Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 31, 2014, 01:26:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roadside assistance  (Read 3265 times)
busenthusiast

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »

I've already searched the forum and done some additional research and I'm looking for more opinions.

Currently, I've got roadside assitance with Progressive for $44/year. This includes, providing I'm within 100' of a road or highway, towing to the nearest repair facility.

Coach-net's website, which is oddly lacking in more details of their services, states "unlimited" towing to, what I assume means, the nearest repair facilty. They also offer a bevy of other useful "unlimited" services that would come in handy also, all this for $110/year....

AAA Premier, will tow the coach for 200 miles, once in a membership year, and 100 miles for each subsequent tow after that with no mention of a repair facility which I assume means that if I wanted it towed home, they would do so. They also include some extra features like those mentioned above with Coach-net, all for $148/year...

I've not done any additional research on Good Sam Club due to some responses with respect to SPAM generation for membership with them. This alone leaves a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended).

I presently do all the maintenance work on my coach so I have no experience with using a "repair facilty", but this leads me to ask "Exactly what is a repair facilty for a older GM coach?". Would it be the nearest large truck repair facility? If I plan to continue to do my own repair work in the future, is there any benefit of Coach-net over AAA?
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »

I suspect if you read the fine print for both services that they only tow to the nearest qualified repair facility.  Coach-Net provides a booklet with the exact terms and conditions when you sign up.  They would probably send you an electronic copy if you asked.

Probably the only way you'll get a tow home is if you are fairly close to home.  They certainly won't tow you 100s or 1000s of miles home at no charge.  I have heard stories of generous tow operators towing a vehicle to another repair facility or to someone's home, but that is up to the operator.

One time Coach-Net supposedly towed a motorhome all the way from Alaska to the lower 48 at no charge for someone.  I've heard the story multiple times, but have never heard why it was done.  I don't know if Coach-Net did it for the positive publicity or what.  There was likely a qualified repair facility somewhere along the way.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
busenthusiast

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:54:03 AM »

Guess I forgot to mention that I don't presently plan to travel more that 250 miles from home. Obviously doesn't make a difference if there's a repair facility closer. Thanks for the input...
opus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:32:39 AM »

Coach net is my suggestion for you.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:43:12 AM »

Both Coachnet and AAA will tow you home if you choose I had both and it was never a problem in fact I have a 4905 here now the guy had it towed home and went right by my place on the way to Parker then he had AAA bring it here back from Parker FWIW I have Coachnet I switched when AAA decided a few years ago a lock out was a tow I see that didn't last long
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:24:29 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
busenthusiast

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:22:06 AM »

I've got an email into Coach-net to find out some more details about their towing service. If they'll tow it home if something goes wrong (considering I'm within a reasonable distance) then they'll probably earn my business. Funny thing is that I'm currently a customer of AAA's as a Plus member, but I'll definitely be canceling that if Coach-net is in my future.....with their coverage of all vehicles it seems like a no brainer.
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:45:59 AM »

Both Coachnet and AAA will tow you home if you choose I had both and it was never a problem in fact I have a 4905 here now the guy had it towed home and went right by my place on the way to Parker then he had AAA bring it here back from Parker FWIW I have Coachnet I switched when AAA decided a few years ago a lock out was a tow I see that didn't last long

What does the AAA package cost that will tow a coach home?

I currently have allstate but it only covers $100 worht of a tow on any vehicle I am in.

It sounds like I will be making a switch.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »

Eric a 100 dollar tow the drivers of the big rigs would not get out of the truck for a 100 bucks the average tow on a bus is 800 bucks and that is around the block you better call Coachnet lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
busenthusiast

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 11:58:26 AM »

AAA Premier, according to their website, costs $148/year less $10 @ renewal. Take a look here for details....keep in mind too that fees will most likely vary with your location in the US...
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 12:12:47 PM »

One thing mentioned on other RV forums is that AAA is not national.  Each region has a seperate AAA club and there is a national association they all belong to.

Not all of the AAA regional clubs offer RV coverage from what I have read.  If you are in another region and break down that club might have problems getting you help for your RV.  Automotive coverage is not an issue as all clubs cover autos.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »

Eric a 100 dollar tow the drivers of the big rigs would not get out of the truck for a 100 bucks the average tow on a bus is 800 bucks and that is around the block you better call Coachnet lol

good luck

I got that plan before I owned the bus. It was mainly for my wife incase she broke down.  I know its nothing for a bus but I would like to get a plan that covers the bus better.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »

I only carried Emergency Road Service ryder on my State Farm policy about $8 a year.

Not for everyone, no 800 number, no trip tics, no free maps. Never used it.

HTH JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »

Clifford is right, they won't even get out of the wrecker for $100.00.  I was towed in 2007, it was $350 straight up to just hook it up, $3.50 a mile to the repair facility (75 miles) and incidentals for drive-line removal and what-knot.  Altogether, when it was all said and done, close to $800.00 and it aint even been worked on yet ($1200 more).

Doesn't take long to eat up a yearly premium at those rates.

BCO

stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »

Try this for the details on Coach-Net:

https://nmca.com/Libraries/CN_Benefit-Guides/Gold.sflb.ashx

Steve
busenthusiast

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »

Thanks for the PDF Steve. Answers a lot of questions.

Does anyone else have experience with having a Coach-net tow company provide towing to one's home?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: