Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 03:20:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any one heard of these folks?  (Read 1598 times)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »

Greetings! I need to finish up the pantry cabinets in our bus, so I need to get an apt size fridge in there to button things up. Found these folks down around Austin TX,   http://www.compactappliance.com/Apartment-Fridges/Appliances-Refrigerators-Apartment_Refrigerators,default,sc.html 
 Has any one here ever heard or dealt with them?  I figure refers don't last to long if they are not used regularly, and these 10 cu ft seem to be cheap enough to replace should that occasion arise. Any thoughts you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated Mucho. Wink on dealing with 110 appliances in a bus. Thanks all! Smiley

Van 

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:42:58 AM »

I don't know about that company but Lowes, HD and Sears all have 24" refers.  Here's one for $349.00

http://www.lowes.com/pl_TopFreezer+Refrigerators_4294789497_4294937087_?cm_cr=Refrigerators-_-Web+Activity-_-Refrigerators+TF+Popular+Categories-_-SC_Refrigerators_TopFlexible_Area-_-96112_3_Refrigerators_Pop_Cat-3

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »

I have the Whirlpool 9.7 cu ft refridgerator from lowes.  It has worked great so far and easily fit through the door as well.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »

I was going to use the Summit FFBF280W, but decided against it since there aren't any door holders, no mounting brackets to hold the refrigerator in place, no way for the food to stay in place on the shelves, and it takes only 120vac-which inverted will be 2-3 times the power of the refrigerator I chose.  Instead I'm using the NovaKool 9.1cu/ft A/C-D/C which pulls only 5amps @ 12vdc.  Granted it is about $300.00 more then the Summit, but it is made to be built in with front facing compressor and condensor, has a flange to bolt it down in front, has positive door latches, ledges on the inside shelves to keep the food in, and uses a Danfoss compressor.
With the Summit, I was going to use 3 sets (6 batteries) of the L16 AGM batteries.  Now, I'm reducing to 2 sets-less weight and money-but still 800 amp/hours.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:57:36 AM »

Len, right on about the 24" and thanks for the link. Buddydawg that is the unit I am looking for, but the stores (Lowes,HD etc) never seem to have the silver or SS look ones in stock Huh Lol! and partially my fault Grin but I never seem to have any patience when dealing with the seemingly uninformed or un-interested sales personel Angry and boy you guys know how that goes blah blah blah and so on.

Tom thanks for responding. Summit is a very nice unit. Believe you me,  I would love to be able to afford that one, but just to save a few bucks to get an economical (new unit) I had to resort to changing my own tires last week... by hand Grin WHoaZ Mee! Cry Grin

I think for the amount of usage a new refer will get, and only being on the pole and genny for juice that WP unit might be the ticket.
 I even found a few Magic chef 10 cube units on the C-list for a cool C-note, but am not a real fan of used items on CL from unknown sources.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:00:03 PM by van » Logged

boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »

Tom, I'm curious how your Novacool works out.  I was going to go that way myself 'till I did some research and it seems that their 12 volt compressors have a pretty good reputation for costing you $400-$600 for a new one every few years.  As we all know 120 volt compressor designs are so old and stable now, they rarely go poof.  That was enough to make me shy away and go the Summit/inverter route, which I'm really happy with...
Cheers
Gary

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »

Van, We bought the apartment Whirlpool fridge from Lowes December 2009. Fits through the front door just fine. I think we paid around $300 and change. The guys delivered in on Dec 24th, had about 7" of snow on the ground and even set it in the hole. What a deal! Grin

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:13:06 AM »

Thanks Paul, it looks like that is the way to go, heck I'll even get 10% off as charlie next door (works for Lowe's) is gonna order one fer us'n. thanks all! Smiley

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:49:49 AM »

I bought a 12 v Norcold in the late 80's for my travel trailer sold the trailer 10 years ago and the owner says no problem yet with the fridge and the Sun Frost my friends have 12 or 24 volt they never have problems with the fridge also we have had 12v Norcold chest freezers since the 80's and never problems with those either DC would be my way also,
 One year at Quartzsite or a FMCA rally with people running the generators 24/7 to charge their batteries up will change your mind about AC housetype fridges in a RV lol 

good luck
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:54:05 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 03:40:22 AM »

Van, give me a call if you are interested in the Summit. Might be able to get you the same deal as on the awning!!LOL
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 08:15:39 AM »

Thanks Eric! Wink

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 08:49:36 AM »

Both our Norcold 6.3cu/ft compressor refrigerator and 2.1cu/ft chest freezer are running without problem since buying them in 1994.  But then again both are the old R-12 freon that is more powerful then the now used R-134a.

Strange thing about the NovaKool-when I ordered it, it was available in either 120vac/12dc using an internal converter, or straight 12vdc.  The split voltage was cheaper, so I bought that.  I will be curious also as to the longevity of the Danfoss compressor.  But-the Danfoss compressor is also the base for many commercial and marine refrigeration systems.  I like the design of the NovaKool 9.1cu/ft since it has a bottom mounted compressor with fan that vents only at the front.  So unlike my Norcold that has a rear condenser that needs to be vented, the back of the NovaKool can be completely sealed with no vents built into the cabinetry above or below the refrigerator.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: