Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 12:00:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waste Motor Oil for fuel.  (Read 15683 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »

And for those that don't read all the posts.....this applies:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bio-diesel-alternative-fuels-supplements/53347-waste-motor-oil-diesel-fuel-blend-8.html

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
"The Norm"

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2011, 07:57:47 AM »

You all are gonna hate me for this, but I just ran 90 gallons of WMO/Tranny Fluid with 90 gal of diesel and a bottle of power service. I've run it pretty hard for 1000 miles like that. Runs great. Could die tomorrow....I guess we'll find out. I'm about to fill-er-up again in October before we head to Florida.

Keep us updated!!! I for one am very interested in trying it out and applaud those that are on the forefront!!

Love your posts !!!

1989 MCI 96A3 - 8V92TA - 4spd Auto
The conversion has started.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »

Not sure how much help I'll be, but I will keep running the WMO. I filter it through a 5 micron filter. That' about it. Runs like a champ, hardly smokes. Only question I have before I destroy my engine (sounds like fun) is how can I be sure I have mechanical injection...? I do not have the black box for DDEC II on top of the engine....anything specific I can look for. DD 6v92

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »

Not sure how much help I'll be, but I will keep running the WMO. I filter it through a 5 micron filter. That' about it. Runs like a champ, hardly smokes. Only question I have before I destroy my engine (sounds like fun) is how can I be sure I have mechanical injection...? I do not have the black box for DDEC II on top of the engine....anything specific I can look for. DD 6v92

I think that is the definitive PROOF that yours is a mechanical engine.

You are one gutsy guy.  Were your engine to fail while you were traveling what would be your course of action?  Destroy is a harsh way to put it.  Actually, if this doesn't work out you will have plugged injectors, gummed rings and excessive carbon deposits.  It isn't exactly like your engine won't run at all....just that it won't move anything but itself at full throttle.  Repair is $400 per cylinder plus the other stuff needed for an in-frame rounding out to about $6K min and about the same amt for labor and lest we forget the tow bill at $3 per mile.  Now hear me on this, I don't think that will happen.  Too many are doing this without a hitch.  But they are not doing 50/50.  More like 25% as I read it and less in really cold weather.  Do not use Diesel drain WMO....ever.

As Dallas pointed out running water into the running engine will blast away the carbon that might have built up.  Lot of technique involved so I would suggest you talk to Dallas or someone just as "old".  (laugh Dallas...it was a joke).

Please understand that my approximations are not binding to anyone on planet earth that can do the work. 

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »

.     John  The sky is falling.     

Think of it this way how many miles per year do you travel.
IF  you get this working you can cover the cost of repair in just a year or two with money saved.
You must put  money saved from fuel in the bank to cover cost of repair.

In  5 years you could save enough for Huh?

Good luck I rooting for you

Lonnie

1976 4905
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2011, 09:21:32 PM »

One thing I can tell you blending guys it does play hell with the filter inside the injector body I bet I have changed his a dozen times not fun either, it is not as bad now since he went to a 1 micron secondary filter he now uses a 3 micron for a primary also.
I think his filter bill would offset his savings lol but he keeps going he has a Parker fuel polishing system on his no telling what that cost him

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2011, 07:22:31 AM »

Clifford where is the filter you were speaking of?  What engine is it on?  Please tell me I don't have one Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2011, 07:38:13 AM »

No Wayne you don't have 1 you have 6 of those little babies inside the injector lol,I haven't been around the WVO burners just the 50/50 used oil and he uses any type oil he can get even 90 w.
He never knows what he is getting from the truck oil change places and no filtering will remove all the impurities but he has been using for over 80,000 miles and his engine is starting to show results lately   
What I try to tell him is not all oil is a petroleum base stock but he is like a Timex he keeps on ticking

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2011, 12:10:57 PM »

.     John  The sky is falling.     

Think of it this way how many miles per year do you travel.
IF  you get this working you can cover the cost of repair in just a year or two with money saved.
You must put  money saved from fuel in the bank to cover cost of repair.

In  5 years you could save enough for Huh?

Good luck I rooting for you

Lonnie

Lonnie,

I must have allowed a miss conception here....my fault. To be clear on this, I am a complete FAN of using WMO for fuel.  Make no mistake, if I ran a D it would have WMO in the fuel to one concentration or another.  I offer that 50% is a bit much and base that on what the "mavericks" over on the Alt fuels sites say about it. Mine were not words of condemnation or intended to discourage but merely a caution.  Lets not have a failure turn everyone off on the practice.

WAL has posted all the financial analysis on making fuels and burning WVO.  He only has to make it XXX miles and he can consider the engine a consumable.  I think he has exceeded his most optimistic goals so the concept of "free fuel" is no longer a theory but is proven.

I still wait for people like BK, those with a serious financial motive, to post that they are using the WMO they generate as a fuel blend.  I never hear of the professionals doing this except to reclaim their engine oil for their engine.

John

—Pla
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »

john ed

I get what your saying about being cautious.  It was a good statement to always think it through.
I was just adding some humor to keep things on a lighter side.

Lonnie

1976 4905
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2011, 08:48:01 PM »

OK....Well I missed that.  Had so many bad experiences with this "flat medium"....well....don't get me started.

Thanks for the clarification.  I need all the help I can get.  And humor....I need all of that I can get, also. Grin

John Huh Tongue Shocked Roll Eyes Kiss

—Pla
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2011, 04:14:40 AM »

Update on my methods. Starting to spend some $$$ to get into this a little more smartly. Purchasing a 2 micron filter from CAT. I bought all the transfer pump hardware yesterday. Planning to run a 10 micron filter first out of the WMO drum, then to a 5, then to the 2 before going into tank. The 10 is a water block. Also, purchasing a "Water Worm" which can and will absorb 16 ounces of water per use and will drop that into my 55 gallon drum. That being said, I really would like to get my hands on antifreeze testing chemicals that can detect coolant in any oil donated. I know they exist for the home user. Sending oil samples to a lab isn't going to work for me. Too slow. Anyone have any ideas on that? I already have obtained a source for Water Indicating Paste, so that's no issue, and a local CAT dealer has the 2 micron filter.  I just need a modal to test for coolant in the oil. BTW, based on our current usage model, per year, we have the potential to save nearly $5000 per year on fuel with the coach alone. I am in the market for a Land Cruiser right now and plan to pop a 4bt or other mech injection diesel into it. If both our coach and our truck were set up to run WMO, and as long as we can get it free (right now I have sources), we're looking at a very real number of nearly $15,000 per year of fuel costs eliminated. These are real numbers. For the last 3 years in a row, we've clocked 45,000 miles on our car per year. In a truck that can obtain 18 MPG, that's $9750 in diesel fuel per year at $3.90/gal. Add in the coach fuel (this year we are scheduled to clock just around 5000 miles), and we are conservatively into the $15,000 range for annual fuel bill. I fully understand that the cost of setting up my WMO delivery system, tank heater, fuel filter changeouts, possible engine problems can and will mitigate the savings somewhat, but I'll take the risk as long as WMO is available. Anyway, all this just to ask for help obtaining coolant test chemicals for oil analysis.  Undecided

Scott & Heather
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2011, 08:45:57 AM »

JohnEd You mentioned you have a Lister that runs on WMO? I've spent the last several hours on the MicroGen forum where a huge 11 page discussion arose over using WMO in those Listers. Some pretty neat results too. I think a centrifuge is in order at some point here. The only negative by-product of burning properly filtered WMO, appears to be the ash buildup. Those Lister owners in the MicroGen forum have been running their gensets on the WMO, then tearing down the motors to see the results. White ash in every case. No one really knows what it is, but could it be Calcium? Look at this BlackStone Lab analysis of a typical oil sample taken out of a diesel trucK:

Scott & Heather
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: