Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 04:47:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mci 9 fuel gauge  (Read 1338 times)
tony

I HAVE A 1980 MCI

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »

how do you know how much fuel you have no gauges for fuel 1980 mci 9
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 06:12:07 PM »

I have a stick... Cheesy Grin Actually it is a piece of rubber hose that I dip into the tank and pull back out. In all reality I have heard that those with gauges have ended up low on fuel and stranded but us "dippers" seldom encounter that problem. I start worrying about fuel after the first 100 miles!! After 500 miles I am a nervous wreck and stop and put 75 gallons in my 144 gallon tank! Actually I don't have an odometer either so now I'm really nervous!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:21:11 PM »

Isn't there a low fuel buzzer/light? My 8 had one. or was that a option?  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »

I replaced the float type sender in my bus with a capacitance based sender with no moving parts.  It is quite accurate.  My VMSpc shows total fuel used and the fuel gauge tracks right along with it.

I know from experience that I can only use 130 gallons out of my 150 gallon tank.  My sender is cut off so that empty is at or just above 130 gallons.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:42:36 AM »

I replaced the float type sender in my bus with a capacitance based sender with no moving parts.  It is quite accurate.  My VMSpc shows total fuel used and the fuel gauge tracks right along with it.

I know from experience that I can only use 130 gallons out of my 150 gallon tank.  My sender is cut off so that empty is at or just above 130 gallons.

The only thing to watch with the capacitance senders is they are susceptible to fungal shorting. Be sure to BIO your tank every now and again.

Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:03:34 PM »

Hello tony.

In the old daze...

Coach was fueled daily, no fuel gauge required.

You may add the fuel gauge sender to one of the plates on the end of the fuel tank, and a gauge in the dash, or you may just keep track of your mileage. MCI sells the sender and the gauge to go in one of the holes in your dash.

Safe fuel range for your coach would have been considered to be 500 miles or so.

Any MCI with no gauge came with the low fuel warning, but you are on the verge of no fuel when it comes on, so best to have a better way of finding out...

Busnuts are best to keep the tank full when parked, to keep the condensation to a minimum.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: