Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 04:38:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restroom Tank Removal  (Read 1056 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2011, 03:48:25 AM »

Yesterday we got the bus totally gutted.  Today, after church, I'd like to remove the restroom tank.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of room to move down there, but I don't see anything that actually is holding it up.

Any "step by step" instructions for pulling the last of the restroom from the coach?

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:45:26 AM »

That's something that is in my near future as well.  I don't know the difference between my 9 and your 102 but people have stated that you remove the fiberglass cover on the tank and cut the two straps holding the tank up. I just don't see the room to drop it out in the back. Time will tell.

Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »

lots of details in the archives, both here and BNO on this tough job.

Church attendance won't help with this one!

straight to Hades for the language alone, never mind the bad thoughts of the designer and installers...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
challenger440

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »

Well I'm not sure on your bus but on my 7 first remove the fiberglass cover.  Break it if you have to.   There is a large band type clamp that holds the tank to the chute going upstairs. Remove that.  There are 2 straps that hold the tank in place.  Cutting would work.  I just unbolted mine.  The straps are bolted to the floor of the bus.  There might be a few lines attached to the tank, but those should just unscrew.  
the tank came out the side access door.  Done.  

I did mine about a month ago.  3 hours maybe.  JM

John M.
Helena, Mt
MC7  "under construction"
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »

I took the easy way out on this one. http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/search/label/Removal%20of%20the%20Head%2FTank
M&C Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »

Helps if the on the road AC compressor isn't there but still doable with a bit of pulling and scraping past the compressor solenoid valves.

Worst job of the whole conversion

Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:44:14 AM »

Well, with everything I've read so far on removing the tank, it seems I'm in for a nightmare.
My son suggested hooking one end of a chain to the tank and the other to his truck.  I told him to stand by... that might be needed.

Any last minute advice will be appreciated... I'm going out in a few hours to get dirty.

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 12:19:13 PM »

Well, with everything I've read so far on removing the tank, it seems I'm in for a nightmare.
My son suggested hooking one end of a chain to the tank and the other to his truck.  I told him to stand by... that might be needed.

Any last minute advice will be appreciated... I'm going out in a few hours to get dirty.

Actually removing the tank wasn't that big of a deal for me. I think it went much easier and faster than removing the stainless floorpan. As suggested earlier, take something and either cut or break off the fiberglass cover that surrounds the tank. Make sure there are not any hoses or lines connected to the tank.  Next, either cut the bands that are holding the tank up as I did, or either remove the bolts that the bands are attached to. Once that is done, you should be able to pull the tank down and pull it out the rear access door.. That tank is Stainless and worth a few bucks at the scrap yard.

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: