Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 10:13:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the 145 AC Delco alt any good?...Ie why go Leece Neville if the AC is local  (Read 1305 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:44:10 PM »

Local Alt shop pointed me towards a $165 reman  145 Amp AC Delco.  Forgot to write the part # down.  Everything I read here is Leece Neville, I have had good luck with AC alts for cars and the 145 is a fairly small package (which helps as I am stuffing it in behind the compressor, above the shift linkages and against the firewall/fire-ceiling (4104 with aux pulley drive).  So unless someone has a good reason not to.....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:46:03 PM by zubzub » Logged

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »

Run what you brung?

Go for it.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »

I'm guessing that Zubzub's being directed towards a CS-144 auto/light-truck alternator?

If so, the 144 is  not in the same league as heavy duty alternators that perform very well at low speeds, but would be adequate for lighter loads. Considering the '04's cramped mounting quarters, a car-type alternator, like the CS-144,  probably makes the most sense for this swap.

My thoughts:
Pro - The CS-144 is light, compact, reliable. A variety of mount configurations are available. A replacement will be as close as the nearest auto parts store.

Con - At idle, I would think that performance will be well below max rating. Heat may be an issue if pushed to limits. Finding a good pulley match to achieve ideal alternator speed may be difficult. Grounded alternator frame will require change to neg ground chassis.

Ted
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:18:41 PM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially 04 or 06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:15:07 AM »

I would suggest you look at your big rig dealership parts counter.  I know that new alternators are only in the $200 range.  I would much prefer a new over rebuilt.  Delco and Leece Neville are the two main alternator manufacturers. Delco makes brushless alternators that are really quite good.  If you need a 12vdc, the 40SI is available up to 300amps and weighs 31lbs.  If you need 24vdc, the 55SI is availabe up 275amps and weighs 43.2lbs.  As compared to the monster 50DN that weighs 100lbs.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 08:29:58 AM »

My encouragement was based on the assumption that zubzub only has to power a system that is basically the same as a car. Lights, charge the start battery and a defroster fan once in a while.

And some of us have smaller alternators in our cars than 145 amps.

Ease of install with one hand, into a small space up and behind, at a price point.

Duty cycle in the coach conversion is likely much lower than a daily driver.

However, usually I am a big fan of running a heavy alternator lightly, when it can be installed and at the busnut's desired price point.

Many decisions to make.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:33:23 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.  I should really have noted the alt # when I was there.  FWIW it was a alt and starter rebuild outfit, they do trucks and industrial stuff mostly, had huge starters in the window which is why I went in.  The alt I saw was sized about halfway between a car and a big bus alt.  Early days yet, I need to make some measurements to see how much space I have.   Pretty cool that a brand new truck alt can be had for $200 though...sometimes the cost of truck parts surprises me.  Most of the car alts can't be had new for that kind of money, and they have half the amps.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: