Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 10:28:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential Bus Found (VL100) - Inspection Tips???  (Read 4317 times)
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:13:55 AM »

We've found a Flxible VL100 that seems like it may be a great fit for our new home - it is reportedly move-in ready, but it still has plenty of projects to tackle that we can take on to make it our own.

One catch - it is in Oregon, and we are now in the midwest.

We are planning to head out to see it ASAP, but in the meantime we'd like to try and arrange  a professional inspection - particularly of the mechanicals.  If it looks good from afar, we'll head to Oregon with one-way tickets, intending to move right in.  :-)

Any tips on how to best go about arranging an inspection from afar?  What things should we have inspected, and what things found in an inspection should be viewed as big red flags?

And in particular to the Flxible VL100 - what things should we be on guard for before we commit to buying this?

We love the look and layout of the VL100, and are excited by the possibility.  *grin*

- Chris (and Cherie) // www.technomadia.com

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:48:58 AM »

Call David at Southern Oregon Diesel in Roseburg, Or. and if he won't inspect it he will most likely have a reference.  He is top drawer but he no longer does bus work, usually.

You didn't say where the bus was and I can guess why.

Good luck,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »

Rust is a problem on V100 at the front and the rear bulk head, check the torsilastic for spare adjustment if bad those are not to be had any longer and that bus being from the 50's no telling what engine is installed can you tell us what engine, parts are hard to come by but the Flx people work around that .
I am kinda making it sound like a Eagle huh  lol
Nice buses I think they are neat myself

good luck
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:28:50 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »

check the torsilastic for spare adjustment if bad those are not to be had any longer and that bus being from the 50's no telling what engine is installed can you tell us what engine

What does "spare adjustment" mean?

We've got a friend with a Flxible Clipper who was able to buy new tosilastic suspension components from Mexico - are the parts interchangeable with the VL100?

This one has a Detroit 6-71 with a 5-speed manual transmission.  That seems like a fairly common engine, right?

- Chris // www.technomadia.com

eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »

1960 VL 100 FLXIBLE Yachats, Oregon HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?
Offset roof top(s)AC......WAS LICENCED AS MOTORHOME IN 1985. POWERED BY A 6-71 DETRIOT WITH A 5 SPEED MANUAL TRANS (10+MPG) RUNS GREAT DRIVES GOOD NO POWER STEERING YET. NEW FRONT TIRES. ONAN 4000 GAS GEN. BUILT IN MICRO. NO ELECTRONICS (TV ECT.) 80GAL. FRESH WATER 120GAL BLACK/GRAY TANK (I WOULD REPLACE). THERE ARE 6 SOLAR PANELS ON TOP THAT WORK. COACH HAS 4 DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES. THE ONLY THING THAT USES 120 VOLTS IS THE REEFER (ALSO GAS) AND THE MICROWAVE. EVERYTHING ELSE IS 12 VOLT. THERE IS A BRAND NEW 9.6 REFER/FREEZER THAT IS INSTALLED AND WORKS GREAT. I HAVE PURCHASED A NEW 35000BTU HEATER, A NEW ON DEMAND HOT WATER SYSTEM FOR IT, NEW WATER PUMP AND NEW THESFORD MASERATOR RV TOILET ($1200.00) STILL IN THE BOX. THERE IS ALSO TWO NEW FRONT SEAT PEDESTALS THAT ARE SWIVELS.

I HAVE NO TIME TO WORK ON THIS COACH. YEP IT NEEDS TLC AND A PERSON WITH TIME TO PUT IN ON HER.
I ALSO HAVE A TOWDOLLY (3500LBS) NEED IT TOO? ASKING $32.500.00 OR GIVE ME A CALL AND LETS TALK ABOUT IT.

http://www.sellabus.com/index.htm
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:34:37 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »

Your friend is buying the Dina torsilastic square tubes the V100 has the rounds like a Eagle but Eagles are longer and larger in diameter but he could have gotten some from Mexico I may have it backwards on the round or square it's been a while for me

eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »

Your friend is buying the Dina torsilastic square tubes the V100 has the rounds like a Eagle but Eagles are longer and larger in diameter but he could have gotten some from Mexico I may have it backwards on the round or square it's been a while for me

Is it this one ?
http://www.creativecruiser.com/Creative_Cruiser/Home.html

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »

Maybe (have you noticed this one):
This 1956 FLXIBLE VL100 is ready to travel full-time.  She loves to dry camp. She needs painting, or not, but she is ready to GO!
6V92 Detroit Diesel engine, 350 hp - 17,000 miles. NEW Allison HT 740 transmission, Jake brakes
Power steering, NEW Radiator hydraulic pump,Polished Alcoa wheels, Michelin tires in good condition-80% tread-2007. Backup monitoring system, NEW turn signals, Electric windshield wipers,
Has Air entrance step

Wired for 30 amp service, 3-12V batteries, 4-6V Trojan house batteries,Onan 6.5 Genset-1,125 hrs
3 Solar panels, Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost, Blue Sky Energy Network Charge Controller and Battery System Monitor, Outback Power Systems inverter-2800 watt-Sine wave.  
Diesel fuel tank-120 gal.
Gas fuel tank-20 gal.
2 Propane tanks (1 removable)
Fresh water tank-80 gal.
Grey/black water tank-100 gal.

Driver chair-Flexsteel-electric w/air ride
Co-pilot chair-Flexsteel-electric recliner
Sofa bed-Flexsteel-queen
Dinette table lowers into sleep area

Comes with 2 Flat screen TVs, Kenwood AM/FM cassette player, Kenwood CD, (CD changer) DVD, VHS players, Sound system throughout

Hardwood floors, Day/night pleated shades, Gas heater-vent free (fireplace w/faux logs)
2 Fantastic vent fans (1 w/auto rain detector), 1 Roof top air conditioner/heater
Screened windows, NEW awning.  Magic Chef range/stove, Norcold refrigerator
Panasonic microwave oven, Roll out pantry, Corian counter w/molded sink, Corian dinette table top.

Ceramic tile shower stall, Thetford toilet bowl-porcelain Corian counter w/molded sink,
Hanging clothes closet w/drawer beneath, Queen bed-walk around-storage beneath
Cabinets over bed/sides-Corian table tops, 5-drawer vanity w/large mirror, Dirty clothes hamper

Price 35,000. Contact Margie at 562-716-1575, email valhallad1@yahoo.com,
Located in Victorvill, CA

http://www.sellabus.com/index.htm

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:30:35 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:40:34 PM »

OH! GOOD LUCK,THE HUNT IS HALF THE FUN !!!  Wink Smiley Cheesy Lips Sealed

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 07:58:38 PM »

That's a lot of money for a VL100. I feel that would be a premium even for one that needs nothing and has a nice diesel genny. 671 will be on the low power side for a bus that weighs that much. Not trying to rain on anything here, just wanting to keep it real. I will say there is nothing like owning a bus that would give one an education quicker on what to look for, by then it's a little late. You are doing good by doing your homework like you have been. Keep us posted and good luck!

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »

Clifford,
You are correct about the Dina's being square! I have been under ours lately and was looking at them.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:44:41 AM »

Hi all.. thanks for the tips.   We had been recommended to Southern Oregon Diesel before, so good to hear that reconfirmed as a go-to place. We'll be calling them this morning to see what is possible for an inspection either before we head out, or when we get there.  

Yes, the VL100 we're investigating right now is the one in Yachats, OR.. and, as seems common in most listings we're following up on - the price we've offered the bus at is substantially different than the listed asking price. We clearly know this is not a $30k bus, and we wouldn't be remotely interested if that was a firm price.  It does have several projects in the works, but nothing that would make it immediately not able to be lived in.  In theory anyway, we like the idea of having a solid bus that we can then concentrate on making ours.

The question of course is.. figuring out if this is a solid bus to work from.

In talking with the owner last night, he of course says it is.  He's up to date on maintenance (just had an oil change, fluids all topped off, brakes inspected, new springs in front brakes, front wheels resealed professionally).

What did stand out for us was when he told us about how the bus came to be his.  The PO was the one who did the conversion back in the 80s and was a friend of his. When the current owner bought it, the bus had been sitting for about a decade.  It started right up and he immediately had all belts and seals replaced and anything else he felt would be risky after such a long still time (at a cost of $1000).  This was 3 years ago, and in that time he's only driven it 3000 miles over several ~500 mile trips.   Not a lot of shake out after such a stationary time, in our mind.

Apparently the motor was rebuilt 65,000 miles ago, and the overall mileage on the bus since the conversion in 1985 is 104k.  An interesting side note, this was the last VL 100 built in the USA in late 1959.

Anyway...  are we off base being concerned about the relative low mileage on the bus since the current owner picked it up 3 years ago?  He says it runs smoothly, burns no oil and doesn't smoke even on a cold start.   One thing for sure we know we'd need to do ASAP is replace those rear tires - as he's replaced the front ones bout 1500 miles ago, but not the rear. Which means they're at least 10+ years old. Regardless of tread, they're old and unsafe.

We'll of course get it inspected regardless if we proceed.. but we're wondering if it is enough of a red flag that there might be lurking problems that just haven't been uncovered because of low usage, and thus not worth the risk of investing in a cross country trip (and/or inspection) to go see it in person?  (We're well aware that all of these older buses *will* have problems at some point.)

Thanks,
 - Cherie (and Chris)

PS. Yes, we have followed up on the Victorville, CA listing as well.. and that sweet sounding bus has been sold.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:49:26 AM by technomadia » Logged

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 06:59:20 AM »

If you going to Southern Oregon to let David check the engine you are wasting time and money he hasn't had a good 2 stroke guy since Dwayne left 5 years ago IMO

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 07:02:38 AM »

If you going to Southern Oregon to let David check the engine you are wasting time and money he hasn't had a good 2 stroke guy since Dwayne left 5 years ago IMO

Thanks.. this is the sort of info us newbies just don't have.

Any recommendations for alternatives?

- Cherie

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 07:17:11 AM »

Hillsboro Diesel in the Portland area is the best in Oregon for 2 strokes 

good luck

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: