Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 10:53:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Know Alcoa #'s  (Read 2209 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 09:29:55 AM »

I'm wondering if it's possible to modify a hub piloted wheel which is now much more common and available than stud piloted. Assuming the stud diameter and bolt circle are the same, could the stud holes be champhered and the hub bore resized?

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dallas

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 09:40:03 AM »

I'm wondering if it's possible to modify a hub piloted wheel which is now much more common and available than stud piloted. Assuming the stud diameter and bolt circle are the same, could the stud holes be champhered and the hub bore resized?

Len

Len,
I don't think there is.

Stud piloted wheels are mostly SAE (inch) and Hub piloted are mostly Metric.

You may be able to go to your local bearing and wheel place and see if there is a hub that will interchange with your spindle. Or you could go deeper and see if there is a Kingpin/spindle setup that will interchange close enough to make work.

Good luck, no matter what you do.
Also, if you find changeovers, let us know!

Dallas
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 10:52:17 AM »

Looking at the Alcoa website above, these are the measurements for both type wheels

Bolt Circle          Hub Bore       Bolt Hole
Stud Pilot 883110DB     11.25 "              8.73"            1.219"

Hub Pilot  885600DB      285.75 mm        220.1 mm      26.75mm

exactly the         0.065"           0.166"
                                   same                smaller            smaller

I don't know the chamfer angle on the stud holes but it looks like a competent machine shop could modify hub piloted wheels to go on stud pilot wheels without much difficulty.  All the other dimensions are exactly the same.

This is not something I'm considering for myself, just tossing it out for discussion.  It looks like used take off hub piloted wheels are much more readily available.

Len
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 11:35:03 AM by Len Silva » Logged

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 12:27:57 PM »

I will pull the nut off the wheel with the washer on the nut to see if the nut is also champhered it is possible its got some kind of odd ball nut and washer.  My bus and my parts bus were both made in Canada.  Brians old bus was made in the USA that is the one with the nut with washer style nuts.  On the link wayne posted it shows a 10 hole hub piloted bus mounting column (line 15 & 16 ) that uses the two piece flange nut. But I think I got my answer I'll watch for stud located aluminum wheels on the e place. What started this is someone in Canada had a set with no Bids. Thought I'd look to the future. :0

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
n4rsn

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 12:42:07 PM »

The wheels with the washers behind the nut, is called Hub-pilot.
The wheels with the nut chaffered, actually centers the wheel, is called a, BUDD wheel.
Just so you know
Steve
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 02:58:23 PM »

Hello tire changers.

Budd wheels are a popular name for the stud pilot style, with chamferred edges to the holes and fasteners.

Hub pilot use the fasteners with the integrated washer on the nut and have squared off stud holes on the wheels. In the past I have heard them called "motor wheels" and recently some trucking media call them "transit wheels" because they have been very popular with the bus folks for a long time.

You may successfully use a stud pilioted wheel in a hub pilot system, since the chamferred edges are irrelevent, but you may not switch the other way. Square edges on stud holes are not compatible with the chamferred fasteners.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: