Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 10:16:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charging 24v with a 12v charger  (Read 876 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2011, 08:34:03 AM »

I assume that I can put my 12v battery charger on just one battery.  The question is, will that charge both batteries or do I need to switch from one to the other?
Can I leave the coach main switch on and the batteries connected while I charge with my 12v ?

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 08:36:13 AM »

connecting to one battery will not charge both of them in a 24v system.  you must charge each one idividually with a 12v charger, or both together with a 24v charger.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »

Thanks for the quick response.  That was my guess, but I don't want to screw up the batteries.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 08:57:56 AM »

I take the one cable off that goes to the pos and neg. I hook up my jumper cables like you would to your car. pos to pos neg to neg then hook my charger to one battery. works no problem.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:00:04 AM »

Oh, so you suggest that I separate the batteries?
I suppose I would have left everything connected so I could still use the power inside the coach
Let me know... before I damage something  Angry

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:02:44 AM »

what eddiepotts is saying is if you want to charge both batteries at the same time, remove the cable connecting the two batts together and use jumper cables from one to the other. if you are wanting to leave power to the bus while charging you cannot do it that way.  you would have to charge each one separately one at a time.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:06:09 AM »

YES. you have to take one side of the cable that makes it 24v. you will destroy your charger if you don't. But using the jumper cables will let you charge them both at one time. You will not be able to use 24v power while you charge. You will have 12v power if you take the correct side off. 12v comes off of one battery
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 09:08:33 AM »

I understand.... thanks

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »

I hate to rain on the parade, but you can charge two batteries in a 24V system with 2 12V chargers.
+ from one battery to the + from one charger. - from one battery to - on the other charger. the other +/- are connected together. Waa-Laa! it charges.
I learned this the easy way when we would have to jump trucks in the winter with a couple of pickup trucks.

Good Luck!

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: