Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:14:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slippery Roofs  (Read 1389 times)
Moof

« on: September 25, 2006, 07:58:35 PM »

Several weeks ago I read the post from one of our members talking about falling off of the roof of their bus.  There was quite a bit of discussion about this.  I have been racking my brain trying to think of a good solution to this problem.   Well today I finally had an idea.  How about using Rhino Lining or a similar product to make a non-skid sidewalk to any area that may need attention?  It would be pretty expensive to do the whole roof, and unnecessary.   They even make this stuff in white.  You could mask off the desired area and lay it down.  No maintenance required.

WHACHATHINK?
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 08:03:15 PM »

Cool! Grin  How about the slip preventive tape (sandpaper like) you see on stairs? It seems pretty tough and built for outdoors?

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 08:06:48 PM »

Hi Jimmy,

Is that Rhino linning non skid?    Great idea if it is...

Oh, That was Ed Skiba [ednj] that took that bouncing fall. [Ouch]

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Moof

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »

It is non-skid.  I've had it in my last two pick-ups.  Doesn't chip, or break apart.  There are kits you can buy to do it yourself, but I don't know what colors are available.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 08:39:32 PM »

Jimmy,

Great Idea!

When I was in the Coast Guard we used to add white sand to the deck paint to make it as non-skid as we needed.

But I think rhino liner or its other varietys would be sturdy enough on its own.

Cliff
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 04:00:17 AM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 02:00:30 AM »

There are all sorts of non-slip products available for boats which would do the job very easily. The cheapest option as has been said is to add sand to gloss paint, although this tends to wear out quite quickly. Using carborumdum grit rather than sand is better, or of course proper non-slip paint. Then you have more expensive options like stick on tape and 'track mat' and the like. No need to re-invent the wheel - just pop down to your local chandlers and you see a whole variety of products available

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 07:43:15 AM »

. . . just pop down to your local chandlers and you see a whole variety of products available. . .

Chandlers?  Huh

A British outfit?

Smiley

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 07:47:42 AM »

Marine Supply?
Richard

. . . just pop down to your local chandlers and you see a whole variety of products available. . .

Chandlers?  Huh

A British outfit?

Smiley

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 07:58:38 AM »

I also think I would only do maybe a 1' strip down the center of the roof.

You wouldn't be able to see it from the ground.

Also any raised surface is going to be a collect all for dirt and grime, so I would keep it to a minimum.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 08:14:23 AM »

While at a big RV shop, I noticed that they had a steel cable at the top of each bay, strung from front to back.  The techs would wear a safety harness and strap onto the cable while working on top.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 08:57:43 AM »

'Chandlery' is equipment fitted to boats, ships, yachts etc, so a chandler is a company or person that supplies such equipment. If you want a 'non-abrasive' or 'non-rough' option (to prevent the attraction of dirt), there is a product called Pro-Grip, which is basically thin sheets of neoprene. It also has the added advantage of not wearing out your clothes - not relevant to the roof of your bus, but an issue with non-slip on the decks and floor of a sailing dinghy for instance.

If you cannot find Pro-Grip by name, you should be able to get neoprene sheet from a saddlery (that's a place that supplies stuff for horses, folks). I believe they sell it for use as padding between the saddle and the horse's back; you want a sheet say 2 or 3mm thick, and stick it down to your roof with contact adhesive. It makes superb non-slip even when wet through.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 03:24:27 PM »

My first thougt were like Cliff's (Florida Cracker).  We used to use 'sand paint' for non-skid surfaces on the large Motor Yachts..and yes
it will collect dirt, mildew, etc. and the brushes, rollers, pans are strictly in the 'throw-away' zone.

So, it's a toss-up as to your safety if you're one to get up on the roof and scrub it to be as bright as the rest of the bus or high maintanance items which might require your presence up there on a regular basis.  The only thing I'm really interested in seeing up there is a reasonably sized duplicate of my State of NC license tag numbers...just in case someone needs to find me or my stolen bus.

Me?  I've already made the determination that if it's up there and needs help...I'll call a paramedic in that field of expertise and ask him to sign a waiver for my insurance company and hope all goes well.  As for me and up there?  Color me sitting under the awning sipping a long tall cool one. Wink

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: