Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 01:28:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winterizing a southern bus cooling system.  (Read 1147 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2006, 10:24:56 PM »

My bus has spent it entire life as a southern bus. It started in Florida, then to Las Vegas, and finally in southern California. It apparently has never had antifreeze in it, and is equipped with an optional factory filter system for non-freezing service, that the book says to shut off if antifreeze is added. My question is: Does anyone have any experience or lessons learned that I need to be aware of as I drain the water and make the change over to anti-freeze? If I freeze up anything my bus days will be over. Also I called the DD dealer to price their Power Cool. They quoted a price of $16.94 for an undiluted gallon! I know that $200 plus dollars is cheaper than freezing things up but what are they putting in it, liquid gold? All of the fleet mechanics where I work say to make my own by adding the additives to regular antifreeze. I have two close friends that are owner/operators that are telling me the same thing. What are you all doing for your antifreeze? I donít mind paying a little extra for the factory stuff, but this one seems a bit much.

Thanks

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
akbusguy2000

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 02:04:21 AM »

I think you're talking to DD about the wrong product.† Power cool is not coolant, but a PH balancing/correcting additive that is used in conjunction with litmus type test strips.  Although Power Cool is the original brand name, I believe DD markets the product under the name "Nalcool."† †Good quality proper antifreeze should be under $8.00 a gallon.

tg
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 04:34:28 AM »

Just thinking about that price, diluted is about $8.00 p/gallon, so $16 per undilted sounds about right actually.

Hope this helps, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 04:43:27 AM »

I hope you do not have a lot of leaks, I have found over the years that eng. that I have had with no antifreeze and just water and when I added antifreeze I usually had some leaks, don't know why maybe the antifreeze is thinner.
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 05:09:34 AM »

its because the aintfreeze cost more

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 04:37:10 PM »

its because the aintfreeze cost more

Chuck LOL! Although I disagree in a serious sense!   I love that answer, how come I didn't come up with it! LOL!

Barn Owl; I use regular antifreeze and buy NAPAKool (cooling system treatment Part # 4058 from NAPA) and add it per mixing reccomendations on the bottle! ! There's no reason to buy that high dollar DD anti-freeze or even they're additive (as long as you use ONE!) !

Busnut 104; You probably don't have any more of a leak than with straight water! It's just that the antifreeze is easier to see (GREEN), and doesn't eveporate as easy! No one really things about seeing a little water on the ground (unless it's either -30* or 120* outside and hasn't rained in 2 months!LOL!), but let that water turn green and everyone notices it!

Phil; $8.00 a gallon for diluted, so $16.00 regular sounds right? Come on down to the "TN FALL BUS BASH" and for less than $10.00 a gallon we'll fill yer bays, beds, toad and anything else we can with straight antifreeze so you can go home and make some scratch ! I'd never buy "diluted" antifreeze as I have a problem paying for water unless it's the utility company or drinking water!!

Ok that's my 2 cents worth! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 05:37:21 PM »

Be careful of what you say you won't pay for------- I live in the country with well water and if you could see the calcium and chlorine that actually will eat my metal faucets,,,, I will pay or drive many miles for good water or distilled in the stores.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: