Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:53:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm taking a forced break from my bus and the forum for a little while  (Read 4108 times)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 05:22:07 AM »

My dad had the L surgery about 20 years ago.  The change was miraculous.  A couple of day in the hospital and out.  And the quacks say that the procedures have improved since then.  You'll be fine, just take care of yourself.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 07:22:44 AM »

I began with the basic back aches. Took a two story fall back in '77 and compressed my spine. Two motorcycle accidents in '88 or '89 that were pretty bad. I don't recall the year... Aside from that I've had the same life as 99% of anyone else here, lifting lot's of steel, engines, working on cars and the bus.
The sciatica came in years ago beginning in the butt and then mid thigh and then several years ago one morning after working on the bus and lifting a lot of iron I woke to a numb foot. It slowly got better but came right back after any work.

Oh you would have to say all of that, lol.

I jumped off a 20 foot roof when I was 11 into what I thought was a snow bank, landed on my feet on blacktop, and fell over. Rest of your story reads like my life; iron, cars, engines, hours bent in half. I actually started getting sciatica when I was in my mid 20's. So at 52 yrs old, you can imagine what reading all this is making me feel.

Fifteen years ago I got a crick in my back that brought tears to my eyes and made me a virtual cripple until it settled down and I ended up in PT. I dont stick at it like I should, but excercize, or should I say, the "right" excercize, actually changed my life. How long I can hold out is a matter for God, but for now im doing well.

I hope its not to long till we see you posting again, and more Bus stories. Good luck.

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »

Im sending prayers for a speedy recovery so you can get on with your life and be free of pain!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »

Well, to my amazement they allowed me to leave after only an overnight stay, said I was doing very very well. Pain is pretty serious at times but the meds help me keep that manageable until I do things like sit here and type.
I noticed immediately that I regained the lost sensation in my left foot and lower leg that was missing for the past three years so already in my book it's a success although I hope for even more.
I did however lose all sensation in my left thigh while my right thigh turned hyper sensitive to all sensations. The doc said that should smooth out over time and already it's back to about 70% normal.

Thanks again for the thoughts and words.  Be back as time permits.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »

Congrats..That is good to hear..Keep up the good work...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 02:20:40 PM »

A quick update if anyone cares.

I'm now roughly 3 months post op on a bi-level back fusion (L4-S1). It's been the roughest thing that I've ever undertaken in my life! There is no way that anyone can be properly prepared for a fusion in my opinion. I'm well over 500 Percocets now which means that I'll have to take more time tapering down to get off of them, something we're going to do soon.

I'm not real sure how successful the surgery has been yet. I still have lot's of pain, some of it old and some new but I think it's somewhat better. They say I'll need to be around a year out to know for sure.

The doc says that I don't need physical therapy since I'm well ahead of what I'd be doing there. He says I need to be hobbled instead. Foolishly I was out trying to change the brakes on my car a week out of surgery. I was working on my car hauling trailer and long story short ended up in the E.R because I triggered a pain cycle that the Percocet couldn't safely handle so I had to get two injections of Dilauded to break the cycle.
I've slowed way down since then but still have been doing more and more as I feel I'm able, just can't seem to sit or walk far yet. I've even gone back to working on the bus. I made up a bunch of wires for the battery array and began building a battery rack but had to take a break, it got too much for me and I got afraid of another E.R visit. I can only work in 1-2 hour sessions of relatively light work before I'm back down needing a rest.
They let me out of my back brace except for if and when I feel the need and I no longer need a cane to stand or walk unless it's very far to walk. I still spend most of my days on my back which drives me nuts. 

I bought an early MGB MK 1 as a project for my own physical therapy with the doctors blessing. I'll work on it slowly ramping up the work load as I heal further. The doc thinks bus work may be a little too much for me and dangerous for quite a while longer so the little car will keep me busy more safely. He knows I can't just sit, 3 months of bed rest is driving me nuts!!
I'm going to also work on the bus though as I'm able, smaller things that always need doing. I'd like to get out and take out the old roof escape hatch and patch over it as soon as I can though I'm not sure when that will be. Not sure I'm ready to get up on the roof yet.

Now that I can sit a little longer I'll start lurking here a little more too.

-Dave

P.S
I seem to recall a few people having had or currently having MGB's in here. If anyone is into them and wants to chat please feel free to message me. Always good to talk about other cars as well as bus.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:28:28 PM by Paladin » Logged

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 05:27:54 PM »

Glad to hear the update Dave.  A lot of ups and downs there, but it is good that you are having days that you feel enough better that you are tempted to overdo it, and that you are progressing better than physical therapy could do.  Just be careful and do what you can to follow the doctor's orders.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »

Glad to hear things are shaping up.  My wife has a completely fused spine with a Harrington rod - unlike the horror stories hers is doing her very well.  but six months lying on your back with a fully body cast at age 16 had to be a challenge of immense proportions...

I have a 1979 MGB Limited Edition, and a 1961 MG Midget, earliest surviving LH drive Midget.  Built in the month before production officially started.  I know some about MGB's but it's been 20 years since I restored it, probably forget more than I know by know!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »

Uncle Ned has a bunch of MG's !
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 11:03:38 PM »

Dont know how much you can handle, but walking is actually one of the best things you can do for your back, much much better than bending over working on silly mechanical things.

I had an MGB-GT when I was 17, and 36 years later I want another one, though a straight roadster this time around. For all the complaints some have about them, it was actually one of the most reliable cars ive owned once I sorted out the booger work other ham fists had created. Or a Spitfire. I never had a Spitfire but they always looked fun too.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 12:55:38 AM »

Thanks for the comments everyone! Yep, increasing my walking is on the agenda and in fact began again tonight. The bears (my dogs) really need to get out too after hanging out with me while I've been down. It's also the hardest though, walking very far but very important. Just gotta go in stages and work into it.

I've owned two MG's in the past, a '76 and a '77, both were owned at the same time. It was nice to walk out in the morning and just pick which color I felt like driving that day.
My new one is a '67 MK I steel bumper, I've always wanted a steel bumper and have been wanting another 'B' for a long time now. Once you own one they just seem to get into your blood. This one is still setup from the factory for dual 6 volt battery positive ground system but I'm changing that.

For all of the whining that everyone has done over the years I've found that with proper maintenance the cars were quite reliable, mine were daily drivers and I never once got stranded anywhere though my '76 could overheat some in the summer. I'd drive anywhere and any time with total faith.
There is the crack of doom on the later 'B's and various other issues common to MG but they are really great cars. The sills are always bad so it's a given that they need to be replaced now. I never even had issues with dual carbs. I did have a bad ring gear that caused me to sell the '77 which my favorite and I've always regretted that but swore someday another MG and this time a steel bumper car.

I knew the owner of an import parts store and have heard of a few cars that just plain had bad factory wiring issues, everyone blames Lucas but I personally thought it was more of an issue at the plant and poor workmanship on some cars. Maybe common to one plant?? 90% of the rest seems to always go back to not maintaining the car properly.

I've heard and seen that Triumphs were VERY rust prone due to poor water drainage ports etc. I once heard of one literally breaking in half just behind the seats while sitting at a red light. Supposedly a guy that I knew also knew the owner but I never believed that story. I also heard that the Lucas wiring in the Triumphs were even worse than the MG's though I also doubt that. Lucas was Lucas and the car made no difference.
My biggest problems were people always getting closer to the car than I cared for. I once had a guy steal all the knobs off the stereo of my Fiat Spyder.  In my '68 Firebird 'vert I put one of those motion sensor thingies the add to the alarm system which went off and paged me if anyone reached into the car. I plan on one for the MG and might put one of them in the bus aimed at the door area. Dunno, maybe a lame idea.

The Fiat Spyders by the way were very advanced for the class of car and years made. Dual overhead cam, 5 speed (if memory serves), very adjustable seats, intermittent wipers, wood trim dash, I think mine had air conditioning too though it didn't work and I didn't need it in a 'vert and at my young age. With dual Webers mine was pretty zippy for being what it was. I just never liked the look as much as the MG.  

Anyway, I look forward to working on this new project as well as the bus - finances allowing and hope to be zipping around next season with new paint, parts etc. I may even add the aftermarket air conditioning kit someday after the bus is further along since I'll likely keep this car for a very long time this time.

Hey, maybe the 'B' would make a decent toad?? This new one came with a tow bar attached.

Photo attached is of my old '77. Dual carbs, roll bar and a non factory paint job by me (I did the '76 totally factory):

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:19:00 AM by Paladin » Logged

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 01:11:30 AM »

Mods, feel free to move this to off topic if it continues along the car thread too long.  Smiley

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 06:22:08 AM »

Had a 59 Bugeye Sprite for the wife back in the mic 80's. Then a 79 or 80 MGB, then a 81 Alfa Romao Spyder, then a 79 TR6. For the last 16 years or so i have had a 62 TR4 with a 289 and C4 out of a 67 mustang. Only get to play with it in the winter as it is now in storage in Yuma. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 06:43:11 AM »

Glad you are doing good I have dodged that for years but thought last month I might have to go forward with it but got lucky and the the chiropractor got me up and going again don't know for how long.
I looked at my age vs the surgery and the age won out lol I do my walking every morning and roll around on the dumb rubber ball so far so good 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 08:55:20 AM »

Hang in there, it will get better as time moves along!

I've had a '60 Bugeyed Sprite and a Spitfire. Both a lot of fun, but the Bugeye was my favorite. Lucas, "Prince of Darkness" was used a lot back then. Never really had to many problems, just never went out at night!  Roll Eyes

Donald Healey rode with me once and told me to get a bigger car, then winked. That was his favorite creation.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: