Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 11:50:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waste Motor Oil for fuel.  (Read 14827 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2011, 05:02:36 PM »

From other worlds:

I have a lister static engine that will start and run on waste motor oil.

Ive been doing some reading on the topic recently and came across a thread on the lister engine forum where one user (who had meen running on WMO for a great number of hours, generating electical power for his home) claimed that there was incresed ring and bore damage.

He had had no isses with the injector pump, or other fuel system components, but had seen a significant buidup of white ash in the exhaust system (as it also seen, it seems, by people running wmo powered heaters)

As he did not see ware to the fuel system, but did see ware post injector, he attributed the ware to the products of combustion, and pointed his suspician at the white dust.

I dont know about any of the above myself, but it has made me a little cautious about running my static engine off wmo. (i am likly to go for waste veg oil insted)

Julian

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
dougyes

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »

gulfcoastfilters.com sells a "fuel polishing system". It might help.
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2011, 10:33:47 AM »

I can't believe more bus owners are not looking into this.
Based on cost alone if you get 100.000 miles out of bus on used engine oil that's great.
If normal cost of fuel is $1.00 per mile and you get 100.000 miles before rebuilding the engine.
Most rebuilds are $10.000 or less you saved $90.000.

That is a win in my book

Now with many using WMO as fuel we could find ways to process better and better quality of fuel.

come on guys lets work this out.

Lonnie

1976 4905
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »

I can't believe more bus owners are not looking into this.
Based on cost alone if you get 100.000 miles out of bus on used engine oil that's great.
If normal cost of fuel is $1.00 per mile and you get 100.000 miles before rebuilding the engine.
Most rebuilds are $10.000 or less you saved $90.000.

That is a win in my book

Now with many using WMO as fuel we could find ways to process better and better quality of fuel.

come on guys lets work this out.

Lonnie

Anything after that break even point is a bonus.  Those Blenders, and I am NOT vouching for them, claim 40K and still doing fine.  Their blending of RUG allows the "soot" to settle out. They filter carefully. The sulfur isn't removed by blending, as I proved, and the other contaminants associated with acid neutralization is still in there.  Then again, the level of those contaminants is a variable and D drain oil is a potent cocktail while hydraulic fluid should be comparatively clean.  To me the answer seems to be in the condition of the feed stock.  We are back to know your source as a foundation requirement.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »

Background primer for oil condition and analysis.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/what-are-insolubles.php

John

—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »

I doubt that any would be surprised to learn that this has been an issue for a long time.  This, however, did surprise me:  http://prose.eng.ua.edu/ed/pdf_file/tguide.pdf

The two states mentioned are not known to be all that Green, as far as I can remember.  And to have oil companies involved and supporting the effort is a welcome surprise.

I think that "fracking" being the center process eliminates any amateur involvement.  I note that fracking the WMO resulted in distillation of gasoline and D as products as well as greases.  I assume that they got that from the MO it self and not from contaminants  being separated.

John

—Pla
blank

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2011, 11:09:43 AM »

And to have oil companies involved and supporting the effort is a welcome surprise.

The surprise will come when they lobby congress to make DIY oil changes illegal. Follow the money, they arent in it for any other purpose than to gain an advantage.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »

Art,

No argument from me.  The trick is to make it profitable for them to use a troublesome waste.  I think the ships use it to fire boilers and industry uses tons of the stuff to fire heaters for making cement and other gargantuan processes.  We let the oil companies, the most profitable corps in the world, operate  "tax free" so why can't we incentivise WMO as fuel.  Or even recrack it to make D?

John

—Pla
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »

You all are gonna hate me for this, but I just ran 90 gallons of WMO/Tranny Fluid with 90 gal of diesel and a bottle of power service. I've run it pretty hard for 1000 miles like that. Runs great. Could die tomorrow....I guess we'll find out. I'm about to fill-er-up again in October before we head to Florida.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »

Could waste tranny fluid be added to diesel at about 1 gallon per 100 without concern?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »

Auto trans fluid is nearly as combustible as Diesel.  Can run any amount in the fuel tank-but it is red in color.  If you're stopped by the DOT and they stick the tank to find out if you're running off road fuel, they will give you a ticket. But-when they take the sample back to the lab for analysis, they will dismiss the ticket and refund the ticket price since ATF has a different composition then the red dye they use.  In my opinion-not worth it.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »

You all are gonna hate me for this, but I just ran 90 gallons of WMO/Tranny Fluid with 90 gal of diesel and a bottle of power service. I've run it pretty hard for 1000 miles like that. Runs great. Could die tomorrow....I guess we'll find out. I'm about to fill-er-up again in October before we head to Florida.

Love it!!!!!!

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2011, 03:23:20 PM »

Could waste tranny fluid be added to diesel at about 1 gallon per 100 without concern?
No problem.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »

What Wal said....both times.  He tends to stutter Kiss Grin

I am assuming you have a MUII, mechanical injection engine.  Tell me I am right.  The common rail won't tolerate that much MO in concentration and the pump will break. 

Boy would it be nice if you could open an air box and get pics of the pistons and cylinders so you could attribute any complications to the WMO blend.  You have a lot of company.  Google "Blenders waste motor oil"  and visit the blenders Yahoo Group.

Never, under any circumstance, blend WMO with WVO together or allow them to blend, even in small quantities, in your tank.  That is reaching for trouble.

I wouldn't try 50/50 blends in the winter.  That is asking for trouble and proven to fail.  Talk to the blenders as they mix that ration in the winter and also add some Regular Unleaded Gasoline (RUG).

Thanks for sharing Scott 

—Pla
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »

Good going Scotty!!! I assume you are filtering the wmo and tranny fluid and running them pass a magnet before injecting into your engine.....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: