Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 01:11:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions needed, which of these two bus's should we get?  (Read 4356 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »

Classifieds in the BCM magazine.

Classifieds over at BNO - http://www.busnut.com/classifieds/

The commercial coach re-sellers, others will chime in with their favorites.

In many instances, there is a big difference between asking prices and selling prices.

The market is depressed, whole coaches are going for a fraction of the conversion parts value in them.

You'd like to shop for a coach from someone who knows what they are doing, or does it all the time.

Frankly, those two, ebay and craigs, are some of the last places I'd start to look. Generally the wrong place for good ones, wrong place for the right sellers, right place for the folks who knew nothing and got saddled with something they need rid of.

Get on the calendar and attend a bus rally near you  and meet some busnuts and tour some coaches. Lots of the good ones get sold word of mouth when friends can't enjoy them anymore.

And, you'll meet friends who might be able to help you pick a good one out.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »

Check out www.busesonline.com they have some 1994 MCI 12's asking 12,000 bet 8 will buy one

Life is short drink the good wine first
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 10:26:53 AM »

Those things are MC9s that were kept in production for Greyhound.  They are generally in very poor condition.
A few were converted to 50 series.  Most have 6V92TAs...and a few are often listed in error as having 4 strokes.
Whatever coach you settle on, look it over with a critical eye.  

Here's a possibility. Looks like it's in Jack C's neighborhood.
http://www.busesonline.com/view-listing.cfm?listing_id=505
JR
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:31:37 AM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 10:41:24 AM »

The 12's were not just for Greyhound,the bus in FL looks to be a keeper 102 wide and a Cummins 4 stroke

Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »

There is a nice one on MCIbusTalk that look good.  If I were still looking I would strongly consider this one.   Asking $7500, could be bought for less.

http://mcibustalk.com/bbs/index.php?topic=27.0

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »

Where are you from? general location. I'm from sw Indiana and know of some in my area. Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
topfrog007

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »

I really appreciate all the help so far.

We're looking to buy one now and work on it for a year or two. Don't have a lot of capital, but have a steady job to constantly sink money into this project =)

Live in Alabama, but would travel nearly anywhere COUS for the right bus.

How can you trust that any specific bus has been maintained or not? Records? These things don't have odometers so it's hard to tell how much abuse they've seen right?

Preston - Dothan Alabama - 1986 MCI 102A3
blank

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »

How can you trust that any specific bus has been maintained or not? Records?

Honestly, you cant. Which is why they have to be checked out, either by you (if you feel qualified) or a qualified mechanic. They are no different than buying a car. Mileage can be altered, records can be forged, and in the end, how it was driven has as much to do with it as anything. A brand new motor, clutch or transmission can be greatly abused in the hands of a knucklehead, and with only a few hundred miles be worse than a motor with 50K.

Condition, condition, condition. If everything is clean and functioning, no major rust, if you see lots of new parts, if its not leaking anything, and it drives well, your on the right path.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »

Just keep this in mind 99% of these old buses were used in revenue service they were sold off because of age ,wore out and the maintenance cost was to expensive to keep the unit on the road.
Nothing has changed except parts cost about 10 times more now since they left revenue service you will be kidding yourself thinking I'll only drive it 5000 miles a year so it shouldn't cost that much to maintain 

good luck

topfrog007

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »

We just got done looking at a 1982 MCI-9 that was for sale locally. The guy bought it from a church that purchased it directly from greyhound. When they purchased it from Greyhound they overhauled the engine and had a hubometer put on. Since the rebuild it has 53K miles on it. It's a partial rebuild with most of the interior framing done, and all electrical done. Tires are very good condition, not retreads. It does need to be repainted as the paint is peeling in some spots. Comes with a 6.5KW generator and 2 new rooftop AC's. Owner also mentioned he has all the materials for the conversion besides shower/sink/toilet and he will throw everything in as part of the sale.

It's the 6V71 with turbo and 4 speed automatic transmission. Not sure about the engine, thought the 6V's didn't come with Turbo's, only the 8V's.
Hour meter reads 15,000 hours.

He was asking 10,000 but after talking a while and me saying I couldn't afford it he said he would go to 7K.

Thoughts?

Preston - Dothan Alabama - 1986 MCI 102A3
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »

It won't be a 6v71 it will be a 6v92TA or a 8v71 those are the engines for 1982 MCI 9 makes it bad when a seller has no idea what he is selling

roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »

Let me say this about any coach that a church has owned. Cry
If a church has one for sale weather it be a MCI,Prevost Eagle or a GMC run the other way "FAST".
Very little to no maintenance and normaly they are just a real pile of junk so look else where.
I know I speak from experance with a old PD4104 that I bought from a church many years ago it was a maintenance project and a real money pit. Grin
jlv
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »

Let me say this about any coach that a church has owned. Cry
If a church has one for sale weather it be a MCI,Prevost Eagle or a GMC run the other way "FAST".
Very little to no maintenance and normaly they are just a real pile of junk so look else where.
I know I speak from experance with a old PD4104 that I bought from a church many years ago it was a maintenance project and a real money pit. Grin
jlv

My eagle came from a church. It had all of the maintance records with it and they did a good job on upkeep.  6 of 8 tires are nearly new as well.

You cant judge all of them off of one experience. Grin
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »

Eric, that's no where near the bus you have. and twice the cost. Ck   tires for dates..is a big cost.  paint is a big expense also.  3 or 4 would be a closer market price. Maybe a little for ac and gen set you set value on it. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:24:33 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »

Ya I didnt pay the posted bus much attention. I was just reading the advice given. IMO just because its a church bus dont mean it couldnt be a good deal in general. I thought I got a good deal on my church bus is all I am saying Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: