Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 10:38:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foam spray  (Read 1250 times)
Busnut83

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:49:14 PM »

Opinion on sealing around mc-9 radiators with the foam from home depot?Huh

Thanks
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:43:38 PM »

Don't do it.

The foam breaks down rapidly under exposure and becomes brittle.

Since I don't have a "9" I cant comment on what they have in there, but you can find a suitable replacement seal online.

Cliff
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:13:10 AM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:38:41 PM »

MC9's have rubber strips that are mounted on aluminum panels. These are either attached to the radiator frame or up top uses several screws to hold the metal strip in place. It is a royal pain to replace or even repair. I am still working on that idea myself.

However, Keep in mind also that the MC9 radiators "Float" on rubber bumpers at the bottom, A Spring tension bar holds
the radiator down from the top. They must be able to move or vibrate. I tried the foam and it is now costing me a pair
of radiator cores. The foam pushed sideways on one of the radiators and caused an already weak set of tubes to rupture.

I am definately not going to "foam" anything like that again... Undecided

I am making new rubber strips to seal them up when I get them changed..... Cry

I thought I was smart and only used "Minimally Expanding Foam", Yeah Right...... Roll Eyes

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:52:10 AM »

Thanks !!!!! again this is why this board is so great??//  Helps us stop making the same D___b mistakes !!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: