the only people that could truly understand. Not to have a pity party or to get ridiculed for being down and out.

Some have pointed to his post count as being time poorly spent. Yet it appears that most of his posts have been related to his seeking answers to his questions. Would it have been time better spent beating his head against the wall trying to reinvent the wheel? I think not. Sure, some posts were merely conversational, but then not so many as to indicate wasted time.

Most of all, to those few who have been critical of the way Brian is feeling, I have to ask - have you never been burned out? I don't mean just bummed out about something, but truly burned out. Have you ever worked 140 hours per week (that's 140 not 40) on a project for two or three months trying to meet a deadline and then missed the deadline anyway and had someone critique your dedication or attitude? Or maybe you spent weeks or months in a 100+ degree jungle or desert carrying 100+ pounds of gear. You don't expect the shavetail riding in the jeep or humvee to understand or share your view. But at the end of the day you expect that your fellow grunts will understand the tiredness that goes right through your bones. Or maybe your burnout was from too many hours in cold water while the DI hurled insults at you. Or too many hours carrying a water pack and shovel in the mountains fighting fire. Or in the ER working 72 on and 24 off doing your best saving some and losing some. Or maybe your burnout was purely emotional as your marriage went from bad to worse no matter how hard you tried.

In all of these cases you go to your friends who have gone through it. Not looking for pity, nor a kick in the @$#, maybe not even advice. But just to talk about it with people who have a common frame of reference. Any one of us may not agree with a particular decision he made or may consider the goal to have been unrealistic (something Brian already recognizes). But I think each of us have been there some time in some way. Some of us several times.

Brian, as I said before, I do hope you will wait to make any decisions about your bus until you have had time to refresh yourself and spend some time doing other things. You will likely see things quite differently.
belfert

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2006, 04:48:34 AM »

Ok I'm in a motel room and on my laptop. To make it quick and to the point...

I second what NCbob said!

If some of these guys that are TRYING to convert a bus into a motorhome of sorts whether it be a steel tent or luxurious coach, how about spending MORE time on the project than on the COMPUTER! DUH...

One can always tell how much time another spends on thier project from the time they spend talking about it HERE!

Most of my posts here are during downtime at work or during short breaks from working on the bus.  I spent a good ten hours on the bus Saturday and I actually spent 8 hours Sunday trying to get the entrance door fixed and fixing some other things that need to be fixed if the bus is sold or not.

Brian Elfert
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2006, 04:53:10 AM »

HighTechRedneck,
OOHRAH, USMC 85-91 Grin

Brian,

Seriously though, it took me a couple years to get my bus usable and after 6 yrs it still isn't the way I want it. We took several trips while the ole bus sat in the driveway. Cry My opinion is Brian just shove the bus in a corner someplace and forget about it for a little while. If you just let it sit and take a break from it, I can promise you that it won't eat anything or won't waste money. Trust me on this issue as currently I am converting my bus, restoring a 57 Chevy, restoring a 63 VW, and trying to change professions. Grin

Dale
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2006, 07:10:36 AM »

Brian,
Sometimes you gotta know when to fold. Selling the bus may be a plausible idea. Not because of any shortcomings in your time management or otherwise...but you gave the reason in you initial post...."only take one or two trips a year." The time between those couple trips per year are likely to cause untold issues. This becomes even more complicated an issue if the bus is stored outdoors.
If you keep the bus, you'll have to get it on an exercise schedule. They can sit for some time, but it doesn't appear that you'll use it enough to merit keeping it.
We use our bus almost every month for 3 or 4 days each outing...personally, I wouldn't fool with it for any less. Way too much work. And it never ends. You got to have some misplaced priorities in life to own a bus and maintain it. It ain't for most people...those of us that pay to maintain and use them probably tend more to the "mentally obsessive" side of life.
Most dedicated bus owners have only one hobby...the bus. Maybe two hobbies...one of them depends on the bus..like my music. The bus is an adjunct to get me to music festivals 8 or 10 times a year. Another plus is that my wife enjoys the music too. This keeps her on board. If not for that...the bus would be a net liability. Hell, it's net liability no matter how you look at it.
Been working on the bus since 01 and it's still far from finished. And this is without any major mechanical issues.
Good luck with you choice Brian, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2006, 01:52:55 PM »

I was waiting for HTR's post - new it was coming, just didn't know from who - Thanks HTR, couldn't have said it better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
JerryH

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 04:43:25 AM »

Brian:

This is a good thread for someone thinking about doing a conversion. #1. Whatever time you "think" it's gonna take you to convert your bus -- you've likely under estimated it (both financially and time). #2. You're either bitten and you're a BusNut ... or you're not. I am sure many of us have hit some sort of wall during our conversion process (we each hit the wall a bit differently). However, if you step back ... take a breath ... take some time off ... return and eagerly and happily resume, then I think you're a BusNut. If you bail [on the bus] and move on without regret and no looking back, then I think the idea of being a BusNut may have been a fleeting thing. #3. You've got to have desire and passion to do a conversion (in my opinion).

Before prematurely selling your bus, go mow and bag your lawn, straighten up your homes inside, and take a vacation. Return with renewed energy and (hopefully) desire.

However, you might as well do the math now. If you're concerned about spending money on diesel fuel now ... buckle up. In addition to the fuel, you'll have oil changes, tires, etc., etc., etc. This, above and beyond the cost of the bus and conversion itself. What I am curious about ... you note that you should have bought custom motorhome you saw for $75k. If you had $75k to start with, you likely could have found a decent bus set up with bunks, etc. that you could have tweaked to your own needs over a period of time.

Anyway, go get a drink ... walk away ... don't sell. Come back and pick up the tools and resume with renewed enthusiasm.

Jerry H.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 07:16:49 AM »

Jerry,
 I have to disagree with you. A person does not have to do a conversion to be a busnut. There are hundreds of os out here who have purchased a bus or two already converted and we are, in my opinion, just as much a busnut as any of those with more skills or time who have done their conversion themselves.
Richard

Brian:

This is a good thread for someone thinking about doing a conversion. #1. Whatever time you "think" it's gonna take you to convert your bus -- you've likely under estimated it (both financially and time). #2. You're either bitten and you're a BusNut ... or you're not. I am sure many of us have hit some sort of wall during our conversion process (we each hit the wall a bit differently). However, if you step back ... take a breath ... take some time off ... return and eagerly and happily resume, then I think you're a BusNut. If you bail [on the bus] and move on without regret and no looking back, then I think the idea of being a BusNut may have been a fleeting thing. #3. You've got to have desire and passion to do a conversion (in my opinion).

Before prematurely selling your bus, go mow and bag your lawn, straighten up your homes inside, and take a vacation. Return with renewed energy and (hopefully) desire.

However, you might as well do the math now. If you're concerned about spending money on diesel fuel now ... buckle up. In addition to the fuel, you'll have oil changes, tires, etc., etc., etc. This, above and beyond the cost of the bus and conversion itself. What I am curious about ... you note that you should have bought custom motorhome you saw for $75k. If you had $75k to start with, you likely could have found a decent bus set up with bunks, etc. that you could have tweaked to your own needs over a period of time.

Anyway, go get a drink ... walk away ... don't sell. Come back and pick up the tools and resume with renewed enthusiasm.

Jerry H.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2006, 07:39:27 AM »

Hey everybody,

I just got off the phone w/Brian a little while ago, and he's not selling the bus (not yet atleast!) and he's gonna try na make it to the "TN FALL BUS BASH @ KNUCKLE"S" Oct. 26th-31st! I told him to get his butt back on the board too! He's currently working on getting the door to work!

Ok ya'll NCBob & Jackie, Ross, Steve & Ethel Hurst, Brian, Danny(last I'd heard anyway) & Family, Steve & Dorothy Nichol, (Hopefully, the man who suggested this gig in the first place) El Sonador, Huck_A_Buck (Scotty our do anything he can to help out Buddy), Myself & a few others who have said they'd be here and I either didn't get a name or I forgot it! Are ALL gonna be here at the "TN FALL BUS BASH" ! SO COME ON OUT AN JOIN THE FUN! BK Grin

On a side note I don't own a conversion, & never have owned a conversion. But I love buses so I'm a nut,
............ who loves buses which in my opinion makes me a "Busnut" LOL! BK  Grin
Somedaay I'll convert and still be a "Busnut"!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:43:33 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2006, 08:54:34 AM »

I just got off the phone w/Brian a little while ago, and he's not selling the bus...

You're a good man, Bryce. And a busnut if there ever was one.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
JerryH

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2006, 05:13:26 PM »

Jerry,
 I have to disagree with you. A person does not have to do a conversion to be a busnut. There are hundreds of os out here who have purchased a bus or two already converted and we are, in my opinion, just as much a busnut as any of those with more skills or time who have done their conversion themselves.
Richard

Richard - I certainly WASN'T excluding those who pruchased a completed conversion as being a BusNut ... my apology to anyone out there whos took offense. Those who know me from up in Canada ... several bought their buses "as-is" and are certailnly every bit of a BusNut.

Ok, that said ... I'd like to add to the comments here Cheesy.

Many a bus gatherings I've missed -- for many reasons. Whether it be mechanical, work, financial, something not being ready. LIFE can be frustrating, but when things appear to "suck" ... we take a moment to gather our thoughts and then move forward when we feel ready. Most of us don't "throw in the towel", suggest we're selling our bus, or delete our profile from the board. I have more projects around here than Carter has liver pills (as I am sure we all do). They (usually) do get done, but maybe not at the pace we'd like. THAT'S LIFE!!

I know I'll get chatised for saying this, but I think that Brians premature post of saying he's selling the bus and quitting the board was (pretty much) a juvenile response -- regardless of the frustration at the moment.

Ok, firing line is now open.

Jerry H.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 06:06:42 PM by JerryH » Logged
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2006, 05:43:29 PM »

Thanks Jerry, I was sure you were not excluding me and others like me.

Also, based on what I have read, I have to agree with you on your second part.
Richard

Jerry,
Richard

Richard - I certainly WASN'T excluding those who pruchased a completed conversion as being a BusNut ... my apology to anyone out there whos took offense. Those who know me from up in Canada ... several bought their buses "as-is" and are certailnly every bit of a BusNut.

Ok, that said ... I'd like to add to the comments here Cheesy.

Many a bus gatherings I've missed -- for many reasons. Whether it be mechanical, work, financial, something not being ready. LIFE can be frustrating, but things appear to "suck" ... we take a moment to gather our thoughts and then move forward when we feel ready. Most of us don't "throw in the towel", suggest we're selling our bus, or delete our profile from the board. I have more projects around here than Carter has liver pills (as I am sure we all do). They (usually) do get done, but maybe not at the pace we'd like. THAT'S LIFE!!

I know I'll get chatised for saying this, but I think that Brians premature post of saying he's selling the bus and quitting the board was (pretty much) a juvenile response -- regardless of the frustration at the moment.

Ok, firing line is now open.

Jerry H.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2006, 06:45:36 PM »

Hi all

as to being a busnut,

#1 -- If you love a bus, any bus, i think that could qualify you as a busnut. if you didn't build your own unit, it doesn't discount your love of the vehicle.

#2 -- There are I think a select amount of people who love all busses. I for one break my neck when going down the road to see ANY bus, be it schoolie or otherwise, converted or not.

#3  -- I and my family have chosen to live in a bus fulltime. This requires a certain amount of sacrifice as well as a lot of enjoyment that the "mainstream public" has no connection to. We are fortunate to have an occupation that allows us to live this way, and fulfill our busnut dreams daily.

To Brian
Hang in there, you have made the leap, and if you just give yourself the time to develop your hobby you will in time thank yourself for that very hobby.IMHO

I do appreciate the posts that you made in the course of your project. I even learned a few things from your discourse.

so, good luck in all of your endeavors.
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: