Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 02:49:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at Silver Eagle and need advice while here! tonight if possible.  (Read 1334 times)
Chariotdriver

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:11:55 PM »

I'm up in the Boston area looking at a 1974 Silver Eagle and need some input about purchasing it.
 It has some things that need to be replaced and I need to see how complicated of a job this will be, and also if the
price is in the right area.
 Please let me know if I can call you on my dime while in the hotel trying to make a decision.
 There are some pieces that have been replaced on the drivers side behind the tag axle that need to be replaced on the passenge side and want to talk it over.  Also the engine is descibed as a 8v92 but the wate pump pulley says 71 on it, when I talked to the previous owner he said that it is a 8v92 silver edition with 130,00 miles on it.
 my cell is 228-342-0687
Regards,
 Phil

Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:52:24 PM »

Phil,

While I can't help you with the Eagle, you are doing the right thing by asking questions BEFORE you buy. It sounds like you don't really know what you're looking at. This is understandable.

That bus is not going anyplace soon, so don't rush this. If you can't find the info you need walk away, preferably with photos, and then find some knowledge. If you figure out in a week or two or three what it is, and decide it's the right one, it will more than likely still be there.  One of most difficult things you can do is not walk away when you should because you're thinking you might miss the deal, and the fact is, the deal will usually be there for you, and you might save yourself tons of headaches down the road.

Take your time.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 05:59:03 PM »

Craig, I just stuck my nose in this one only because I felt a measure of anxiety on Phils' part after I called him and spoke with him.

Since this is the Brotherhood of the Bus, I felt confident in referring him to Gary Labombard, of "Rustless Money Pit" fame.  I called Dallas and got Gary's number, spoke with him and called Phil back.  At this time I'd imagine they're comparing notes on Phils's dream.

Ain't it great when it works?

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 07:10:13 PM »

I just got done talking to Phil about the Eagle he is interested in and nearly everything I told him Gumpy did also.  He was able to go to my web site  (http://community.webshots.com/user/converter101) and see album #18 for himself which is a condensed version of my CD but good information for areas to look at when purchasing a bus which I wish with all my might I had the knowledge of when I bought that I have now.  But I am helping others out so some good comes out of some bad when I think of it.  I hope Phil makes the right decision, hires a professional inspectiion from a heavy duty trucking firm some place near the bus location.  He is not real versed, (Like me 4 years ago) in inspecting this bus when his heart is just jumping out of his chest with all the pretty stuff etc. and probably some of the BS he was given. 

This board can help such as times as this and if we all share the knowledge that was not available about 6 years ago even we can prevent others from serious set backs and provide them with the right tools and information to make good purchase decisions as expensive as these girls are to maintain. 

Thanks NCBOB for recommending me to him, I hope he did not use the motel phone, we talked nearly an hour!!  Still cheaper than making a serious mistake without a proper inspection before a purchase.  Thanks to MAK for the opportunity to help phil out.
Gary

Gary
Chariotdriver

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 07:17:09 PM »

Thanks Gary and also NCBob and Gumpy too!
 I REALLY appreciate the straightforward info from you all.
 A wealth of info, if I will apply it.
 I may go back and look into it deeper to make sure that I'm not messing up by walking away, but will more than likely will, especially after talking to Gary on the phone.
 Will let you know,..
Anyone have a deal on a Bus finished in New England before I fly back?
How about that guy that was bunt out?
 Phil

Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 07:23:21 PM »

Try Spike Michaud in Brentwood, NH.  Michaud Bus Sales.  I bought my MC9 from him.  Where did you fly from?  The Northeast isn't exactly the best place to find a rust free bus.  They salt like theres no tomorrow.  The only reason I bought mine there is because I lived there and didn't want to spend thousands driving a potentially questionably bus half way across the country.

Ross
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 07:36:57 PM »

Phill, happy to hear that you've made some good connections in our BusNuts community.  We certainly wish you the best in you quest for your dream...but remember the caveats...sellers want to build your enthusiasim for the sale...and you have to live with the downside for a long time to come.

Take your time...consider all the pitfalls...your money in your pocket will last a lot longer with the right decision...

Best in your quest for the perfect bus for you.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 05:45:45 AM »

Phil, another vote for calling Spike and Jim Michaud (1-877-MICHAUD).  I bought the 4107 from them, they want way, way, above and beyond in making sure the coach would make it to New Brunswick and then Dallas.  Arranged for starter rebuild, driveshaft work, found replacement radiator fan in North Carolina and had it shipped in and installed, and even ferried it to Maine to have roof A/C installed for me.

They have contact with a mechanic a few miles away from their shop (Mike Dwyer), who has several decades in the bus business - his shop did most of the mechanical work on the 4107 - and I was very pleased. 

You also get a chance to see Jim's model bus collection - worth the trip.

Brentwood is about 20 miles east of Manchester NH, on Rt 125 south of the intersection with Rt 101.

Arthur Gaudet   Carrollton, TX   

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 09:31:51 AM »

Phil,
It was great talking to you and giving you a crash course in saving yourself pain & Money.  I like the idea that Ross & Runcutter gave you about contacting Spike & Jim MIchaud.  Getting feed back from more than one person on a recommendation is much stronger in deciding to contact these guys if they give such good service as Runcutter stated.  This is the way to find a good bus, contact us on this board, and get particulars in personal emails from them also, the little time you have been a bus nut you have received more information and advice than you can put a $$ value on.  I wish I had that opportunity starting out like you, ("DO NOT SHOP OR DECIDE WITH YOUR "HEART"), Promise me!!

Good luck, continue to gather info, if you lose what you think is a good deal, I will say you were lucky.  There is a lot of busnuts out there that will have a great time helping you find the bus that is done so that you do not have to do a lot of work such as I and many like me and they will be safe, and reasonable in price.  Word of mouth here on MAK can go a long way. 

Good luck again, call or contact me anytime.  Remember the name of my bus, ("The Rustless Money Pit"), it is not named that just for any reason and you have learned much from it.

Gary   
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 12:40:08 PM by Gary LaBombard » Logged

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: