Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 10:14:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is worse then a sinkhole? A flood???  (Read 1503 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2011, 04:05:10 AM »

We stayed at a  "nice" little rv park last night. Only problem was the Dayton, OH area, that we were in, got 3 to 4 inches last night.

The river was a foot to a foot and a half deep, in the campground. It was horrible. We made it out, Praise God! The thing that SHOCKED me was the fact that some of the others that were leaving didn't have the decency to warn the others! Seriously, I thought RVers were usually friendly. Not this place. As we left we stood on the airhorn the whole time. I walked it, to stay in front of the bus, so we would stay on the hard part.

Moral of the story, watch when you stay next to a river.

Pictures later.

God bless,

John
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:39:59 AM by John316 » Logged

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:58:23 AM »

Here are some pics. We were up last night, watching the hail (bigger then quarter size). It rained a ton then, apparently 4 inches of rain.

Woke up to leave at 6:30, and saw the river flowing through the park. We decided to try to get outa there right away. That is when we saw some pickup trucks driving out. No telling others, nothing. I couldn't imagine not telling the others. Seriously, I can't comprehend not warning the others. We also called the fire department out, and when we finally pulled out, they had boats out getting people out of there.

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:21:44 AM »

My wife wanted to make sure your not headed our way tomorrow Grin and then ask if you ever thought about taking a train?  had to share.  been a tuff year weather wise. Keep the faith.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
MikeH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:24:52 AM »

John,

Sorry to hear about this latest adventure. You have had your share of tough times this spring. Mud, water, .... Glad you got out ok, and hope you have clear sailing (no pun intended) from here on.

Mike

"It just ain't fair! How come the good guys always win?" -Bad Jack Cutter
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 06:33:18 AM »

Glad you got out of there.  Did you not have any idea the river was there?

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:03:50 AM »

Atleast you was in a bus and not a low sitting rv! Glad that all is well now.

The same storm that hit you snuck up on me while I was working yesterday. It went from sunny to NASTY in just a few minutes.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:59:25 AM »

It must have been fun unhooking the hoses and electricity.  If you had leveled using wood blocks, you would have been floating. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »

Probably why it's nice to have a few tenters around!!!! Folks would also like my noisy Detroit airing up! Hope you quit finding such nice places John!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 11:42:08 AM »

Aw look they put up a caution wet floor cone @ the entrance to the bathroom/shower house! (how considerate!)

John, hmmm well no I won't say it............ but just be careful in the very near future. (think 1  2 .....)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
John316

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »

Bob, tell you wife thank you for the well wishes Tongue. This has been a trip. We are doing fine, but just get a kick out of everything. Actually, we have full insurance on it, and we have records of what the build cost us (as in receipts too).

Thanks, MikeH. Hopefully things go better, but who knows.

Buddy, I can't say as we "knew" the river was there. The place was named Beaver creek cg, so yes we did know. We pulled in after dark, though. Even with the rain we never thought about it. We were at least a hundred yards from the bank of the river.

Demo, I agree, any lower, and that would have been bad. We figure we could have taken another six to eight inches of water, before being totally swamped. We didn't raise the rear, and that would have given us another four inches or so. It was just coming in our bottom step on our entrance.

Lin, it was interesting unhooking. The power pole was still out of water, but our plugin to the bus was completely submerged. Was surprised that the breaker hadn't tripped on the pole. Apparently there wasn't a voltage leak. I used a crowbar to open the lid of the box, and shut the breaker off before disconnecting power. We hadn't hooked up to water or sewer.

Scott, I agree, a couple of tenters would have been nice. Also would have been nice if somebody would have told us.

Thanks for pointing that out, BK. Sure was nice of them. I know what you mean. I guess we will see what happens next, huh?

The last pic was taken from the road. We were parked next to the road, this side of the yellow building.

God bless,

John

demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »

It seams that the campground could be held responsible to some point for not letting people know about the rising water.

They sure could of saved some people alot of headache.

What kind of bus do you have John? I know on my eagle if it was coming in the bottom step the basement wouldnt be far behind.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »

Didnt anyone ever tell you, these buses are meant for "streets" they dont go thru ditches or swim very good. I know the perfect bus for you John!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:51:36 PM by happycamperbrat » Logged

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
John316

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 03:13:29 PM »

Demo, we were just getting water into the bays. It was amazing that we had a fairly tight seal, because we didn't get much in there. It was 6:30am when we were pulling out, so I imagine the CG host weren't up yet. I surprised that the other RVers that were leaving didn't have the decency to tell the others, or at least call emergency personal.

Thanks, Teresa. I like the looks of that one. Fuel mileage might be a tad low.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/onnnews/stories/2011/05/11/story_latest_flooding_denise_pm.html?sid=102

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 07:08:12 AM »

They were on the way to work, and rising tides usually follow the rain?

Sounds normal to me.

Put a check on your naivety?

Rv's also attract whole other types of folks than the ones you're used to hanging with.

Live and let live

also means

every man for himself.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: