Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 05:48:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tradeoffs: 35ft vs 40ft, Manual vs Automatic  (Read 8519 times)
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 07:16:28 PM »

Getting down the remote road is one thing.  Getting into a campground with a length limit is another.  Most of the remote campgrounds in California have a very short length limit, usually under 26 feet,  or they are tent only. The campground road is very narrow and the turns are very tight.  Then there is the low hanging branches and trees up to the road to get around.  Many of them just will not let you in.

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan An340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2011, 07:36:08 PM »

To the each hisowners,
I have a coach,I drive it on average 12K miles a year and i have an over sized radiator/cooling sys.
and I can run all day at 80 ON FLAT GROUND WITH NO HEAD WIND<<<<<<<<
BUT i have more,much more than 9000lbs( the avg weight of the passengers in a 45 passenger coach) of innards and tow a 16 foot trailer with two HD MC'swhen i want to.And tools out the kazoo and a spare tire and sometimes I tow a Jeep sometimes a Tahoe.....
I've pulled Tioga Pass and into and out of Albuquerque and from Reno to Susanville...to Alaska and back in July and November.
And I know that the life expectancy of my motor is not a worry.
Even with my oversized sys my auto engine shutdowns have tripped 4 times over about 7 years.One in particular i recall 107 degrees out of Prescott to Williams......of course i also know that them thar warning lights mean pull off, not add throttle and downshift in the left hand lane Tongue
Yup I am overjoyed that I don't have a flat screeen, I enjoy my maintenance as much as my coach, and wonder how many cracked heads I have saved my self.
Sign me worry free,to each his own,operator error.... Grin
Eagle19552
PS You can't fool Mother Nature.... Kiss oops thats margarine. Shocked Cheesy Smiley
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:39:39 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »

Does that Eagle still have the 8v71 as when Willie bought it may be on running on marijuana power as much dope that has been smoked aboard that bus

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2011, 08:20:42 PM »

Does that Eagle still have the 8v71 as when Willie bought it may be on running on marijuana power as much dope that has been smoked aboard that bus

good luck

I reckon....it still has the 8-71 Natural ain't thet smokin stuff natural....LOL
needed the Osize to be cool.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »

The RTS is the best in my book! The close 2nd would be a dog nosed skooli! But we all have our own preferences. Here are 2 RTSs that are finished and for sale. http://www.tourwest.com/forsale.html http://www.rts-bus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=628

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2011, 07:16:56 AM »

Yes the 40ft Crown and Gillig mid engine buses have tandems in the rear-but many of the last production models used a single drive with full tag axle.  They both look the same until you look at the hubs-which are obviously different.

I almost used a Crown for my conversion-I would have cut it off behind the driver's compartment and had a new box-similar to what I now have with my truck-custom made.  Then I would have a full length basement.  In building my truck, I'm now installing the furniture without concern for wiring or plumbing-having the full length basement has its' advantages. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »

96" wide.  Get a 1976 or later year model.  Flat glass.  You can easily repower the Small Cam with a Big Cam 2 Cummins putting out as much streetable power as you wish.  Ten speed Roadrangers are soosss cool.

Cruise at 80mph with a top over 100mph.  At 55mph we get over 10 mpg...sometimes better.  Power assist steering.  Very big 15" x 10" brakes. (I think)   Under 30000 lbs street weight converted.

Built like a tank.  A roof rollbar every 17 inches.  Off the shelf HD truck parts.  Will run circles around practically any other coach.  Very inexpensive ex school bus Crown Supercoaches are available on the West Coast.  HB of CJ (old coot)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »

All the way through, Crown had the option of either 2 piece curved windshield or 4 piece flat pane windshield.  Even thought the curved looks much better, the flat pane can always be replaced by most any glass man.  On my Kenworth cabover, I also have a 4 piece flat pane windshield.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bebackbus

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »

I started with a 35 ft gm 4106 and now have a 40 ft mc-8

Both have their advantages.

35 ft much better turn radius.  8=10 mpg with manual,  great interior layout ( almost as much room as the 40 fter and more usable kitchen space) , drives like a sports car, better approach and departure angles

40 ft smoother ride, love the auto, no more worries of steep hills.  By the way 4106's use 2nd gear for reverse, don't try to back up a hill.  6-7 mpg
more bays so more storage area

35 ft    28000#s
40 ft    38000#s

Really would prefer the 35ft length with an auto. 

Some of the 40 ft owners say to the 35 fters      Oh what a cute little bus.
- Strayt Shooter ->

74 MC8-Nemo Nomad

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »

I had a stint in life driving for Gray Line, they had all sorts of MCI's: 7's, 8's, 9's, A's, C's, D's, E's and F's, and a few old GM's, 4104 and 4106. And to me the bigger and newer the better. A 45' E or J 4500 was by far the easiest coach to drive in every way, especially compared to a manual tranny 8V71, which could wear you out after a few hundred miles of mountains. The D's were awesome and built like tanks. The E's and J's were like spaceships in comparison, handled great, smooooth ride, huge power, great mileage, super comfortable.  Granted, the E's steerable rears were like cheating and made driving in city streets and parking lots an actual joy, but I felt as comfortable and confident in any of the 45'ers as I did in the 35's.  While size can be initially intimidating, most people get used to it; I also drove 220-ton capacity 2500-hp mining haul trucks for years, piece of cake once you get the feel of things.  My point is, do not discount a larger rig just because of a couple feet extra length, if anything I think ground clearance might be more important with your lifestyle (I agree about the Crowns, used to live in CA, tough rigs that have to be put down like an old horse 'cause you can't kill 'em.)  You might also take into account that those old manuals might take you lot's of practice, depends on the person, there were people who Gray Line tried to train who never did catch on, compensating for varying terrain, passenger/cargo loads, and even altitude.  By all means though, you must get a bus, if you have some resources and are resourceful, nothing else compares.

Happy Trails.

Smoke Signals from 8V71
Nemo Rd, Black Hills SD
"16-tons, whattaya get...."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: