Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 12:18:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Propane tank location? Ideas!!!!!  (Read 2579 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »

Looking for some ideas for the location of our new propane tank. 12.5 gallon tank. MCI 9 with the front bays off limits with house batteries, and full electrical panels. Left rear bay full with genset.

Pros and Cons.

Thanks

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »

The old AC condenser bay works well since it is already nicely vented.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:01:11 AM »

Here is what we did, http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/search/label/Propane%20Compartment
Hope it helps. M&C Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:45:55 AM »

Thanks for the pictures!

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
blank

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:12:39 AM »

Im thinking of stacking two fork lift type horizontal tanks with the same type of clamp mount , hopefully in the rear bay with the other tankage. Those can be filled anywhere without paying tank exchange rates. But definetly want double removeable quick fill tanks rather than a single hard mounted tank.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:11:23 PM »

propane being heavier than air their should be a 3 square inch hole per gallon of propane at the lowest point of the compartment and no ignition source present. in other words don't put it in with batteries that might spark in a accident or arc to a upset tank. Please ck the hole size per gallon it's been awhile since I have use propane as I do all electric coaches now.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »

There is a suggestion to put the propane tank on the passenger side in the rear side engine door area. Obviously there is plenty of ventilation and we could build a platform that would hold the tank tightly in place and be insulated very well.

We would obviously be concerned with an engine fire but think the ventilation down the road or sitting still would be more than adequate verse a very large hole in the floor of a luggage bay. Ideas, concerns?

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »

I lost two friends to being immolated by a propane explosion in a RV.  They were impacted by a car and the tanks exploded into the engine bay.  If you can, I would place them in the center of a bay where they are far removed from any impact area and mount them like the powerful bomb that they are.  I wonder that we don't see more tragedy with this situation than we do and thank God for that.

With the heat of an engine bay proximity you will have more automatic venting of your tanks.  There is a code that all permanent tanks have their pop-off pressure relief port plumbed to the rear of the bus where they vent to the atmosphere at a height of 6 feet or some such.  That keeps vented gas from puddling under your coach or accumulating in any depression.  Being high it gets a chance to mix and dilute on exiting the vent tube.  I have never seen this done but the reg has been confirmed to me before.  Permanent tanks, now.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 04:00:51 PM »

John, thanks for those words of advise. We will begin to look else where!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »

if propane is heavier then air, how in the world is it supposed to vent to the roof?

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »

It is heavier than air and it does sink and puddle and collect in depressions.   Who mentioned "roof"?  This is critical stuff to get straight and if you are developing questions I assume others that aren't posting are as well.

Thanks T

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »

if propane is heavier then air, how in the world is it supposed to vent to the roof?

It is under pressure when the vent activates
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »

There is a code that all permanent tanks have their pop-off pressure relief port plumbed to the rear of the bus where they vent to the atmosphere at a height of 6 feet or some such

Okay, then I misunderstood this statement...... could you elaborate?

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »

That keeps vented gas from puddling under your coach or accumulating in any depression.  Being high it gets a chance to mix and dilute on exiting the vent tube

I think this sums it up!
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »

I have an 85 gallon tank, obviously permantly mounted, in the first bay on the street side. It has a relief line attached to it that exits the side of the bus. I sure feel more comfortable with such a tank as it is a lot more durable than say a forklift tank or a couple of 40 lb or 20 lb bottles. It's also handy because I can go a long time between fills. If I had my druthers I sure wouldn't even think about portable bottles. My gen is propane powered also so that really comes into play. Just what I have and would do it that way  if I was building one short of all diesel powered. The hard part would be finding such a tank.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: