Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 08:48:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone really drive 55 MPH on interstates?  (Read 6012 times)
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »

About 10 years ago there was a report, making the rounds, credited to the Insurance Institute that indicated the safest speeds (least accidents) in order from safest were: speed limit plus 5, speed limit minus 5, speed limit, speed limit minus 10, speed limit minus 15, speed limit plus 10, and the speed limit plus 15.

In the bus I feel safer going slower than the speed limit on the interstates.  The bus itself is a distraction from the road and its troubles, what with all the gauges that need to be monitored, all the sounds that need to be heard and all the vibrations than need to be pondered as I roll down the road. 

I never worry about somebody hitting me from behind.  As even the most clueless texter sees the big butt of the bus long before they are close enough to touch.

In fact it was Michael Hargis of 'Singing Land Cruiser' fame who showed me I could travel the speed limit.  I followed him to a rally at the Q and he drives fast.

On secondary roads I find the fastest speed that doesn't launch items off the counters to be the best and I let people go by when it is safe.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »

I made a run to Bakersfield last year to get a cheeze burger ... Did it in under thirty hours ... Ran so fast that I got enough moving violations to wallpaper my shop!

Drop the hammer on it and run .....

BCO

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »

Tailgaters do bring out the a-hole in me.

Len -

A colleague of mine has a rather large bumper sticker on the back of his F-350 crew-cab dually pick-up that says:

TAILGATER SPECIAL! - FREE HOLEY RADIATORS!
Get yours today courtesy of my trailer hitch!

Of course, his hitch is one of those massive pintel-types for pulling BIG horse trailers, at the perfect height to tear up the front end of just about any car (especially the rice rockets, of which we have an abundance here locally).

Seems to keep them away. . .

Shocked

Brian -

I often run up/down our three local freeways pulling my little utility trailer as I make my daily rounds.  Doing so limits me to 55 mph and the RH lane, since I'm in CA, altho I usually run 58 - 60.

What I really find interesting about this, compared to running 65 - 75 w/o the trailer, is that I often do not have a lot of traffic immediately ahead of me in my lane.  Thus, I now have a much larger front "safety cushion" to react to upcoming traffic conditions and provide safer braking distances.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
somewhereinusa

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2011, 03:50:29 PM »

Since the difference between 55 and 65 at today's fuel prices is about $10,000. YES
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »

Hello:     I Have limited my speed to 60 most time and yesterday did abit at 65 going over the hills in alabama and missisippi on I 20    presently in monroe la heading for texas tomorrow  mileage is up  and with 400 fuel prices I need all the help I can get
    Regards and happy bussin mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2011, 07:30:12 PM »

Mike can you run in second overdrive at 60 and what do you find to be the optimum rpm for fuel mileage??

Good to see that you are on the road

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »

Similar topic linky: How to increase speed

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
opus

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2011, 07:50:10 PM »

62 tops 65.  Fast enough with people in bunks or moving about.  You couldnt keep up with the traffic here in MT, so no sense even trying. Then there is the fuel difference.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 04:54:45 AM »

Hello:    Concerning gearing and such:   
            with the geaaring I have   b400r  6 speed with 4.625 rear
                        @1700 rpm    4th  45mph;  5th   60.9mph;    6th 70mph;
           for climbing purposes   4th @2100 is 56 mph
   With a mechanical engine the turbo needs rpms to spool up and be effective. I believe below 1500 it is not as efficient.
    The engine likes to run between 1750 and 2000. I try to keep the engine pyro around 900 or below.  the pyro is mounted in the exhaust manifold.
    WE need to get more info about fuel consumption but so far 7 and 8 is where we are at.
   Regards and hapy busssin   mike           

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 08:10:53 AM »

Mike, I lost the chart You provided to Me for the gear ratios versus speed!  If You have it in Your computer I would really like another copy.  I missed You at Arcadia this year but worry not I still have Your milling vise.  I ran to Arcadia in  5Th this year and the mileage stayed the same as running in 6Th.  Still getting a little over 6mpg pulling the wrangler!  I want to get rid of this high rear ratio so I do not have to contend with the HT70 hunting back and forth from 5Th to 6Th.  Also would like to climb a hill in something other than 4Th.  You are more than welcome to stop and rest here on Your way back or whatever.  John L
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »

I think we need to all ask the guberment to go back to the 55 MPH national speed limit!

Bawahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: