Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 12:51:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is the master of knowing what kind of hinges to use?  (Read 1138 times)
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:22:10 PM »

I'm getting ready to install my piano hinges on my engine doors all four of those and my service doors also.   My problem is I don't want the stainless piano hinges to be visible from the out side, is there a way to conceal piano hinge and allow the doors to operate normally! I've seen a few buses where their service door hinge was total exposed.......and sticking out past the door and body, I just don't want that, I've worked to hard to have a hinge protruding!...........Thanks!          Pat

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 08:24:51 PM »

Is there a reason why they won't work with the hinges on the inside?
You may see the hinge in the crack but not protuding. and you may not be able to open the door as far.  you can also play with spacers and offsets

Try one and post a picture. 

What about the cabinet type,  alittle more complicted but use a higher quantity for the heavier door and make sure tha won't corrode.

good luck and show us what you did

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 08:29:03 PM »

Pat,

How about putting the hinges under the skin on the door and body?

Then just drill the through the existing rivet panel mount holes to hold the hinge in.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 03:11:49 AM »

If you don't want hinges to show, why not redesign your doors to open with twin arm pantograph style.  Then instead of normal swinging up, they would stay vertical moving up in a slight arc.  Looks cool when open.  I on the other hand, used shiny polished hinges on my back engine door. Instead of trying to hide them, I accented them.  Just my way.   Good LUck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 05:08:19 PM »

Pat. get on Austin Hardware's website and look at all the hinges they have. I looked for a long time and decided that they would show, so I modified 3 SS hinges for my entrance door.

It would be hard to do piano hinges the wauy I did mine.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 05:16:14 PM »

I can understand why any of us would like to get rid of the old rubber hinges in favor of S/S..but please, guys..if any of you don't know what to do with the old aluminum extrusions and they're in good shape...please contact me...I need some..desperately and will pay reasonable costs + shipping.  MCI is a killer on these!

Thanks,

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: