Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
January 16, 2018, 09:33:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heads Up Folks! Great opportunity on laminate flooring  (Read 1713 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Webmaster

« on: May 27, 2011, 06:58:43 AM »

If you get the email promos from Lumber Liquidators you've probably seen this. But if you are like me, a lot of promo emails get buy without a close look.

But I scored big time on some really good flooring for my bus at 15 per sq ft.  So it is worth your closer look.  What they are doing is clearing out short lots, odd lots, discontinued varieties, and seconds grade to make room for an inventory push from the central warehouse that is getting ready for a move.

For those who aren't subscribed to their email or are unfamiliar with them:  http://www.lumberliquidators.com/
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:08:30 AM »

that's a great ad... but my closest store is 49.6 miles away... Sad

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
blank

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »

We were just looking at 3/8" bamboo laminate at Lowes for $2.08 sq ft. Wife likes Bamboo, I dont care much one way or the other, more interested in putting it down and forgetting about it. But the Bamboo semed a good match to the hickory cabinets.

Is it safe to assume laminate flooring would be more stable in a Bus/RV, something that may see 100F+ temperture swings?

And in any case, whats the best way to attach it. Staples/nails seem like they would work out, not sure about screw. Maybe some kind of glue a better bet?
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Webmaster

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:20:35 AM »

that's a great ad... but my closest store is 49.6 miles away... Sad

That certainly puts a risk on it since it is first come first serve, and no guarantees about what that store has available.  But on the other hand, with a potential savings of over $2.50/sq ft. it might be worth the risk.  I ended up with high quality flooring I never could have afforded for my bus.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Webmaster

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »

We were just looking at 3/8" bamboo laminate at Lowes for $2.08 sq ft. Wife likes Bamboo, I dont care much one way or the other, more interested in putting it down and forgetting about it. But the Bamboo semed a good match to the hickory cabinets.

Is it safe to assume laminate flooring would be more stable in a Bus/RV, something that may see 100F+ temperture swings?

And in any case, whats the best way to attach it. Staples/nails seem like they would work out, not sure about screw. Maybe some kind of glue a better bet?

My understanding has been that laminate flooring is a "floating" surface.  You leave a gap at all edges to accommodate heat expansion.  The trim molding hides the gap.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »

My understanding has been that laminate flooring is a "floating" surface.  You leave a gap at all edges to accommodate heat expansion.  The trim molding hides the gap.

Thats been my understanding as well. I just went back and read the site again, and see the bamboo is solid, not laminate, my mistake. Thats a heck of a price for solid flooring. But again, how does solid flooring work out in a Bus with potential 100F temp changes?

Which would be more stable to contraction/expansion, laminate or solid?
Van

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:47:12 AM »

Can't speak up for the rest, but we have floating Lam in ours, and it is over a hundred in there almost daily when not occupied. So far it has stood up rather well, even when we developed a leak and got wet. Wink which now has me contemplating on putting some down in the bathroom, we'll see Grin
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:50:12 AM by van » Logged

1989 Model 15 Predator class War Bird
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »

Wood flooring is going to expand and contract at a similar rate as the plywwod floor you are attatching it to that came in the bus from the factory.

The 2 opposing layers of plywood that prevo installed for our floor is installed tight to the framing they did not leave gaps.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:40:59 AM by Joe Camper » Logged

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »

Lumber Liquidaters will ship - my local store did not have in inventory a special price laminate - they shipped 2000 sqft from Georgia and it was still over 25% cheaper than any local dealer (includung the freight) - HTH and FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »

I have a store 18 miles away Grin Shocked
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »

I like the laminate floating floors because of their minimal maintanance and it is so easy to put in.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 06:21:14 AM »

Another plus for laminate flooring is that it doesn't scratch like real wood. A rock stuck in the sole of a shoe can be woods worst nightmare.

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
blank

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 07:15:13 AM »

I put floating laminate in the Bounder. I dont like how it feels "loose". Probably more my imagination than reality, knowing its not fastened down, bouncing down the road.

If I did it again I am strongly considering stapling it down along the back edge like one would nail hardwood.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: