Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 04:33:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laundry Considerations  (Read 3267 times)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 03:55:27 AM »

We have a whirlpool 110v stacking washer and dryer. Front load...nice. spins super fast...enough to shake the coach a little on it's highest setting. Clothes come out "feeling dry" and take 30-40 minutes to complete drying in dryer...dryer is also 110. We love them. They can take a great amount of clothes..enough that we only do laundry once a week or less. It's great. Here's a photo:

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 04:07:58 AM »

My, Wife uses our washer drier combo, to  store canned goods, seems to work good for that.
Matt

Battle Mountain,NV  Molson,Wa  Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 06:04:41 AM »

There are many scaled down washers and dryers and a few washer/dryer combos available.  The advantage to the Splendide is that it is made for a moving vehicle.  The suspension system on it is stiffer then a house hold type so it won't beat itself up while driving.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 06:09:40 AM »

These new Splendide combos with a electric drying elements do a good job the old ones that dried with moisture were a joke but my wife loved the thing she won't do the public laundry's

good luck 

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 06:11:01 AM »

Scotty; We have same set. Haven't used yet,so is good to know they will preform well. Was wandering what to use/do with top storage area on dryer.   Bob&Judy

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 06:59:47 AM »

we have a splendide that we use when parked with hookups.  We have 100 gal fresh and grey, but usually we are only on the road for less than a week, so not a big deal to wait for hookups.  if we have tons of clothes to do, we do find a "nice" and clean laundramat.  most of the time when we are parked for a while, having our own allows fran to get the clothes going while still doing other stuff at home. 
we do hang things up to avoid wrinkles and help dry them, but if you keep the vent cleaned out, it dries quicker.

we need the bay space, so loading a bigger washer/dryer in a bay requiring outside access, wouldn't work for us, plus the other reasons already mentioned.  i don't think fran would want to be without the washer dryer, yep, just confirmed that.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 07:15:52 AM »

Only bad thing about the house type on the drier you need to carry a spare element after they been used for awhile the vibration of traveling will cause the element to break in did on ours in another bus

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 08:39:16 AM »

Scotty; We have same set. Haven't used yet,so is good to know they will preform well. Was wandering what to use/do with top storage area on dryer.   Bob&Judy

We're planning on inserting a doored cabinet of some sort up there. For us, the key to the coach looking tidy, is to hide everything in cabinetry  Smiley Bob, if you ever have problems with your washer, let me know. It has some quirks that can usually easily be fixed. BTW, these units were pulled out of a class A RV unused. So they must be coach-ready. And with proper air-bag and tire inflation, honestly how much rough treatment does your stuff get? Our coach doesn't ride as smooth as some and we're running 100 psi all the way around, but stuff stays put on my table...

Scott & Heather
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »

After 5+ years of full timing, not once have we wished for our own washer/dryer.   So many of our friends who bought coaches with them built in have ripped them out for more efficient storage space.

Personally, taking our laundry to a laundromat is so much easier. In about an hour we can get everything washed and dried.. and it only costs a few bucks.  Our time is more valuable than babysitting our laundry the entire day it takes to 'wash at home' (or constantly doing laundry every day or so to keep up).  And we're reminded of this every time we set out to do laundry at a friend's house with just how long it takes to get it all done.

Yes, some laundromats are scary. But there are some really nice ones out there... some even serve beer.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 02:57:19 PM »

After 5+ years of full timing, not once have we wished for our own washer/dryer.   So many of our friends who bought coaches with them built in have ripped them out for more efficient storage space.

Personally, taking our laundry to a laundromat is so much easier. In about an hour we can get everything washed and dried.. and it only costs a few bucks.  Our time is more valuable than babysitting our laundry the entire day it takes to 'wash at home' (or constantly doing laundry every day or so to keep up).  And we're reminded of this every time we set out to do laundry at a friend's house with just how long it takes to get it all done.

Yes, some laundromats are scary. But there are some really nice ones out there... some even serve beer.

- Cherie

I totally understand what you're saying...laundromats are a super quick way to do it. But for us, our units are big enough for once a week laundry (if that) and we can sit inside our cozy coach and eat, work, watch t.v. and sip a nice cold lemonade while our laundry is being done. All in our pajamas. We love it. Of course, again, we do one load once a week or once every week and a half. So for us, it's no biggie. And our washer spins everything dry enough so that we can leave the coach and come back and transfer the wash to the dryer when we get back. And it only takes an hour and a half for us to wash and dry. 45 minute wash cycle, 45 min dry cycle.  I wouldn't trade them for anything. Just our way  Wink
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:00:23 PM by Scotty » Logged

Scott & Heather
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »

First bus was outside laundry. Second bus has a stacked pair with propane for the dryer. SHE doesn't have to spend 1-2 hours  doing laundry., carrying the heavy bags/bundles to and from the car. Her back likes her a lot more. We laugh about having to do the laundry. Such a hard job - hamper to washer to drier to put away. Anyway  washer and drier for us.
BTW the gas drier consumes less than a 1 gallon of propane per month.  Which is much less than I had expected for usage.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 05:19:13 AM »

First bus was outside laundry. Second bus has a stacked pair with propane for the dryer. SHE doesn't have to spend 1-2 hours  doing laundry., carrying the heavy bags/bundles to and from the car. Her back likes her a lot more. We laugh about having to do the laundry. Such a hard job - hamper to washer to drier to put away. Anyway  washer and drier for us. BTW the gas drier consumes less than a 1 gallon of propane per month.  Which is much less than I had expected for usage.

Wow, is this typical usage for a gas dryer sized for our coach? Which model do you have Bill. Do share. And how much laundry do you do? Once a week? I would be interested since while using our dryer for 45 minutes, we have watch out other usage too if we're on 30amp. Might be good info for the individuals here considering what type of washer/dryer.

Scotty

Scott & Heather
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 05:03:11 PM »

Fridedare - not sure of model. We do 2-3 loads per week. 3 if I'm doing heavy work on the bus. 2 normally. It has became a standing joke about how hard it is to do the laundry.

I thought long and hard about an electric dryer. 120VAC takes a long time to dry. 240VAC would have been a pain to wire with inverter selection.  All incoming power flows through the inverter to the electrical panel. So I would have to install a main breaker panel and one breaker to supply the dryer. Or go gas. Salesman told me the gas usage was low. And he was correct.

Propane usage:  Filled both bottles in mid February. Used all the way through the end of May and refilled 4.5 gallons. That includes cooking usage on the stovetop. Since we mostly eat in that's cooking at least two meals per day.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 01:09:23 AM »

Fridedare - not sure of model. We do 2-3 loads per week. 3 if I'm doing heavy work on the bus. 2 normally. It has became a standing joke about how hard it is to do the laundry.

I thought long and hard about an electric dryer. 120VAC takes a long time to dry. 240VAC would have been a pain to wire with inverter selection.  All incoming power flows through the inverter to the electrical panel. So I would have to install a main breaker panel and one breaker to supply the dryer. Or go gas. Salesman told me the gas usage was low. And he was correct.

Propane usage:  Filled both bottles in mid February. Used all the way through the end of May and refilled 4.5 gallons. That includes cooking usage on the stovetop. Since we mostly eat in that's cooking at least two meals per day.

Bill

Bill

That is a great post.  I tell everyone that will listen that propane is the way to go.  And another post here mentioned that there is more than onr model of washer/dryer and they "spin" at much different speeds.  That spec leaves the clothes so much dryer that they are almost dry coming out of the washer.   That isn't in reference to your stacked version but even those should list their spin speeds.  When I use the laundromat now, for whatever reason, last time was to wash the seat covers, I always use the centrifuge.  Half the dry time, easily.

You mentioned your gas consumption but I didn't see the H water hearter or heating in your list of appliances.  Omission?

Thanks

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: