Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 09:37:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions needed, which of these two bus's should we get?  (Read 4270 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 06:30:23 PM »

You did Eric! Many churches are fortunate to have someone in the know -but when they don't even know what kind of engine is involved it sort of throws up red flag.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »

There is a nice one on MCIbusTalk that look good.  If I were still looking I would strongly consider this one.   Asking $7500, could be bought for less.

Someone painted over the SS...?   
BTW, all 6V92TAs in busses are turbo charged.  The "T" gives it away.  There were some 8V71Ts also.  
And, there was a 6V71NA that could be found in some older coaches....'60s?   There are also 6/71s that are common in GM coaches.  
Buying a coach more than a few hundred miles away, unless it's just a gottahaveit thing, is risky.   Fuel at $4. bucks a gallon X 6.5 MPG will dig into your wallet.   An even larger issue would be a breakdown.  Tow and storage, plus you're at the mercy of the local repair shops.   Some will ruin your life...and some won't.   I'd keep that purchase fairly close to home if possible.  
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »

Looking for a simple answer and I'm sure your head is really spinning now. Time is your friend, use it to turn over lots and lots of rocks.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Its the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 07:16:22 AM »

If you're on a budget-don't overlook a transit bus.  I have a AMGeneral 10240B.  It is similar to the GMC new looks of the 70's-80's.  I bought mine for $4,000.00.  Granted I did a lot of work on the chassis to get it where I wanted it, but then that was spread out over 10 years.  My bus has 6'10" headroom (I'm 6'3" and can walk under the A/C's) and 22" of under floor space.  I had to build all the brackets to hold the tanks, batteries, and storage compartment.  Also had to create a space, next to the driver's seat like a front engine, for the generator.  Fresh water system is under the raised master bed.

Ultimately, I have 130gal fresh, 85gal gray, 45gal black, 20gal propane, 130gal Diesel, 10kw Powertech Diesel genset, 2-8D deep cycle batteries, a storage compartment that is 66" long x 22" high x 99" wide, plus another storage space that is 18" wide x 22" tall x 34" deep, 3-13,500btu/hr roof top A/C's, and all normal amenities inside. 

Advantages to a transit bus-they are built the toughest of all buses, have the best turning radius, usually use standard truck type equipment.  Disadvantage-they don't have the big cargo compartments so conversion is harder. 

Mechanically wise-I first had the injectors increased from 55 to 65's, Jake brake installed, rear end ratio changed from 5.57 to 4.56 (cruise at 1850rpm which is 58mph), changed grease wheel bearings to oil bearings.  Then had the engine overhauled.  Then had it turbocharged with air to air intercooling, and the transmission overhauled.  Changed from air steering to full hydraulic Sheppard steering.  Replaced all 8 air bags.  Everything in the engine compartment has been rebuilt.  Basically my point-be sure to buy a bus that has the engine/transmission you want and cruises at the speed you want.  It is expensive to change out-as I've found out.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
topfrog007

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 08:25:16 AM »

So seems like the general consensus is that the bus's we've looked at are overpriced and questionable integrity.

Preston - Dothan Alabama - 1986 MCI 102A3
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »

So seems like the general consensus is that the bus's we've looked at are overpriced and questionable integrity.

I personally don't think so. You can't hardly even find a worn out car for that price. If you find a bus in your price range and it has a good engine and trans and also is solid with very little rust, It's worth it!!! Any conversion stuff is a bonus. It's already been said on here that you can't even do any major engine work for that price. So all this saying everything is over priced just blows me away. All I think it's doing, is depreciating the price of all of our buses. (The more people hear it the more they believe it) I would just look over whatever you like maybe even get a second opinion and buy if everything checks out.

Gary

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 09:10:03 AM »

a 102wide transit as mentioned before is fine. As far as compartments, all you have to do after removing the floor and possibly the blower fans is to weld up a long compartment  underneith,  which doesn't take much time, and possibly use the front step area for generator if you like mid entry.  Its not hard. I have done this with a fishbowl, and my flxible. City gears will work, but hwy are much better.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 09:57:31 AM »

Not really telling you to run away. Just concerned. The 9 would be My choice of the two. Even with the miss info on the engine. More used parts available for that model. Drive it for at least 50 miles and see how it acts. In that time any smoke that will should clear up and if it's going to overheat it should. The drips could be coming out of the air box drains and not be a major concern and mostly a lack of use and clear mostly up. A 2 stroke guy in your area could tell you quickly if this be the case.If that is all good and the bus just says to you I'm the one go for it. A local bus lines running Detroit's might be your best source for a mechanics opinion. Might be $100 well spent. I gave $750 at a MCI dealership to have mine run thru their shop(the 8 I bought from them) and everything evaluated and fixed. Some of the best money I ever spent. I ran the 8 for 10 yrs and only put one transfer pump on it ($45).  We will help you with what we can. The paint-if you can paint a car or have a friend that can : that shouldn't be a major concern. You have Depwee on the Board at Ft Walton Beach Fla if you are in Southern Al.  Best of Luck. Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »

Like everyone is stating, wait and find the best bus you can afford. My initial buy was a Prevost from California $29,995 with no rust great condition, 6 speed manual, 8V92T. Drove it back from Reno Nevada to Connecticut $1400 fuel and lodging, food. Blew the power steering pump on the way. Got back and took it to a local bus company. $5300 for ps pump, completely new clutch assembly and a few other things. Six new back tires $1800. Blew an air bag one day out of state, decide to have all 8 replaced plus ps box leaking, $4200. Decide I wanted my over the road air conditioning repaired, rebuilt compressor and complete over haul of the system, $4100. I work full time and don't have time to do the major mechanical myself so I have it done. But as you can see one minor or a major repair can cost a lot of money and if your are not prepaired for it the coach may site for awhile before you come up with the money. This is where people loose interest and then wind up selling for a lose.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 02:29:17 PM »

I would keep looking.. or if you are seriously interested in any of the buses you have mentioned, get someone to inspect them and see what is really there. You never know, The MC-9 leak could be something very minor, or it could be a real costly fix.  You'll know when the right deal comes along. I doubt it will be a 3K bus though. Even with Bus prices low I don't know of anywhere that you can purchase a bus for 3K or even 5K that doesn't have some kind of issues. Even the 20K buses can have issues. I paid 6K for my MC-9 about 8 months ago and yes it also has some issues but so far they have been very minor such as a leaking brake diaphragm. If you can find a decent running coach with no major know problems for 8K than you are much better off than buying a Coach in poor mechanical or structural shape for 4K. I could have bought a partially converted Coach with A/C's, Holding Tanks, Shower, etc for the same price I bought my seated coach but I chose the seated coach because it was in much better mechanical condition, was still tagged and insured, and had been owned by the seller since 1984. Good Luck!!!

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
blank

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 04:29:27 PM »

Just my opinion again. There are Buses out there that would have sold for more than $50K just two years ago, asking less than $10K today just because of the flood of Buses available and the economy. Just because the Bus was listed for $7K, and the selled dropped to $3300, is no reason to be suspect. I would check it out before passing it off out of hand. Its a buyers market, and there are minimal buyers. And because so many sellers think they will sell local, they list local, cutting themselves off from nationwide buyers. IOW, dont let the asking price tell you what the Bus is worth, let it tell you itself, from the horses mouth so to speak.

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »

I'll garuntee that all 20 or 30 year old buses are of "questionable integrity!"   No matter the price.  Be prepared to work on it.  Huh

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
blank

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »

Rather than pick nits over age or integrity, the goal should always be to find the best Bus you can afford, and afford to own, as well as the one that makes you happy. I think everyone realises theyll be spending a chunk of money after the purchase, its getting past the aquisition thats the hard part.

If cost were no object, I would pass by many of the newer Buses, they all look alike and have no real character, excepting perhaps the Prevosts and Eagles. Newer MCI's, from the nine onward, all look like simple boxes. Not that thats a bad thing, if thats what you like, but I get a kick out of the older ones, especially some of the GMC's. Everything doesnt have to have a flat roof.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: